Salsa open diary

Got diagnosed with Thrombosis for the second time in 3 months. May have been triggered by my flying back home for the holidays. On top of that I've developed sciatic pain in my leg, which hasn't affected my dancing but I am definitely not able to perform at my best and not sure if I'll ever be able to again.

I've been trying to figure out what's been triggering my thrombosis. I often find myself dehydrated from dancing and I need to drink WAY more water than the average person, but I still find myself not hydrating enough. Also, I often dance myself to exhaustion as I have really bad physical conditioning due to not wanting to do any form of strenuous cardio because I do not want to trigger thrombosis again.

As such, I've decided to retire from salsa. I will pursue some slower dance, probably Kizomba, but I think I will mostly take this time to focus on my work and start other hobbies.

Sigh.

Got diagnosed with Thrombosis for the second time in 3 months. May have been triggered by my flying back home for the holidays. On top of that I've developed sciatic pain in my leg, which hasn't affected my dancing but I am definitely not able to perform at my best and not sure if I'll ever be able to again.

I've been trying to figure out what's been triggering my thrombosis. I often find myself dehydrated from dancing and I need to drink WAY more water than the average person, but I still find myself not hydrating enough. Also, I often dance myself to exhaustion as I have really bad physical conditioning due to not wanting to do any form of strenuous cardio because I do not want to trigger thrombosis again.

As such, I've decided to retire from salsa. I will pursue some slower dance, probably Kizomba, but I think I will mostly take this time to focus on my work and start other hobbies.

Sigh.
So sorry to hear that :(, such health issues at young age are unfair...

Could I ask what is your daily water intake if you still find yourself dehydrated? Also, if not cardio what about some strength exercises? They might help with physical conditioning. Or is there risk of thrombosis with them as well?

So sorry to hear that :(, such health issues at young age are unfair...

Could I ask what is your daily water intake if you still find yourself dehydrated? Also, if not cardio what about some strength exercises? They might help with physical conditioning. Or is there risk of thrombosis with them as well?
I drink roughly 2 litres of water per day, half of which is usually consumed in tea form. I do not think it is enough.. I actually think I need between 3-4 litres without dancing. I've thought about strength training, but mostly for my back and core as I need to strengthen those areas to keep my sciatica in check. Thrombosis isn't linked with physical activity as far as I know. It's more of a psychological stress factor which prevents people from doing levels of exercise that they are used to. It is possible that recent events increased my risk factor, so I have no desire to make things worse by over-extending the use of my legs. I am clear to dance and do whatever I want, but it all just seems futile at this point. That's my post thrombosis stress syndrome kicking in...

I drink roughly 2 litres of water per day, half of which is usually consumed in tea form. I do not think it is enough.. I actually think I need between 3-4 litres without dancing. I've thought about strength training, but mostly for my back and core as I need to strengthen those areas to keep my sciatica in check. Thrombosis isn't linked with physical activity as far as I know. It's more of a psychological stress factor which prevents people from doing levels of exercise that they are used to. It is possible that recent events increased my risk factor, so I have no desire to make things worse by over-extending the use of my legs. I am clear to dance and do whatever I want, but it all just seems futile at this point. That's my post thrombosis stress syndrome kicking in...
I don't know anything about Thrombosis. But one liter of water a day (excluding the other liter from the tea) sounds a lot less.

Checked online where recommendation is 8x8=2 literally per day per person. I wasn't aware of that rule till I looked it up. I have always drank a lot more than 2 liters a day. During dancing alone, I usually drink about 2.5 liters. During work which is mostly a chairbound job, I drink on an average one glass (8 ounce?) every half hour. The national academy of medicine today recommends 3.7liters of water a day for average man (not sure how they define 'average'). That 3.7 includes water from all sources food and beverages included. Someone did a good summary on the research:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-water-should-you-drink-per-day

Here are the other top 2 search hits:

https://www.onemedical.com/blog/live-well/daily-water-intake/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...nd-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

Bottom line as with almost everything else is, it depends.

What works for A doesn't work for B. Homan body is complex. As I said I have no idea about Thrombosis and how it links to hydration.

As far as hydration is concerned, you can try to increase water intake when dancing. Rather than give up salsa, you can dance less. Both less frequently and less when you go out. No need to dance every song.

But if you insist on giving up salsa and trying something else, Vienna has a decent Tango scene :)

Sigh.
Sorry to hear this... hope things get better

During dancing alone, I usually drink about 2.5 liters.
I don't know anyone who drinks that much water when dancing. I almost never see people drink ANY water. Or maybe 1 glass max... and sometimes alohol, which would make the situation worse.

I feel like I'm the only one drinking water....refilling water.... doing all that I can to make sure I am stocked with water at all times.

Anyway, I will need to cut down on dancing. Being an addict, I always end up dancing more than I should or too many songs in a row. I dont know how I can control myself when I am riding a good vibe. Dancing is like a drug for me. So quitting cold turkey might be the best thing for me at this moment.

Tango is too hard and you actually end up sweating a lot more in Tango than I would expect. I am thinking Kizomba with some slow sensual Bachata.

He had arg. tango in mind I suppose. I think there are no salseros that would try int. style BR tango, even although a lot of euro salsa social dancing is actually way more aggressive than int. tango danced socially :p

Last edited:

azana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was out dancing in Santiago de Chile (why are the salsa nights when I’m travelling almost always the night before I have an early morning flight/bus? Need to be at the airport in a few hours!) and the leads were all doing the same moves! You just had to dance with one lead and you knew what was coming from all of them. They had probably all taken lessons at that club itself; definitely the same teacher. Wish he/she would teach them how to avoid bumping into each other on the floor...

Did have two wonderful dances; one lead with exquisite timing and so aware and conscientious of the follow, e.g. adjusting a move or grip mid-step if he sensed my balance wasn’t quite there; the other had gorgeous musicality and marvellous shines. They made the night; overall not as good as other places I’ve danced in South America such as La Paz or Paramaribo, in terms of level, friendliness and so forth. However, surprisingly there was no cover. Salsa night out - the best way to end my holiday :)

Sigh.
Inactivity/sedentary lifestyle is also, however, a major risk factor of thrombosis though; so while 'dancing till exhaustion' may indeed exacerbate thrombosis risk, less-intense, regular physical activity should lower the risk (indeed, regular exercise is listed as a beneficial activity for lowering thrombosis risk) -- so why not take a 'mellow dancing' approach, instead of retiring from salsa completely: dance like the old Harlem guys, suavecito :) (And maybe take frequent breaks after every dance or two to ensure you're not over-exerting yourself.)

Additionally, eat foods rich in vit. K (like leafy greens -- vit. K helps blood flow and keeps the blood 'thin') and magnesium (nuts--see link between Mg deficiency and thrombosis risk in the link below), or take vit. K and Mg supplements; most people are deficient in these two key nutrients and you never know if you are one of the ones in whom these deficiencies are significantly increasing your thrombosis risk.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/463945-magnesium-and-blood-clots/

A more detailed article on the interlinked causes of thrombosis/blood clot risk and how lifestyle/nutrition/ supplements can reduce risk:

http://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols/Heart-Circulatory/Blood-Clot/Page-01

Last edited:
Inactivity/sedentary lifestyle is also, however, a major risk factor of thrombosis though; so while 'dancing till exhaustion' may indeed exacerbate thrombosis risk, less-intense, regular physical activity should lower the risk (indeed, regular exercise is listed as a beneficial activity for lowering thrombosis risk) -- so why not take a 'mellow dancing' approach, instead of retiring from salsa completely: dance like the old Harlem guys, suavecito :) (And maybe take frequent breaks after every dance or two to ensure you're not over-exerting yourself.)
Noted! I did try to modify my dancing yesterday, which a friend of mine jokingly called "airplane mode", or less frantic dancing characterized by less spinning and stepping with a heavier focus on partner connection.
At the end of the evening, I still felt like I had a workout, but I didn't exhaust myself. Still, it's hard to just sit and watch for long periods of time.

Additionally, eat foods rich in vit. K (like leafy greens -- vit. K helps blood flow and keeps the blood 'thin') and magnesium (nuts--see link between Mg deficiency and thrombosis risk in the link below), or take vit. K and Mg supplements; most people are deficient in these two key nutrients and you never know if you are one of the ones in whom these deficiencies are significantly increasing your thrombosis risk.
I have to stop you there. Vitamin K actually increases the likelihood of blood clotting. Thus it is inadvisable to consume an overabundance of leafy greens.

I am researching some home remedies that I can concoct myself. I know that ginger has blood thinning properties. Although I'm already on blood thinners, so thinning my blood out too much isn't good either.

I did try to modify my dancing yesterday, which a friend of mine jokingly called "airplane mode", or less frantic dancing characterized by less spinning and stepping with a heavier focus on partner connection
A while ago in a similar situation, trying to insist on light connection and avoiding dragging the girl along the floor (that is used to that kind of leading), I got a comment that I was "etheric" :p

Yeah ... the problem is ... nobody to dance with and nowhere to dance it in this part of the world .... and for salseros - it's still ballroom
The Blackpool festival ( BR championships ) in May this year , are for the 1st time adding an American style Pro/Am. to its program . This is for advanced levels only .
With all the many countries competing at Pro level, it may spark some interest in the Amer. style Tango.

I did a demo and lecture at one of my Soc. congresses for teachers back 2005, in American style Smooth. From what I have gathered, there were studios that started to include this .Pity they did not accept the latin side .

Dance Ads