Random Thoughts

Unfortunately you been left stranded on the station! :D. As you are aware and discussed in that other thread, the term mambo has become synonmous with NY style or more specifically ET2. The term has been co-opted much the same way 'gay' no longer is used to denote 'happiness'.
Not really. Gay is a word that was and remains commonly used throughout the English-speaking world. Both in its previous meaning and in its present meaning. Mambo in the 50s was a phenomenon known throughout the USA and to a lesser extent throughout the world. Mambo in its present meaning - i.e. dancing contemporary on 2 salsa to salsa dura music - is a concept unknown outside the closed world of the salsa scene.

So if I understand what you're saying it's all in the music. So If I would dance ET on2 to say this song: Am I dancing mambo or salsa?

Here are two Palladium era dancers dancing to "salsa" Are they dancing salsa or mambo?
What about using the terminology "modern mambo" or "Congresso era mambo" to differentiate it from the palladium era, common thread is that they're both danced On2 and they are still many elements that are common to both?
It's not so much the timing as the moves and styling that differentiate old school mambo (dancing) from new school salsa (dancing). On saying that, the latter has definitely descended from the former, and some dancers have more mambo (as in old school mambo) flavour than others.

So if I understand what you're saying it's all in the music.
[
Here are two Palladium era dancers dancing to "salsa" Are they dancing salsa or mambo?
What about using the terminology "modern mambo" or "Congresso era mambo" to differentiate it from the palladium era, common thread is that they're both danced On2 and they are still many elements that are common to both?
It's always the music. music defines what and how we should dance, with of course our own "style "..

Salsa was not in his wheel house and I have commented on this vid before .He is essentially doing a performance,, nuf said

Modern mambo is a closer term to the old , IF one incorporates foundation steps...

Not really. Gay is a word that was and remains commonly used throughout the English-speaking world. Both in its previous meaning and in its present meaning.
That doesn't actually mean what I want to say. Let me try again.

Gay is a word that was commonly used throughout the English-speaking world in its previous meaning, and is now commonly used in its present meaning.

azana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trying to figure out salsa forums member titles:

SabrosuraEl Sabroso de Conguero
SalsaGipsyCapitán Del Estilo
timberamayorMaestro 'El Diferente' Canales
El CaoboMaestro 'Salsa' Palmieri
MarishaSon Montuno
OffbeatMaestro 'Sonero' Lavoe
TurqoiseHexagonSonero
MAMBO_CECSabor Ambassador
super_tugaTumbao
terenceMaestro 'Descarga' Cachao

WinstonDescarga
DeeplyDippyPattern Police
We need some women's names in there. Timberamayor shouldn't be a "maestro". Do we have any maestra suggestions? :)

It's always the music. music defines what and how we should dance, with of course our own "style "..

Salsa was not in his wheel house and I have commented on this vid before .He is essentially doing a performance,, nuf said

Modern mambo is a closer term to the old , IF one incorporates foundation steps...
Just so you know....this is Frankie's teaching schedule:
upload_2017-10-4_22-7-27.png

azana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Currently teaching Mark Antony in my Ancient History class and using the opportunity to make horrendously bad jokes and correlations :p (which the students are totally used to from me :)) I've explained, using a certain clip, how immensely popular the Roman triumvir was in New York.

I suspect the students are convinced this is one Roman I have a bit of a crush on... :D

Dance Ads