Learning pachanga

I don't know much about pachanga, but I think this guy does a good job of explaining the basics in this video, right? so for people who don't have access to a pachanga teacher, this recent youtube clip might be interesting:

I really like his break down but he's just plain wrong when he calls out the timing of those steps. He says "and.." every time he means the down beats (2, 4, 6, 8). "And" is what you have between the down and up beats.

Jag75

Son Montuno
I really like his break down but he's just plain wrong when he calls out the timing of those steps. He says "and.." every time he means the down beats (2, 4, 6, 8). "And" is what you have between the down and up beats.
That's actually a matter of semantics. Yes when counting syncopations you count 1 & 2 or 1 & a 2 or 1 e & a 2 etc however when teaching something like Pachanga there's nothing wrong with counting 1 & 3 & 5 & 7. In fact in some ways it's easier to teach beginner Pachanga dancers this way because count 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 etc can actually be more confusing to them - especially if you want to emphasise the 1, 3, 5, 7.

It's common for many Pachanga instructors to count 1 & 3 & 5 & 7, and I'm including Eddie Torres crew here.

Whoa nice - thanks kbitten! I would gladly pay for the pachanga DVD (and others) if I could get it in a digital format, but DVDs? In 2016? Come on...

Guess I no longer have any excuse to not learn the pachanga basics :D

Whoa nice - thanks kbitten! I would gladly pay for the pachanga DVD (and others) if I could get it in a digital format, but DVDs? In 2016? Come on...

Guess I no longer have any excuse to not learn the pachanga basics :D
I am really against posting a whole class or dvd from any teacher in YT but since the teacher itself didnt complain so why not..

MacMoto

Administrator
Staff member
[Mod comment]
I have temporarily removed the post containing the video clip as we cannot ascertain whether the copyright holder has consented to the uploading of the content.

hahaha that guy makes me laugh! Last time i checked his facebook he had all kinds of racist things on it. I think he's just secretly jealous of other cuban dancers. I always find him talking smack on Alberto Valdez and other great cuban dancers. Its one thing to put an argument on what authentic traditional cuban dance is and its another thing to say everybody who doesn't dance the way you dance is bad.

Dance Ads