Software for Salsa DJs recommendations ( simple,good,no need scratching mixing)

in which area do you find that virtual DJ doesnt meet your needs?

i think it has just about all the features you mentioned there.
To answer your question with specifics I started VirtualDJ and then could not find 'configure' button. It did no respond to keyboard shortcut I defined, and (that's how) I know it does not have predefined. Does that answer your question? :) I can't even verify if it meets my needs, without some hacking, because current skin fails me.

Originally Posted by Smejmoon
Also I'm quite annoyed that most software tries to emulate vinil - so backwards and wasteful.
in what way do you mean?
The focus of functionality and design. Usability is sacrificed to antique mockery. I'm not saying any of that software is bad. I'm saying it's designed with different situation in mind that salsa dj is facing.

Could you tell what functionality you use for salsa, matty?

matty

Son Montuno
Could you tell what functionality you use for salsa, matty?
yep
  • automatic gain correction kind of speaks for itself
  • these days i find it guesses to almost 100% accuracy the BPMs of the songs, and i think they have improved this a lot over the years. it used to get them wrong a lot, and i would have to edit it manually
    i can A-Z the BPMs when i want to find a nice & slow song etc.
  • sort by genre, date last played, artist etc.....
  • you can add a comment field (maybe you could use that for "dance-ability"
i use it when a promoter wants a certain few songs played at specific times in the night.. stuff like that
or to label some songs that i know certain local dance instructors like to use for Ruedas etc..

i use it with a controller for the following:

• EQ : bass mid treble
normally i leave these alone but sometimes with an old song i will have to turn one EQ a little.
the furthest i will go with this is about 20% -/+
favouring the (-) over the (+) if you know what i mean.

• volume fader for each song

1. even with autogain, you cant ever trust 100% a machine to do a mans job IMO
2. some songs have a very loud abrupt beginning so i start it at about 80% and edge the volume fader up to lessen the sudden blow to peoples ears.

• i use the jog wheels ( like a small turntable platter)
    to scroll around and find the right point in the song (start point in the case of salsa)

so even if there is silence between the songs, its intentional silence, not accidental

in effect, i normally hit play on song B a musically favourable number of "beats" after the end of song A, im sure nobody notices but to me this makes it sound seemless from a musical point of view.

• can fade stuff out
    ok strictly speaking, salsa people do not want songs faded out. but people here tend to ask for that awful birthday salsa song sometimes , and once the birthday hype dies down , unless people are actually dancing to this song, i try to move swiftly along ASAP;)

having the controller means you can control all this instantly without having to fidget with a mousepad & stare at a computer looking like your checking your emails.

• playlist
    you can queue up songs in a playlist by dragging them in
    this is similar to the old vinyl days where i would set aside a bunch of records i was planning on playing.

of course if nature calls, or an insistant lady wants a dance, you can just hit the "automix button" and the computer carry on being a salsa DJ without you LOL
    the settings can be adjusted to do this exactly how you want it to.

for me, this is mostly just to allow me to relax and concentrate on the dance without having to think how many seconds are left in the song. IMO theres nothing that looks more unprofessional than running back to equipment

The focus of functionality and design. Usability is sacrificed to antique mockery. I'm not saying any of that software is bad. I'm saying it's designed with different situation in mind that salsa dj is facing

• you can download custom skins &
    you can design your own skin to look any way you want, and have any features you want... i would love to see one customised for salsa actually!
    i just use the "netbook" skin because i have a netbook;)

i think the image of those two record players is on the default skin just a ploy to gain the trust of the old vinyl heads who cant relax unless they can see a piece of vinyl actually turning
it worked on me LOL
but its no longer present on the skin i use.;)

• non salsa use
    i also play latin crossover where i can mix to my hearts content but anyway who knows when you might be required to play some songs that are not salsa for a while, its good to be prepared and able to show you are well capable of it (without having to switch to another program your not used to) it can also be controlled with a cd player or a vinyl turntable for this.

but then each to their own, it all depends on your specific needs and preferences :)

matty

Son Montuno
i also use it on a secondary laptop for video playback forgot to mention
you can put on a video of dancers and beatmatch it with the music so they are dancing on beat :lol:

To answer your question with specifics I started VirtualDJ and then could not find 'configure' button. It did no respond to keyboard shortcut I defined, and (that's how) I know it does not have predefined. Does that answer your question? :)
i dont normally keyboard shortcuts but i tried them there and they work
i defined one and it worked also

if you go to config (up on the top right) / mappers, in there you can choose from a list or click "learn" and hit any button , and your predefined key sequence should do whatever you want it to do.

otherwise there must have been a problem with the program installation, i would download again its free on their website.

I'm resurrecting this old thread, since it's now over 6 years later, has anyone's opinions changed?

Myself, I moved from Serato DJ back to Mixvibes Cross DJ specifically for one reason - Serato does not have a dedicated preview/prelisten function. You have to first load a song into a deck or sample player.

I know all the arguments that a DJ should know their library well enough that it's not necessary, but when you have a huge library, and you're gigging on the fly and/or taking requests, the ability to rapidly preview after songs are already loaded in both decks IMHO is important.

With the exception of that one limitation, I consider Serato DJ to be a great piece of software.
My concern with Cross DJ is that Mixvibes has ceased development of it for almost two years, concentrating on phone/tablet apps.

Last edited:

matty

Son Montuno
Im still using Virtual DJ anyways, I have been using it pretty much since I went from vinyl to digital in 2009
for me the main advantage it has over other software are the video features
and for organising music, i find virtual crates very useful (most DJ software has these I think)

also, VDJ8 is now very stable by comparison with 7 as long as you have an up to date computer.

What I find interesting is that in some of these old threads, most DJs were very anti or wary of digital DJing. Whereas now I think 99% or more of salsa DJs use laptops instead of CDs. (I like CDs but I dislike them for DJing.)

matty

Son Montuno
What I find interesting is that in some of these old threads, most DJs were very anti or wary of digital DJing. Whereas now I think 99% or more of salsa DJs use laptops instead of CDs. (I like CDs but I dislike them for DJing.)
i never got into DJing CDs, I tried back in the early 2000's , and even owned quite a few different sets of CD decks but never really liked DJing with CDs.
It just seemed so tacky compared to Vinyl.
I do , however, prefer to own a Salsa album on CD than on Wav or mp3, because they are nice to have on a shelf like books that you can dip into now and again and find some tunes you forgot about.
it also took me a long-long time to learn to trust a computer and to take it seriously for DJing.

i never got into DJing CDs, I tried back in the early 2000's , and even owned quite a few different sets of CD decks but never really liked DJing with CDs.
It just seemed so tacky compared to Vinyl.
I do , however, prefer to own a Salsa album on CD than on Wav or mp3, because they are nice to have on a shelf like books that you can dip into now and again and find some tunes you forgot about.
it also took me a long-long time to learn to trust a computer and to take it seriously for DJing.
I'm exactly the same re. albums - I buy downloads of individual tracks, but if I'm buying an album then it has to be on CD (or occasionally on vinyl).

DJing salsa on CD was ok but I'd never go back to it. Mixing CDs (i.e. when I'm playing other genres of music) is horrible really, whereas I actually enjoy mixing with a controller and laptop.

Not me. When I go to church on Sunday, I give thanks for mp3 downloads from Beatport, Amazon, etc.. :) I got into the Dj'ing game late, and my love for early Salsa came even later - many CD's I'd like to get are unobtanium - either not available, or used with an extremely high price.

However, when available I prefer having the CD, because I can do better rip's than they do.

Last edited:

Dance Ads