What was your hobby before salsa?

David

Administrator
Staff member
I assume before you became addicted to salsa, you were doing something else on a more regular basis. For me it was taekwondo. From age 5 until age 21 I was Regularly sparring with taekwondo partners. But toward the end I got injured. I got punched in the spine, Fell on my shoulder from a high kick, and the very last time I set foot in a dojo, I got kicked in the groin. I laid on the mat and sweated profusely for 45 minutes. That was it for me. It took me another year to find dancing, and I have not turned back since.

Still doing them: golf, badminton and riding a bicycle.
My bike riding increased when I moved from the suburbs to the city that is rated #1 or #2 bike friendly in the US. I also play more golf now after I figured out how NOT to stress my right elbow in my swing. Badminton has remained steady at 1-2 per week and now it is year round as I found a badminton group in Colombia when I am here for the winter.

I used to do a lot of fan fiction writing for Star Trek (I was a huuuuuuuge Trekker). My hobby was participating in real-time online chat room simulations based on the Star Trek universe where you assume a role on a starship and move up the ranks. It was quite social, educational and fun. Did it for 9 years. before I found Salsa

Lifting weights (which I still do, but not as frequently unfortunately), playing Magic: the Gathering (a strategy game) extensively, table top role-playing games (which I still do), some computer/console gaming (which I no longer do). #nerrrrrrddd

It's hard to remember that I did other things before salsa. Immediately before, I think my hobby was my work, travelling and going to music concerts. I have had other hobbies in the past like taekwondo when I was much younger, and after that generally attempting to be sporty, but I think at the time, salsa filled the void that people normally use for hobbies.

Lifting weights (which I still do, but not as frequently unfortunately), playing Magic: the Gathering (a strategy game) extensively, table top role-playing games (which I still do), some computer/console gaming (which I no longer do). #nerrrrrrddd
On my flight to Warsaw for the congress in nov, the guy seating next to me was going to the magic convention in Warsaw the same weekend. I had no idea what magic was till we started talking. I convinced him he should get into salsa dancing as well :) He did mention that magic conventions were heavily male dominated.

"Heavily male dominated" might be an understatement! We're probably talking like 2-5% females. Not the best place to meet girls :p

It's a pretty fascinating game, and fairly complex.

table top role playing
computer gaming (on and off line)
binge watching TV shows
taking long walks with the dog
gathering information about a lot of stuff and analyzing it (nature sciences, history, behavioral/socio-psychology)

Role playing is down to Zero since 3 months. But will try to restart on a weekly basis after I moved as I am really missing it. Hard to find groups if 5 evenings are reserved for dancing.
Computer gaming is down to 10-20 hours per week (from 30-100).
The binge watching is completely canceled. No real loss there.
The dog walks have shortened. But that is mainly thanks to work time occupation. Actually they were a prelude to a more movement based dance style, took them up in the 2 years before I started dancing.
Dancing (with the focus on the lead-follow-communication system) has become a focus for the information gathering and analyzing.

For me, it was snowboarding (the source of my screen name). Now I'll only go 2-3 times per season, where I used to go 20+. I also spent a lot of time on my open-source project, which is now fairly dormant.
Seems like a lot of us guys are nerds.:vulcan:

like this thread.:inlove"
I still do it in the summer, late spring and fall. Rollerblading...I am a rollerblader. Love it so much. In the winter I usually handmade(knitting, embroidery):) also I like kayaking..summer time.

Dance Ads