Misconceptions I had

Thinking about the ideas I had starting out, which I discovered much later to be wrong. Maybe others can add theirs.

1. It's all about the moves.

I was totally focused on learning new moves and using them as much as possible. If a woman didn't seem to like dancing with me, I assumed it was because I needed to do even more moves.:wacky:

2. Technical improvement will make all women enjoy dancing with me.

I was sure that if a woman didn't like dancing with me, or turned me down, it was because I wasn't good enough yet. Now I know that 'chemistry' plays a huge role in who we enjoy dancing with. Hell, there are some women whom I avoid and I don't even know why. Others, I'm drawn too despite not being particularly good dancers; but I find them fun.

Thinking about the ideas I had starting out, which I discovered much later to be wrong. Maybe others can add theirs.

I was sure that if a woman didn't like dancing with me, or turned me down, it was because I wasn't good enough yet. Now I know that 'chemistry' plays a huge role in who we enjoy dancing with. Hell, there are some women whom I avoid and I don't even know why. Others, I'm drawn too despite not being particularly good dancers; but I find them fun.
This is one that it took me a while to figure out, like you I was under the illusion that if you're a reasonable good dancer, you be able to get dances at the drop of a hat, but it doesn't work that way, chemistry does play a huge part, for avoiding some women and not knowing why, trust me all of the women I avoid I definitely know why!!!

The following were ideas that I had when I started doing Salsa that turned out to be wrong:

1. Moves Moves Moves.
2 Technical improvement is not such a big deal.
3 Everyone is there just for a good laugh and to have fun.
4 People who dance salsa really have a love for the music.
5 The life of a lead is rather easy once they become competent.
6 Everyone in New York is an awesome dancer: There are no bad dancers there (naive I know).
7. Being a member of a dance team will make you an awesome social dancer.
8. People who promote salsa are doing it for altruistic reasons like love of the genre and to improve the community. I'll stop now.

- Them moves tho
- Spin her a lot
- I'll never get good at this
- I will have "made it" when I get to be on a team
- Eventually I will feel comfortable in dance shoes
- Fast songs are the best
- I'm happy to dance to any song
- T-stance is cool
- On2 dancers are snobs
- I'll never burn out
- Some dancers know every song (turns out they're just musical)
- Social growth from salsa dancing will spill over into regular life

1. Your dance partner smiles. She is enjoying the dance.

No, she is not looking to hook up. She really is just enjoying the dance (period).

2. Your dance partner (who is married to a non-dancer) smiles. She is enjoying the dance.

See above.

azzey

Son Montuno
- All female instructors are good followers.
- Someone who looks great will feel great.
- Being the best dancer in the room will mean not having to ask at all.
- Once I learn this stuff I won't have to learn it again, or work to keep it engrained.
- Latinas/Latinos look the best.
- Latinas/Latinos all dance similarly.
- All Latinas know how to dance.
- This is the last time I have to work on my basic!
- Supermoves/lifts/tricks will be very useful when social dancing.

Another I had before ever going out socially, was that a salsa club would either:
1. Be filled with gang members ala West Side Story, where dancing with the wrong woman could result in being threatened with a switchblade.
2. Inhabited by lots of too-cool 20-something yuppies.

(Actually, #2 isn't all that far off.:wacky:)

Dance Ads