dancing etiquette

one of the things ( of many ) that I miss about the states, is the variety of coffee in Supermarkets ( NOT instant ) . In really good ones, one may grind beans and blend if one chooses.
I'm a coffee addict !...:)

Finiding any similarity with variety of moves taught in dance schools :p ?
Which genre ?..

and my perspective in respect of studios ended in 2005 after returning to the UK. Prior to that, in salsa it was primarily a modified LA style with little emphasis on the 2. Even then, the teachers style was quite often evident in their students .

vit

Son Montuno
There are various espresso blends, some are darker, some not that dark, plenty to choose from ... depends on your personal preferences ... I mean I'm fine about drinking 3rd wave roaster coffee ranged 90+ from time to time with citrus and other fruits taste, but for me, nothing beats some strong dark chocolate/tobacco taste of some espresso blend even if it's 1/3 the price and has quite a percentage of robusta ...

I find very intereating. how people overseas over expand a single aspect of something make so complicated that the other aspects are almost unimportant.

For instance, you grab coffee and make into so many varieties of drinks, machines, looks, etc. Seriously, why people find important making shapes in the coffee? lol

I see the same with Chocolate. I went to a place that sells chocolate products and I was surprised how many products available, no need say I had no idea a chocolate place was a thing or that making these chocolates candies was a trade. I even asked the guy about some white chocolate candies: "how do you make these white chocolare pieces?" . While I think I had eaten these when I was a kid but I had no clue how they made them.

Same with tobacco and other drugs, these are things the indians had totally different uses from religious, medicinal, etc.

No need to say the salsa. How the dancing part has evolved into so many things.

very interesting

I find very intereating. how people overseas over expand a single aspect of something make so complicated that the other aspects are almost unimportant.

For instance, you grab coffee and make into so many varieties of drinks, machines, looks, etc. Seriously, why people find important making shapes in the coffee? lol

I see the same with Chocolate. I went to a place that sells chocolate products and I was surprised how many products available, no need say I had no idea a chocolate place was a thing or that making these chocolates candies was a trade. I even asked the guy about some white chocolate candies: "how do you make these white chocolare pieces?" . While I think I had eaten these when I was a kid but I had no clue how they made them.

Same with tobacco and other drugs, these are things the indians had totally different uses from religious, medicinal, etc.

No need to say the salsa. How the dancing part has evolved into so many things.

very interesting
If you think coffee and chocolate are 'over complicated', wait till you go to a traditional sushi restaurant and learn about all the sushi details :)

vit

Son Montuno

Like in dancing, some things a functional, some are styling

Steaming milk is functional - it changes the milk, making it more sweet and changes it's consistency, so combination of it and coffee is producing better taste than poring just hot milk into it
Making latte art is pure styling - it just looks better and doesn't taste any better. Actually I like the taste without late art more

As about machines ... most important is fresh ingredient. So with device you posted (or cooking it any other way) you can make excellent coffee if it is fresh. Espresso machines were made to extract acceptable taste from not that good and not that fresh coffee, using the pressure. In that case, you need quite precise temperature and enough pressure, quality grinder, certain amount of water, preparation time etc ... otherwise you will get just a bitter or sour close to undrinkable drink offered in most cafes, vending machines etc that most people recognize as coffee. Making quality machine costs, so if you want to sell it, you better make it looking good

Last edited:
If you think coffee and chocolate are 'over complicated', wait till you go to a traditional sushi restaurant and learn about all the sushi details :)
What's complicated about traditional sushi? You take a chunk of rice and put something on top of it. Voilà. I loved my old skul sushi chef, because of simplicity. He was all about finding a good fish and not spoiling it. Also he wanted for me to gain some weight, so portions were large. ❤️ Maybe him going to fish market and looking for tasty things was complicated. But not cooking and eating.

Oh, you are sooo wrong :eek:. Cooking sushi is very complicated and takes decades to master. I highly recommend watching the documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Here you got a trailer:
Great marketing. In Latvia there is a company making most expensive axes, you back order from them when they let you and then wait months or years. How they do it? They make good looking stories about tools they sell. Short films. Is axe the greatest tool? Yes. Is it something complicated? No. Not in the age of software.

Great marketing. In Latvia there is a company making most expensive axes, you back order from them when they let you and then wait months or years. How they do it? They make good looking stories about tools they sell. Short films. Is axe the greatest tool? Yes. Is it something complicated? No. Not in the age of software.
Of course it's a lot of marketing, after all it's supposed to be a story about (one of) the best sushi, so it can not look easy. Nevertheless just as with software where you can make software, you can make good software and you can make a piece-of-art software, with cooking you can make food (almost anyone can cook something), you can make good food, and you can make ambrosia/nectar-level of food. Question is where is the point where it stops being objectively better quality and when it starts being a fashion/wealth statement.

EDIT: but sure, as a software engineer I'll say that nothing gets as complicated as software, so cooking some sushi (or axe making) is a piece of cake :cool:.

And what's funny is that all these places I mentioned earlier that are completely incapable of doing a decent espresso - most have a list of complicated coffees that they can do very well, and that is what the vast majority of their orders consist of.

Approach the couple. Smile at both, in no particular order, but probably first at the guy and then at the woman. Say Hi to both. Ask the guy to dance, and then immediately look at the woman and smile (but I don't say anything to her). Guy usually says yes and the woman smiles back at me. I like this approach because I am directing my asking towards the actual person I want to dance with, not his partner (because indeed he is free to do whatever he wants), but I am also acknowledging his partner by smiling at her, because it would be rude to pretend she is not there when she is sitting right there next to him.

So, I don't see any reason men could not follow this approach as well (which would mean skipping the patriarchal 'Is it ok if I dance with her?' question to the woman's partner).
That is what most of the men do in the west, when asking the woman in a couple. It is simply politeness. There is hardly any explicit "can I dance with her" kind of permission seeking.

Dance Ads