Your top 5 dances of 2017!

Please list if you will, your top 5 dances of 2017 or one that stick in your mind more than the rest. They can all be with one person or more. But you can only choose 5 or less :)

I will start with mine. My top two were with locals (though one isn't local anymore). Other two were in Berlin and Warsaw. The last is very hard to decide.

1. With Masha (of Milton-Masha Jack and Jill) when she was visiting the hometown from Spain early last year, to the 'San Francisco' song.

2. With Natasha at the SF salsa festival in April. It was a music with a lot of hard hitting fast and changing percussion beats in it.

3. At Berlin salsa congress. I don't remember where she was from but a fantastic dancer. Danced with her after Smejmoon had pointed her out and recommended.

4. The Polish girl at Warsaw Congress about whom I briefly mentioned before elsewhere. Absolute delight to dance with.

5. With a Morrocan girl from Rabbat, at Marrakech congress at end of the night. Very few people left at 5am in the morning. It was a slightly longer song with a lot of percussion in it and after the dance we both were totally breathless. She immediately pulled a couple of her friends and introduced them to me, telling them that they have to dance with me. We later dance again the next day as well as at Amsterdam congress but could never reproduce the same magic.

1. Salsa. My last song in 2017 with a guy from California, I mentioned him before. He is the top. I have not danced with a leader like him before. But I forget his name...:oops:
2. Salsa. Ronaldo, he is originally from Spain but lives in Toronto, I feel freedom dancing with him. He can do everything so easy. We can dance the whole night.
3. Salsa. Bachata. Marian, my favorite leader who lives in Toronto but he is from Ukraine. He has a very solid dancing background(hip-hop, WCS) he is absolutely different from all dance partners I had. He is totally musical, he is unpredictable, I have to maintain my focus during the whole song. At first, it was hard to dance with him, but the more I dance with him the more I like doing that. I even cannot compare him with other leaders.
4. Bachata. Asian guy...I do not know his name but he is so smoth. He is amazing.
5. Kizomba. A guy from Peru. It was magic.
:) But I am sure my best dance everer is waiting for me in 2018:inlove"

I'm not really sure if these really are my top 5. It's so hard to choose. But here goes.
-1-
Who: A friend of mine, we're now on the same team.
What: I don't remember the song.
When: 3 months ago
Where: Boston social
Why: I talked about this before... this was a dance where we connected in shines. I'm not that good at shines, I have my usual grab-bag of things to do. She took what I was doing and imitated it, played around with it. Then it became a give and take, like a drummer and dancer in Bomba. It was very fun and was the first dance to come to mind for this year.

-2-
Who: An acquaintance, whom I've danced with a few times but didn't truly know me that well.
When: Halloween
Why: I wore a mask and she didn't recognize me. She was dying to know who I was at the end of the song.

-3-
Who: I don't know her.
What: Sin poderte hablar by Willie Colón
When: Some point in the summer
Where: LVG in NYC
Why: One of my favorite songs to both listen and dance to. It was just a rare musical dance for me. She was a good dancer and we connected well with each other and to the song.

-4-
Who: One of the main dancers from Huracán in Queens, NY
What: Timbalaye by Los Hacheros, live
When: Early August
Where: Boston Salsa Fest
Why: Once again one of my favorite songs, and in previous dances when I danced with her, I felt we connected. This was just another level.

-5-
Who: A Mexican girl, the only person who knew how to dance on2 in a crowd of generally non-dancing Puerto Ricans
What: Mi bandera by Richie Ray and Bobby Cruz, live
When: mid January
Where: Fiestas de la calle San Sebastián in Old San Juan, PR
Why: I had scoped out this one girl who was dancing with just one guy, and they were dancing on2. She was the best dancer in the crowd. The concert by Richie Ray & Bobby Cruz was epic, they have so many hits... it was the best live salsa show I've been to. And free! I waited for them to play one of my favorites, and although "Mi bandera" is cheesy, I do love it and it's the type of song to whip people in a patriotic frenzy. So I asked to dance with her. This was on concrete. We started dancing, and people formed a circle. I know the song so it was decently musical, and tricky, but she understood everything and it was a lot of fun. At the end people clapped. My family was all there watching from farther up in the stands. My dad was grinning like I had just won a race or something. My mom looked at me like I was an alien when I went back. In a good way. I felt like that was when she finally understood how all my 'salsa de salón' actually translates in a real-life, normal setting. Translated quite well.

azana

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s only the start of January but I just had my best dance of 2018! I can’t see it being topped :) A teacher at Mongo’s in La Paz, Bolivia. He came over to me in the group of Bolivian friends I’d made with a huge smile, grabbed my hand, pulled me out onto the floor. The timing! The control, the musicality, the energy, the smile...! Believe it or not, it was to Lloraras :) but a terrific live version of the song, went on and on, but we didn’t care! The conga playing singer was terrific. People at the party asked me to join them for another party on the outskirts of La Paz tonight, but unfortunately I’m moving on to Uyuni. Still buzzing from the great scene in La Paz and that dance :)

-2-
Who: An acquaintance, whom I've danced with a few times but didn't truly know me that well.
When: Halloween
Why: I wore a mask and she didn't recognize me. She was dying to know who I was at the end of the song.
Ha, I remember the exact same thing happened with me in 2016, danced with you at the Halloween social in Boston and didn't recognize you as you were wearing the mask and was dying to know who you were :)

I don't have top 5 dances. I have top 5 parties :). I have the exact dates listed somewhere, but figured it wasn't necessary to include them.

1 - January monthly linear party (Norika's with DJ Stilo): It was my second party of 2017 and I had just undergone a dark period in my dancing where I didn't feel like I was connecting at all. This party changed that and was the catalyst for the next evolution in my dancing.

2 - July monthly mambo party (LF with DJ Greg): It was a great night capped by a surprise b-day party for me thrown by my best friend. Made a great evening even more special.

3 - August monthly party (Vienna Social Club with DJ Sonja): A special guest DJ from Russia came and spun really good tunes that night. I was on fire that night and was one of my best times ever dancing in Vienna.

4 - September monthly linear party (Norika's with DJ Maro): This occurred when I was at the height of my dancing ability in 2017. Having just come back from BOB, I was feeling at the top of my game. Many great dances with many people I know.

5 - May Wednesday mambo social (LF with DJ Filip): I had just travelled back from Ljubljana that night and came straight to this party with luggage in hand to celebrate my best friend's birthday. The smile on her face when she saw me was enough to put this party on my top 5.

1. Salsa. My last song in 2017 with a guy from California, I mentioned him before. He is the top. I have not danced with a leader like him before. But I forget his name...:oops:
2. Salsa. Ronaldo, he is originally from Spain but lives in Toronto, I feel freedom dancing with him. He can do everything so easy. We can dance the whole night.
3. Salsa. Bachata. Marian, my favorite leader who lives in Toronto but he is from Ukraine. He has a very solid dancing background(hip-hop, WCS) he is absolutely different from all dance partners I had. He is totally musical, he is unpredictable, I have to maintain my focus during the whole song. At first, it was hard to dance with him, but the more I dance with him the more I like doing that. I even cannot compare him with other leaders.
4. Bachata. Asian guy...I do not know his name but he is so smoth. He is amazing.
5. Kizomba. A guy from Peru. It was magic.
:) But I am sure my best dance everer is waiting for me in 2018:inlove"
Thank you - I also enjoyed dancing with you Marisha ;)

Dance Ads