What makes a favourite lead/follow?

MacMoto said:
I've been thinking about this question for a while, and I think what makes my favourite leaders is down to something quite simple: I like guys I feel I can follow well. The guys on my "favourite leaders" list are ones that make me feel I've had a good dance almost every time I dance with them. I'm not sure if these are guys who are good at adjusting to the way I follow, or if their lead simply matches my following habit - maybe a bit of both? If the leader is also playful and has a similar feel for music to mine, that's a bonus. But there are many great leaders who have a nice personality, a sense of fun and wonderful musicality but not on my fave list simply because I personally can't follow them well enough to feel good at the end of the song.

Great point!

Brownskin818 said:
I just like a guy who's good at his chosen niche.

If it's a musical guy, I loooooooove when he can not only hit the breaks himself, but lead ME into hitting the breaks. Those are the best b/c I don't have to think about hijacking to get my hit in. :lol:

If it's a pattern guy, I looooooove when I get unfamiliar moves that I can follow as if I knew them already.

If it's a smooth guy, I just love being able to feel like I'm floating through the dance.
HAVE to add... not sure if I just realized this or if my dancing has progressed to now needing this... but I NEED high impact dances. I need to race through a dance. I need to fall out on the nearby carpet after the dance from having been worked out THAT much. Automatic fix.

I.LOVE.THAT.FEELING

Brownskin818 said:
Brownskin818 said:

If it's a musical guy, I loooooooove when he can not only hit the breaks himself, but lead ME into hitting the breaks. Those are the best b/c I don't have to think about hijacking to get my hit in. :lol:

If it's a pattern guy, I looooooove when I get unfamiliar moves that I can follow as if I knew them already.

If it's a smooth guy, I just love being able to feel like I'm floating through the dance.
HAVE to add... not sure if I just realized this or if my dancing has progressed to now needing this... but I NEED high impact dances. I need to race through a dance. I need to fall out on the nearby carpet after the dance from having been worked out THAT much. Automatic fix.

I.LOVE.THAT.FEELING

Nice, guess that is why a good restaurant has key options to be able to cater to a both a variety of customers and each customer's given moods/craving.

*as a dancer, I see myself more as the fun, flirty, make you giggle lead but one key strength is that if I do not have it on the menu, I can refer you to the best place in town to get what you want (from knowing a lot of the good leads in town, I can introduce people :) :) :) )

This makes me feel incredibly good as I see two people having a great time!

smiling28 said:
Brownskin818 said:
Brownskin818 said:

I.LOVE.THAT.FEELING

Nice, guess that is why a good restaurant has key options to be able to cater to a both a variety of customers and each customer's given moods/craving.

*as a dancer, I see myself more as the fun, flirty, make you giggle lead but one key strength is that if I do not have it on the menu, I can refer you to the best place in town to get what you want (from knowing a lot of the good leads in town, I can introduce people :) :) :) )

funny how it took me going a whiiiiiiiile without this sort of dance fix, then getting it again, to remember how much i needed it. te he. and woo hoo to having a dance card already lined up for whenever i visit down under!! same courtesy back atcha should u make it out to LA. :mrgreen:

Brownskin818 said:
I.LOVE.THAT.FEELING
I love feeling like I have just been on a ride.
I love it when I get to laugh.
I love when I feel like I'm gliding or floating.
I love it when I am challenged but also can keep up and I feel the lead is creative.

If any one of these things happens even if it is not in the same dance then I'm happy.

Brownskin818 said:
smiling28 said:
Brownskin818 said:
Brownskin818 said:

I.LOVE.THAT.FEELING

funny how it took me going a whiiiiiiiile without this sort of dance fix, then getting it again, to remember how much i needed it. te he. and woo hoo to having a dance card already lined up for whenever i visit down under!! same courtesy back atcha should u make it out to LA. :mrgreen:

Brilliant and honoured to dance with you whenever and whereever :) :) :)

Brownskin818 said:

I.LOVE.THAT.FEELING
I love those too, but the real fix for me comes from a slooowww salsa with a butter-smooth musical leader. Haven't had one in a long time and gosh do I miss it. Something like "Cuando Hablan Las Miradas" or "Por Que Adore" with a certain few leaders can give me sweet dreams for weeks.

noobster said:
Brownskin818 said:

I.LOVE.THAT.FEELING
I love those too, but the real fix for me comes from a slooowww salsa with a butter-smooth musical leader. Haven't had one in a long time and gosh do I miss it. Something like "Cuando Hablan Las Miradas" or "Por Que Adore" with a certain few leaders can give me sweet dreams for weeks.

mmmmm, thank you for describing my dream :)

noobster said:
Brownskin818 said:

I.LOVE.THAT.FEELING
i love those toooooooo. but those are some of my rarest dances! MANY salseros just cant dance slow. i totally understand though, b/c as i leader i cant either. but i do appreciate the opp when i get it as a follower.

inspiration for another thread i think...

As long as the girl has a good attitude, I'm good. If she smiles/laughs even when we (I) mess up, she's a "keeper". Also, I really really like girl styling, no matter how simple it is. It just makes dancing that much more satisfying. =)

I personally don't care about a girl's level (not that I'm all that, anyway) as long as she has a good attitude. I could do basic, single turns and cross body leads all day as long as she's still smiling, haha.

pedro said:
As long as the girl has a good attitude, I'm good. If she smiles/laughs even when we (I) mess up, she's a "keeper". Also, I really really like girl styling, no matter how simple it is. It just makes dancing that much more satisfying. =)

I personally don't care about a girl's level (not that I'm all that, anyway) as long as she has a good attitude. I could do basic, single turns and cross body leads all day as long as she's still smiling, haha.
nice post and welcome!

Completely agree :)

My favorite follow?

It is a woman that I want to take into my arms and dance and make love a little bit on the dance floor and the reason, it don't matter. There are some women I do not want to take into my arms and maybe there can be many reason why not. But I like to try first!

My favorite follower is a lady who knows how to have fun, doesn't take things too seriously, knows how to move on their own, likes to play off what I am doing and can add a lot of style while still following what it is I am leading. There is a fine line between someone who styles gracefully and someone who is just showing off dancing with themselves.

Really I have different moods that require different kinds of followers but that is my favorite.

MacMoto

Administrator
Staff member

Now that I'm dancing as a leader more, I'm beginning to appreciate this point greatly. The follower's attitude really makes a HUGE difference - much bigger than her skills, connection, etc. Yes it's lovely to dance with a follower who is skilled and has just the right tension, but the followers who look HAPPY when dancing with me are the ones I enjoy leading.

Before I started leading, I assumed that this applied to both leaders and followers equally. Now I feel there's a difference. When I'm following, I'm okay with leaders who look serious as long as their lead feels good; when leading, I find good followers who don't smile or make eye contact quite intimidating. Maybe it's because I'm not (yet :p) a competent leader, but I need to feel reassured that followers are happy to be dancing with me.

MacMoto

Administrator
Staff member
:Bump:

I was thinking about starting a thread where people can post top ten things followers/leaders do that you love but then realised that there is one already :)

Dance Ads