What I'm listening to right now...

I assume you understand the language:) I do not understand the language and for me, singer's voice is like one more musical instrument. Usually I like it, sometimes I do not. I want to learn Spanish because it will help me to understand salsa songs better as well as Latin culture. A song is not just music it is also poetry, and you are right, the music and the words together dictate how we suppose to dance. :)
Ah OK. Although I think there are lots of people who speak Spanish and still really like the instrumentals. But yes, I am obsessive about lyrics so I studied Italian so I could understand Eros Ramazotti and mainly learned Spanish via song lyrics - at least to begin with. And knowing what the songs are about definitely affect my dancing, although it is within the limits allowed by the leader. The best is when you find a dance partner who is also playing with the lyrics in the way their dance, their attitude etc. I'm sure you've seen the classic Farah and Osbanis video. that's an example of people who are really enjoying the lyrics and playing with them during the dance.

EDIT: Knowing the lyrics also affects how much I like a song. Good lyrics make me like a song even more - so it's not just how good the music is to dance to but what they are talking about. In fact one really great dance song (for fans of classic timba) "Hagamos un chen" I stopped listening to once I understood all of the lyrics. Of course they are nothing like what you get in reggaeton nowadays. So maybe I should dust it off now that I'm used to things like el palon divino and El Taxi LOL

Last edited:
Everytime I dance it's different, even if it's the same song with the same partner.
Impressive:)
I think knowing the meaning of the song can mostly affect solo styling, if only one parhtner understand a song. If both partners understand a song, it is much more fun, and experience is much more enjoyable. So, in order to create a story dancers have deeply understood the meaning of the song, and be able to interpret this meaning musically through their bodies and interaction. :)

Unfortunately not.
As far as I remember it never happened that I've danced more than twice or three times on the same song with the same follow.

It just means that the circumstances are different. Maybe I'm not at my best, or my partner. Or the dancefloor is much more crowded than the first time or less.
Also it's not a choreography of course. Just because I know the song doesn't mean I know exactly what I'm going to do.

Unfortunately not.
As far as I remember it never happened that I've danced more than twice or three times on the same song with the same follow.

It just means that the circumstances are different. Maybe I'm not at my best, or my partner. Or the dancefloor is much more crowded than the first time or less.
Also it's not a choreography of course. Just because I know the song doesn't mean I know exactly what I'm going to do.
Yes, you are right. It requires also a constant partner who is also like you willing to dive deep into music and a song. It is impossible to do if people are in a rush, it takes time. But I want to try it. It is interesting what results I can get even if I do not have a constant partner.:D

From Terence:) Added them to my playlist.
Los Imaguas... 1920
El combo antilliano.. Bellas Cubanos:dancingbanana::dancingbanana:
Modesta aparte... Tras la tormenta ( I am not sure about this one, I think I found a wrong song):panda:

Dance Ads