Salsa leaders - your golden rules

I can learn about concepts from others, but I need to grasp them myself through dance. But then I can apply them elsewhere, I don't need to stumble no more. There are many things I knew, but did not get, until came to necessary stage of dancing. Does not mean they're not useful.

vit

Son Montuno
Well, any good info is useful to some extent of course, especially if one has no access to some good teachers or it is out of the budget, but it's quite limited

On this video, you look considerably better, while she looks considerably worse. I suggest teaching her walking like cuban salsa follower should walk first. First thing to deal with should be those bouncy rock steps she is using constantly. Inconsistent timing next. Ever played in a band with "musicians" with inconsistent timing? Not fun at all. The same thing here

As about teaching videos overall, I have large collection of both ballroom and salsa videos, probably 300+ hours in total. Most of that was recorded by top dancers and teachers on the world level. But believe me, most of that is pretty much useless for learning. It can help to some extent when you already know the stuff. Or as a kind of notebook if you are a teacher. But ...one simply needs personal contact with a dance teacher to actually learn something
hey yes a dancer in real life is of course still the best. But my goal is to teach new things to people, that is real freestyle. I teach already face to face but this way you only reach a small amount of people. So therefore I want to offer my knowledge on the internet. This month, I will start with my first video on it. That is what i call the core of freestyle. A small but powerful pattern which you will use to become very creative. So I hope I can help some people with it. just check on http://funda.dance if you like. Maybe you find it interesting or maybe not :)

Hey guys, I dance salsa freestyle and I am developping a method to teach it others ( using youtube videos). The reason I want to teach others is because it is so much fun to create your own moves while dancing. I am less interested to finish my moves beautifully, I am more interested in being creative on the floor ( you can see that in the video :) ). I already posted a few videos on this channels and used the freedback to improve my videos. Thanks for that guys ! This is my newest video. It would be nice to tell me what you like an do not like. It is a different approach then my previuos videos. Thanks a lot !

I checked first minute of your video. I have a question. What are you trying to accomplish that other similar videos that demonstrate similar patterns don't?

P.S. - wrong thread.
hey offbeat, thanks for the reply. well the goal is that you learn to freestyle. First you start with 2 fixed patters and then you learn to combine different parts of them. From 2:44 it gets more clear. Can you show me an example of a video that does the same? I am interested in it then. Thanks !

Last edited:
hey offbeat, thanks for the reply. well the goal is that you learn to freestyle. First you start with 2 fixed patters and then you learn to combine different parts of them. From 2:44 it gets more clear. Can you show me an example of a video that does the same? I am interested in it then. Thanks !
Please don't PM the same stuff!

You are still focused on patterns. If you want people to improvise and create their own patterns then this is probably not the best way to do that.

Please don't PM the same stuff!

You are still focused on patterns. If you want people to improvise and create their own patterns then this is probably not the best way to do that.
OK thanks for the opinion. I think it is not such a bad method. First you learn something fixed ( which gives you trust) and then you learn to make a variation on each part. step by step. What do you think is a better way of doing it? At the end of this video, you can improvise more then 100 combinations ( they look alike, but they are each time different). The next videos become much stronger, this is the first one. After 3 videos, your possibilities become very big already. But if you know a better way, please tell me. I am curious. thanks !

Hey guys, some students asked me to explain some stuff on leading. I wrapped it up in a video. I hope you like it and I hope you can use it.Feel free to leave a comment !!

Jag75

Son Montuno
The guy is showing combinations you can use. So what if it's not "pure freestyle" - you cannot freestyle if you don't know combinations.

His guapea seems fine to me.

Personally I'm not qualified to judge as to whether or not his dancing is good and/or authentic, and I'm not disputing his right to share his knowledge or to try to add something new to Cuban dance. My point is that for someone to describe themselves, particularly on an international site such as Youtube, as a 'cuban salsa leading expert' is a pretty bold claim. I see he has now removed that description from the video (I assume as a result of my post) - the video is now 'cuban salsa leading insights' and he describes himself as a 'SALSA LEADING EXPERT'. How that is different to being a 'cuban salsa leading expert' I don't know.

Personally I'm not qualified to judge as to whether or not his dancing is good and/or authentic, and I'm not disputing his right to share his knowledge or to try to add something new to Cuban dance. My point is that for someone to describe themselves, particularly on an international site such as Youtube, as a 'cuban salsa leading expert' is a pretty bold claim. I see he has now removed that description from the video (I assume as a result of my post) - the video is now 'cuban salsa leading insights' and he describes himself as a 'SALSA LEADING EXPERT'. How that is different to being a 'cuban salsa leading expert' I don't know.
Hey well I am not claiming that I am an expert. Far from that. It just meaned that one can improve his expertise on salsa by looking at this video. Apparently this was misinterpreted by you (and maybe others), so yes I changed as I do not want to position myself as an expert or so to anyone. I do not want to dispute about these things, I just want to share some (little) knowledge. On the question of guapea, I never answered the question as it is out of context. In none of my videos, I tell someone how one should dance guapea. There are many variants and all of these are good. That is freedom in the style of salsa. I am offering a method how to dance with more freedom, but I never say that I am performing it with 'style'. But I am sure that someone with a lot of style who uses my method could really become a top dancer ( that is not my goal). My style is far from perfect as I dance only once a month on a party (due to knee injury), and my goal is not to dance perfect. And that is not the goal of most people on the dancefloor, they just want to have fun. My goal is to dance with freedom and I like to investigate the mechanisms in salsa and how you can create your own moves. I spend some time on that, and I somethimes prefer it to real dancing :). What I see on this site that there is really a lot of critical people in a domain that should be pure fun, I think it is a pitty :-( But I like the feedback of people here, so I can improve my way of teaching. That is the reason I post it here.

Last edited:
Hey well I am not claiming that I am an expert. Far from that.
Your video was originally entitled 'cuban salsa leading expert'. Now it's entitled 'SALSA LEADING EXPERT'. If that's not referring to you then who is it referring to? You're the only lead in the video.

What I see on this site that there is really a lot of critical people in a domain that should be pure fun. That I do not like, I think it is a pitty :-(
Oh please. You come on here with all sorts of outlandish claims about your innovations and expertise, ask for feedback and then when you get pulled up about your nonsense you sulk.

Your video was originally entitled 'cuban salsa leading expert'. Now it's entitled 'SALSA LEADING EXPERT'. If that's not referring to you then who is it referring to? You're the only lead in the video.

Oh please. You come on here with all sorts of outlandish claims about your innovations and expertise, ask for feedback and then when you get pulled up about your nonsense you sulk.
Check your PM

Dance Ads