Vienna salsa congress

Some one please tell me that , this is not representative of the dance level..
Though there are some really good dancers, I would say this does represent average dance level. Many of the attendees at the Congress have usually no more than 3 years of dance experience. There are more inexperienced (3 years or less) than experience dancers (6 or more years).

This video was probably shot late near the end. Hence the floor is largely empty. Given the mix of people representing only a small sample of the evening at it's peak, I still think it does represent the dance level at that event.

Errr, no, Steve covers everyone, that's what I like about him, unlike a lot of other Salsa videographers who mainly film the superstars/celebs. As he told us one time he's about creating memories.
If that is the case then I don't know why he has covered some people multiple times while not covering others. Agree he can't cover everyone. But when there are some people who have been covered three or four times, it is an hard argument to make.

Many of the videos from Vienna were of "no-name" dancers. There were a few pros in attendance, but I saw many locals and lesser known people who would never be showcased in some of the other big festivals. I was surprised at just how many videos were taken from the VSC this year. It was like he was video taping non-stop. I found those Vienna videos to be quite refreshing.
Vienna was not a small congress. It was medium size. Video coverage of other congresses (e.g. Warsaw, Berlin, etc) is fairly similar to Vienna's. People covered are also the same :)

If that is the case then I don't know why he has covered some people multiple times while not covering others.
I agree that he covered some people 2-3 times when 1 was enough. The relatively low star power level at the event also meant that he could have shot a variety of other dancers instead of the same ones (eg. Panagiotis).

If that is the case then I don't know why he has covered some people multiple times while not covering others. Agree he can't cover everyone. But when there are some people who have been covered three or four times, it is an hard argument to make.
I judge him by his work at the Paris socials, and there he seems to cover a wide cross section of dancers and yes It does seem that there are some dancers he films regularly, but it also seems that he films lots of "unheralded" dancers. I ask you to take a look at the following vid on youtube
Vinz & Léa - Social Dancing @ Sal'Sounds 70's
And tell me if most videographers would film it or let alone post it. I still say he films everyone, you just have to be in the right place and the right time;)

you just have to be in the right place and the right time;)
No question about that! That still doesn't let me give him a pass for filming at least 3 or 4 people at least 3 times and other 2 or 3 twice :p, so much so that I can remember the names of the repeat videos :D And I am really bad at recalling names! The repeats made up about 50% of the videos posted on the YouTube by him. May be there are more but only the old ones from 2013 and 2015 started showing up.

There was one particular leader who is really good. I seen him at a few congresses but no clip of his. Plus a few other followers who were very good. Was hoping to see them on the clips. Just wish more diversity is shown - good, bad and ugly :)

I think there is a bit too cliqueness.

Vinz & Léa - Social Dancing @ Sal'Sounds 70's
Has covered Vinz twice the same night, and at least three times. Has covered Lea four or five times, at least twice on the same night. Now that's the quirk of YouTube search results, since I copy pasted the bolded part from your post.

Which makes my point rather than refute it, though unfairly to starmambo. Unfairly because shooting a regular social over the course of year and more, there will be many repeats even by pure randomness.

At most congresses there were at least two or three videographers. Yes it seemed they were filming randomly in the same way photographers picked the targets randomly - right place at right time as you said.

But filming same people thrice is certainly not random :) And that is my whole point.

Aside, on a different topic related to shooting videos. If were a video guy, I would shoot one couple for minute or so and move to the next couple. That way I could have three or four couples seen dancing to the same song in one clip. That is far more interesting video to me. Usually I don't watch more than 40 to 50 seconds of any video.

Last edited:

Dance Ads