Vienna salsa congress

Other than thepresenceon2 and me, who else from SF is attending the Vienna Salsa Congress (VSC). If the pre-party from last night is anything to go by, this could shape up to be a good one. I got lazy after the experiences of other pre-parties this year and went only for the last hour. The place was still rocking and didn't get a single bad dance. Almost all songs were good. Only one bachata in that hour (I think someone requested it from the DJ).

Already danced with a few Romanians, Russians and Dutch plus a few locals. Most people are expected later today on Friday as is often the case with most festivals.

The organization is top notch. Very communicative. They ran out of the tickets and there are no tickets available for Friday and Saturday. Met a couple of locals who were out of luck. The venues is very centrally located and beautiful.

Just when I was getting tried of the festivals...

I was at the pre-party last night too! Shame we didn't see each other. Was there from 10:30pm to 2:00am and left because I had to wake up to go to work today :p

The vibe was good last night. Much better than usual in Vienna. People were friendly and got asked a lot to dance.

I also do not have a pass so I can not attend the weekend parties.

Enjoy your time in Vienna. Glad you had a great time :)

I was at the pre-party last night too! Shame we didn't see each other. Was there from 10:30pm to 2:00am and left because I had to wake up to go to work today :p

The vibe was good last night. Much better than usual in Vienna. People were friendly and got asked a lot to dance.

I also do not have a pass so I can not attend the weekend parties.

Enjoy your time in Vienna. Glad you had a great time :)
I thought today is a holiday here. I got there late because I wasn't anticipating the pre-party to be so good! Definitely very friendly crowd as I was telling others. Don't encounter any negatives attitudes or vibes.

We can still meet for lunch or coffee over he weekend :) and what about the afternoon social. I don't think they will be checking tickets tomorrow for the Christmas market party?

I definitely find Viennese to be very friendly otherwise too. The city is growing on me!

Last edited:
I thought today is a holiday here. I got there late because I wasn't anticipating the pre-party to be so good! Definitely very friendly crowd as I was telling others. Don't encounter any negatives attitudes or vibes.

We can still meet for lunch or coffee over he weekend :) and what about the afternoon social. I don't think they will be checking tickets tomorrow for the Christmas market party?

I definitely find Viennese to be very friendly otherwise too. The city is growing on me!
I wish I could make it, but I'm feeling the pinch right now. I think I have to shack up here for the weekend

If anything changes, I will let you know. Visit as many Christmas markets as you can and don't forget trying the kinderpunsch! :)

Friday night report:

This is turning out to be almost perfect Congress. Hands down, this Congress beats every other I been to, when it comes to the venue. It has the most beautiful and picturesque venue. The floor is very good. The tall ceilings mean it doesn't get hot. The crowd size is almost perfect. The dance floor wasn't crazy crowded. Because the organizers restricted the tickets sold and there are no tickets at the door.

Music all through the night was consistently good. Danced from 10pm to 7.30am. Only interruption were the shows. Only eight performances. No stage and the performances were like those your see at your local socials, where people gather around the dance floor to watch.

Over all very friendly crowd, good vibes and no bad attitude. Didn't see the cliquey crowd. That alone makes the Congress good :)

The gender ratio into me appeared fairly balanced. There were almost same men seating on the sidelines as the ladies. One of my regular follower friend said that many men were not good dancers.

I think there were many ladies that were on 1 dancers. One of the NYC leaders was complaining about on1 dancers. I must have got at least twenty ladies who asked me for a dance.

There is a Russian invasion. Super Mario who was doing the mc during shows announced that there are 100+ people attending from Russia.

Today evening was outdoors dancing in the sub-zero temperature at the famous Christmas market in karlsplatz. It is right across from the venue. When I got there, a big rueda was in progress. It was a lot of fun dancing in heavy winter gear. I think there should be videos on the FB.

They played some good timba, salsa and bachata music for the last hour that I was there. This Congress is definitely proving to be a lots of fun!

Time to go for the night dancing. The dress code is 'Royal' something and no one knows exactly what it means :D

I really like it as well, maybe I met/danced with some of you guys :) the night is still young
I haven't danced with any guy yet :)

I will be at the afternoon social. Come and say hi. How do we recognize you? I am flying out today evening so won't be doing the night dancing.

Saturday night:

Was similar to Friday night. The music was again very good. Earlier in the night my feet were still sleepy and tired from dancing nine hours straight the Friday night. It might be me, I thought the Friday night dancing was a notch better. Danced about seven hours with breaks in between. There was a lot more Cha Cha, almost one every 20 to 25 minutes. Most Cha Cha songs were good. A lot of good medium tempo music on Saturday night.

I think the Bachata room closed early, like 4am. Don't know if there restarted it. The Cuban room had hardly a dozen dancers each time I checked it. Kizomba was moved to the smaller room (swapped with bachata). Again, all to the action was in the salsa room.

I felt the crowd was a tad bit less (probably all those taking workshops left early). At the peak, there were more followers in one side of room, while the opposite side was balanced.

Both nights, they play the official late song and then continue to play for another 30-45 minutes. Plenty of dancers at the end on both nights. I liked the last hour's music today compared to Friday's end hour music (up tempo hard hitting precussion). I prefer slower or more classic music with slow to medium tempo for the last hour. It gives opportunity to dance with either the favorite followers or the best dancers (usually there is a correlation between good dancers, the music and the last two hours).

Later today is the afternoon social.

Interesting it happened three times yesterday and today - when I asked the some of the better followers, they wanted to sit out the timba songs.

Afternoon social in fill swing. They moved it to the bigger room. For first ninety minutes it was our salsa. No bachata or other stuff.

Other good thing is that on all days i didn't need to use the ear plugs..The volume was just right if you were 10 feet further from the speakers.

There are many videos from Vienna Congress on YouTube now. I watchss first ten to fifteen seconds of the videos. Almost all have very good music and I don't think I came across any that had music I didn't like. Confirms that the music at this Congress was really good.

I noticed the videos are posted by starmamabo (not sure who that is). I didn't find videos of some of the dancers I like. Where as certain people have been recorded two or three times. I am guessing the videographer is mostly recording the people he knows (from the fact the names of most dancers are mentioned in video title?). And many of them are regular congress attendees.

Which kind of makes my point that the YouTube videos don't represent state/level of salsa dancing at the congresses. Nor can you see many of the good dancers.

I noticed the videos are posted by starmamabo (not sure who that is). ... I am guessing the videographer is mostly recording the people he knows (from the fact the names of most dancers are mentioned in video title?).
Steve 'Starmambovideo' is a videographer from Paris. He regularly shoots the 2 famous parties in Paris (LeSalsa'Club & Sal'Sounds 70) and in 2017 a few congresses (Berlin salsa congress, PISC, ...) booked him as well - my guess is that PISC 2016 really started it. I think that people like it, perhaps even more than fotos + he has good gear, so the videos are HD and with good enough lighting. I'm sure he mainly covers the dancers he already knows, as it is usually the advanced (though that might very well be a subjective opinion) dancers, but I think in Berlin I saw him also ask the dancers for their names.

He's got a youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/StarMamboVideo) and a FB channel (https://www.facebook.com/STARMAMBOVIDEO75000/).

I'm sure he mainly covers the dancers he already knows, as it is usually the advanced (though that might very well be a subjective opinion) dancers, but I think in Berlin I saw him also ask the dancers for their names.
Errr, no, Steve covers everyone, that's what I like about him, unlike a lot of other Salsa videographers who mainly film the superstars/celebs. As he told us one time he's about creating memories.

Errr, no, Steve covers everyone, that's what I like about him, unlike a lot of other Salsa videographers who mainly film the superstars/celebs. As he told us one time he's about creating memories.
That makes it even better, glad to hear that. Though I must say that looking at the videos from congresses, you usually see the same bunch of dancers even though there were 1000s attending, coincidence? ... maybe the rest of the dances was just not good enough :D + I'm pretty sure that the girls are much happier about having a video of their dancing with some famous salsa star than with some no-name dancer, regardless of which dance was actually better.

Personally I think the videos are so much better than photos. With photos I might look at them if it is a small event where I happen to know 50% of the dancers, but it's simply pointless for events with thousands of dancers. And I'm sure as hell not going to browse through the photos if I didn't attend that event. With video, it's the opposite. I'll gladly work my way through all the videos even though I haven't been to the event as it gives me so much more.

It's also a great promotion for the festival - you can check the music, dance level, floor, room, ambience, etc. in the video which would never be possible from the photos.

Though I must say that looking at the videos from congresses, you usually see the same bunch of dancers even though there were 1000s attending, coincidence?
Many of the videos from Vienna were of "no-name" dancers. There were a few pros in attendance, but I saw many locals and lesser known people who would never be showcased in some of the other big festivals. I was surprised at just how many videos were taken from the VSC this year. It was like he was video taping non-stop. I found those Vienna videos to be quite refreshing.

Dance Ads