How to avoid or reduce getting sweat at dancing

Why? To soak up the sweat before it makes your shirt look scruffy? The problem is that the extra layer makes you sweat more. And if it's a wifebeater then it won't even catch the sweat under your pits.

Useful in cold weather though.
the use of the t-shirt is to grab the sweat and not sending it to the outer layer.

many uniforms include the t-shirt for that reason.

the T-shirt to use under we call it "franela". it's usually white.

But does anyone have an advice for us Girls? When I go out most of the time I dont wear a t-shirt, I prefer tops, I even have lots of tops with a deep back.....saturday I felt so bad with my wet back that I refused any Dance after the second Dance which left me sweating like crazy....and then we have the Problem with hair and make-up......:confused::confused::confused::confused:

But does anyone have an advice for us Girls? When I go out most of the time I dont wear a t-shirt, I prefer tops, I even have lots of tops with a deep back.....saturday I felt so bad with my wet back that I refused any Dance after the second Dance which left me sweating like crazy....and then we have the Problem with hair and make-up......:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Sweaty back is tough b/c so much of a connection is with closed embrace. Do you sweat from your hair? There are some girls that sweat drenches their hair. Makes spinning an interesting challenge. :)

Sweaty back is tough b/c so much of a connection is with closed embrace. Do you sweat from your hair? There are some girls that sweat drenches their hair. Makes spinning an interesting challenge. :)
I know i read that several times :confused: No ist more the Skin....i wore my hair in an updo already...maybe i should not use bodylotion after showering because this also Comes off when u sweat a bit :confused:

As I guy I don't care about whether parts of the back that I don't touch are sweaty.

I wish that girls who sweat a lot wear tops that cover the back at the shoulders where the normal lead happens. When picking a top, it's worth noting that not only the looks matter but also how it feels to touch it as some surfaces aren't good for leading.

Otherwise the more free skin you show the better you can dissipate the heat.

Bare sweaty backs of the followers make leader’s life difficult. Imagine if you had to dance with a leader with sweaty palms. If follower is wearing a top that is not exposing bare back where a lead’s arm has to land (shoulder blade), that is okay no matter how much follower is sweating. Optionally like guys do, a follower can pack an extra top or two to change. However in my experience followers don’t sweat excessively on the back and if there is some sweat or the top gets really wet (less than 1% in my experience), it is still a lot better than bare back with small amount of sweat. Bare backs can get slippery, difficult to hold and discomfort for leader who has to be more careful about touching the bare skin.

Some top material can be very slippery or not easy to put arm on, and therefore not suitable for dancing.

Bare sweaty backs of the followers make leader’s life difficult. Imagine if you had to dance with a leader with sweaty palms. If follower is wearing a top that is not exposing bare back where a lead’s arm has to land (shoulder blade), that is okay no matter how much follower is sweating. Optionally like guys do, a follower can pack an extra top or two to change. However in my experience followers don’t sweat excessively on the back and if there is some sweat or the top gets really wet (less than 1% in my experience), it is still a lot better than bare back with small amount of sweat. Bare backs can get slippery, difficult to hold and discomfort for leader who has to be more careful about touching the bare skin.

Some top material can be very slippery or not easy to put arm on, and therefore not suitable for dancing.
I'm conscious about that, the Problem is that tops have to shoulder straps (some are wider, some are smaller) and the part around the should always offers naked Skin. I would feel uncomfortable wearing a (tight) t-shirt which covers more of the Body and doesnt let the Skin breath.

I'm conscious about that, the Problem is that tops have to shoulder straps (some are wider, some are smaller) and the part around the should always offers naked Skin. I would feel uncomfortable wearing a (tight) t-shirt which covers more of the Body and doesnt let the Skin breath.
I am no expert on top or ladies wear :) Almost never had any
problem with straps, unless they are so lose that hand would slip through them. I would imagine the presence of straps suggest they are there to hold up something (the cloth that will cover the back).

By bare backs we are mostly referring to those nearly backless dresses.

Seriously, we guys wear complete tops all the time. And we naturally sweat much more.

There are many well proven materials, even basic T-Shirts are much better than a lot of the stuff many women wear for dancing.

Seriously, we guys wear complete tops all the time. And we naturally sweat much more.

There are many well proven materials, even basic T-Shirts are much better than a lot of the stuff many women wear for dancing.
I know u are completly right. Dont kill me now, I know ist all about the Dance but some women (not all of course) and unfortunately myself are going for Looks as well. Not saying a nice T-Shirt doesnt look good but sometimes when u bought a nice top, u also wanna wear it :cool:

But at some point it is time to realize, that if you only go for looks and forget about the impression of touch (or smell, or twisted fingers etc), you become less interesting for those, who are actually in it for dancing.

So you are selecting for the guys, who only go by the looks ...

You don’t seem to know much about women? :p. They care about what other women think of their dress :)

On a slightly serious note, good to see people try to dress well when out dancing. When I took a salsera friend of mine out dancing to WCS, she was shocked how casual all the followers were dressed and kept on remarking about it. To give a little context, Bay Area is probably on of the most casual/dress down place on the earth and for another Bay Area person to think WCS scene followers were too casual...:D

The ladies in Europe dress a lot better for dancing nights than on this side of Atlantic. I remember a Salsero from LA who narrated, how back then the followers in LA would turn you down if you didn’t look the part (that is not dressed properly).

Without feedback it is not easy to realize if the clothes you are wearing are good for dancing. They have to be functional not only for yourself but also for the partner. E.g those wicking type sports T-shirts some guys think are good for salsa, aren’t so - they may wick the wetness to the outside, but then the partner has to deal with that wetness.

But at some point it is time to realize, that if you only go for looks and forget about the impression of touch (or smell, or twisted fingers etc), you become less interesting for those, who are actually in it for dancing.

Without starting a feministic debate here, but women (most of them) don't Dress for guys, they Dress for themselves!
Of course if we talk about dancing, you Dance with a Partner and u go out to a salsa Party to Dance with someone...in this way we could say women select their clothing for men (means for their potential Dance Partner).
But in General before u go out a lot of women Dresses according to their mood, how they feel and often it is not always pure functional.

I know i read that several times :confused: No ist more the Skin....i wore my hair in an updo already...maybe i should not use bodylotion after showering because this also Comes off when u sweat a bit :confused:
This might be an issue. I like to be clean for my dance partners, so I always shower before going out dancing. However, I suffer from eczema and would apply a paraffin based cream all over my body after the shower.

I recently learned that emollients like this actually cause a layer to form on the skin, which is basically like an extra layer of clothing. The result was that I would sweat to an almost comical extent.

I recently tried using raw organic shea butter, and it doesn't block the pores in the same way and lets the skin breathe. I now sweat pretty much like a normal person when dancing.

I also use a homemade moisturiser based on shea butter, bees wax, and essential oils, but this still makes me sweat more than just the raw shea butter.

Definitely worth thinking about!

I know u are completly right. Dont kill me now, I know ist all about the Dance but some women (not all of course) and unfortunately myself are going for Looks as well. Not saying a nice T-Shirt doesnt look good but sometimes when u bought a nice top, u also wanna wear it :cool:
I sympathize! I sweat like a sweaty man on a sweaty day. It's just how I'm built. There are some very sexy/attractive dresses and tops out there that do not bare your back. You just have to adjust to look for them :)

Dance Ads