Salsa remixes of popular songs

In almost every salsa gig I have done I have had to play tunes for pragmatic reasons rather than due to my personal tastes. In such a category I would regard any bachata. Also I often play more romántica than I would like to hear personally, although I do like to hear some at a salsa night. Where I draw the line, if at all possible, is salsa in English i.e. tunes like the above.

In almost every salsa gig I have done I have had to play tunes for pragmatic reasons rather than due to my personal tastes. In such a category I would regard any bachata. Also I often play more romántica than I would like to hear personally, although I do like to hear some at a salsa night. Where I draw the line, if at all possible, is salsa in English i.e. tunes like the above.
Thanks.

-And sorry for "dragging" you into another comment after you said "let's leave it at that".

Well, what do you consider Salsa? Don't forget how the music evolved, Fania was fusing a ton of elements from other styles of English music that was popular at the time.
I was "raised " in the Mambo era of the 50s teaching and dancing.. will that suffice for you ?..dancing to many of the bands "live" that are now legendary.
I have a pretty decent collection of 40/50s music, enough to satisfy requests, and, I do use them from time to time in my teaching ,illustrating how music has evolved .

The one newer genre I tend to largely ignore , is Timba ( I do have a few albums )and the one I wish more would get invovled in is Son.

My tastes are very eclectic, musically speaking, and I do appreciate the skill and talent of many current day bands,
and that is not to say that, I would teach or DJ using those.

Ok I'll throw out a couple of songs ... son Salsa? Si o no?

We Don't Talk Anymore (cover by MANDINGA)

Shape of You, Ed Sheeran (Remix by Antony Nova)

Thinking Out Loud, Ed Sheeran (by Antony Nova)
! and 3 are passable, IF one likes pop style music but, even if they were sung in Spanish,I would probably still not change my opinions ( neither are really that special ) .

Dance Ads