Moves to use with absolute beginner girl (line style)

Could you please list suggestions of the moves that I could use with an absolute beginner girl?

The girl knows say spot turns and XBL. What would be the moves she could easily follow? What I mean is the moves where I'm doing all the work and she is comfortable given her very limited assortment of moves.

Jag75

Son Montuno
Inline turn, outside turn, right spot turn, walk-through, she-turns you-turn underarm, she-turns you-turn overarm, natural top.

^ agreed.

You can also add styling/turns to your own moves if you are getting bored. For example on the cross body lead, do a turn to the right as you lead her across. There are several ways to do this with your left hand going over your head, by your neck, using a hook turn.

A fun one for is a hammerlock. Then pulling her into (double turn) you for a "basket". Pause/style (girl normally flicks her left foot) on 123, then pull her out on 567. This is a good one for after all the stuff that Jag75 mentioned.

Hi Desidiosus Maximus (btw - cool name)

Not to discourage you, but if you are dancing with a beginner who can follow spot turns and XBL you should be able to lead most anything. Its not really about about what the lady knows as much as about how you are communicating your leads.

Focus on making your leads deliberate and minimize any unnecessary movements. In general I start building my lead count 3 or 7. In other words I'm creating more tension in the connection (generally hands) early so the lady has time to react. This is true whether the woman is a beginner or more experienced.

Other than that I would suggest keeping things simple and just focus on leading simple moves like right turns, left turns, new york walks (some times called walk through), and cbl. You can always add fakes, hair brushes, and hand changes to mix things up. As your confidence with your dance partner improves you can add traveling turns.

Hi Desidiosus Maximus (btw - cool name)

Not to discourage you, but if you are dancing with a beginner who can follow spot turns and XBL you should be able to lead most anything. Its not really about about what the lady knows as much as about how you are communicating your leads.
The bolded is just patently false, but I suspect you mean something else given your later suggestion of keeping things simple. Can you clarify?

Adios usually are OK. Hammerlocks are OK, if follow allows hand to be put in hammerlock position (not always). Double handed single turns work (on spot and with CBL). Simple wraps, if you are willing to compensate and move more quickly. And most stuff in closed position ...

My goal for beginners is to try and get them to make a habit of stepping on time. For this, I use simple rotation to my right in closed position, which means to her left. So we're just stepping each count, forces her onto my timing, and when I clearly mark a CBL she will step back when I want her to.

There are countless CBL variations you can do. One of my favorite is to right turn right over left, so then your hands are left over right. Put your left hand over your head, lead a crossbody, then complete a left turn (1.5) yourself. You can do that same thing with either single hand or both hands together.

Not all beginners are created equal. If you feel that she is stepping mostly on time and transferring weight pretty well, you can also lead a right turn right over left hammerlock, and then pull a reverse/wrap whatever you want to call it as she steps forward. If on1, this would be on the 2, if on2, this would be on the 7. As long as you lead it from the hip she will have no choice but to do it. then you end up in a sweetheart position and just let her continue for a walkthrough. Since you are left over right at that moment you can continue into the CBL I was talking about.

There are many other moves. My favorite thing is trying to get beginners to do the most complex stuff comfortably. It's a fun game. As soon as she messes up, though, I lower the revolutions a little, do stuff I know she can do to get her feeling comfortable, and then continue pushing if possible.

You haven't really gotten a ton of actionable stuff here, and videos would really help, it's just time-consuming to find specific moves, adding time-stamps, etc. Try stuff out yourself.

Dance Ads