Salsa open diary

On Saturday I went to my first non-school-affiliated salsa social, alone. It went....okay. Mostly because of stuff in my head....I'm a fairly shy person who has never had a lot of confidence in anything, so approaching random women for a dance is kind of nerve-wracking. Plus, the typical beginner leader concern of "oh no, I'm going to bore her!" Going to a school social would've helped with the shyness, but I wanted to start working to get over that. Plus, it's a better indication of how good/bad my leading is, since the followers I dance with outside the school don't necessarily know the same preprogrammed strings of patterns that I'm likely to default to, so the autopilot effect is diminished.

My poor, well-meaning friends. They like to encourage me by pointing out that I'm Hispanic (I'm a Dominican/Puerto Rican/Colombian mutt) and grew up listening to salsa, and have always loved it and listened to it frequently even after moving out. While that's true, and maybe it helps with some things--I do "get into" the music a lot and am pretty good at predicting when breaks and transitions will occur in salsa songs I've never heard before--being Latino does not give me any advantage in things like leading, connection, transitioning between techniques, body awareness, balance or the like....i.e., the things I struggle with! Unfortunately, all their well-intentioned encouragement does is cause me to think that everyone expects me to be awesome already because of my heritage. Which is funny, because I've read the threads here on that issue and I know that isn't the case in the trained dance community. But the mind is a funny thing.

Once I got out of my head and actually asked people, it went okay. I had fun, at least! I need to work on the clarity of my lead, which isn't surprising, but there were no full-on disasters or BSOD moments on my part and I did get an appreciative laugh for goofing off during some shines. Interestingly, I felt like I generally had better connection during salsa than when I danced bachata, even though I generally consider myself markedly "better" at bachata. I dunno if I was dancing with better followers in the salsa room, if I was just getting lazy in bachata, or what.

I think a big part of getting in my head was that I spent too long watching people and "getting the lay of the land" when I first showed up, which led to me getting intimidated. This weekend I think I'm just going to saunter in there and ask the first girl I see to dance the first song that plays, and just go for it.

This question isn't worth a thread, so here it goes. A girl friend of mine wonders, who started the trend for women to wear plaid flannel shirts on their waist, and why? I don't see it too often but know the trend exists.
I think it's about leggings. They expose your not so great booty, and even great booty is not always meant to be shared. Also it has dress like qualities.
Also pro tip - it can be used as a shirt!

But what is 'plaid fannel shirts on the waist'? Any pictures?

I think 90% of the guys at the festival wore leg hugging tight jeans or similar. When did such tight fitting pants became so popular!

Dear diary:
Something strange is going on. I do not go to kizomba and bachata room; I just do not want.
Tonight I had a lot of fun. My feet are sore.:D I decided to experiment a little bit. Usually, I avoid eye contact because of shyness tonight I looked into leader's eyes and smile. Oh...It is kind of interesting. Leaders like that:D. Tomorrow my friends want to invite me to sensual bachata party...now I am thinking how to escape this torture.:eek:

Dear diary:
Something strange is going on. I do not go to kizomba and bachata room; I just do not want.
Tonight I had a lot of fun. My feet are sore.:D I decided to experiment a little bit. Usually, I avoid eye contact because of shyness tonight I looked into leader's eyes and smile. Oh...It is kind of interesting. Leaders like that:D. Tomorrow my friends want to invite me to sensual bachata party...now I am thinking how to escape this torture.:eek:
When a follow doesn't look at me during a dance I die a little inside. You don't have to stare but eye contact and a smile every 10-15 seconds.

May be they cannot stay on 2 :D, However, there are times during a song that it seems better to switch .
No, it is my issue. Yesterday I danced with a leader who dances both. I asked him to dance with me On2...He did..and after he said: I know you are good dancer on1, let's dance next song on1..and we did, and he had much more fun.:oops:

Dear diary:
Yesterday I danced with a new salsero. I have not seen him before. Oh, my...he was just Mister Elegance. He has an elegant lead, and he is a real gentleman. I wish we could have more leaders like him. He has so light lead, and every combination was so easy to follow; he did not spin me all the time, he was smooth and musical. It was so enjoyable to dance. I think it was a real salsa...real mature, elegant salsa. We danced two salsas and bachata. He is here to visit his friends; he is not from Canada. I will definitely miss dancing with him. I was impressed; I wish he could visit his friends more often.:)

Dance Ads