Are sabor and economic development culturally incompatible?

Also forgot to add ( about Switzerland ),,This classic comment from Orson Welles.. " In 500 years, the only good things to come out of Switzerland, are Chocolate and the Cuckoo clock "..
... and private tax free banking...

Many other countries including the US and the UK have followed Switzerland's lead and are offering offshore accounts to foreigners.

Also forgot to add ( about Switzerland ),,This classic comment from Orson Welles.. " In 500 years, the only good things to come out of Switzerland, are Chocolate and the Cuckoo clock "..
Swiss chocolate is severely overrated -- as a huge chocolate lover, I visited approximately 30 of the top Swiss chocolatiers in Zurich and Geneva when I was there a year ago for the Zurich congress. Time and again I was disappointed by the chocolate I tried from almost all of them. The only kind of chocolate that was better than average was the supermarket milk chocolate which, when compared to the average chocolate available in supermarkets around the world, was a little better. But when it comes to higher-grade and artisanal chocolate (i.e., "real" chocolate -- sorry, Hershey's fans :p ), Swiss chocolate was woefully inferior to French, Italian, Belgian, and even some American and UK chocolatiers (the British Green & Black's chocolate is quite delicious). It seems to me that the term "Swiss chocolate" has mostly benefited from clever marketing rather than any real superiority in quality.

Last edited:
Swiss chocolate is severely overrated -- as a huge chocolate lover, I visited approximately 30 of the top Swiss chocolatiers in Zurich and Geneva when I was there a year ago for the Zurich congress. Time and again I was disappointed by the chocolate I tried from almost all of them. The only kind of chocolate that was better than average was the supermarket milk chocolate which, when compared to the average chocolate available in supermarkets around the world, was a little better. But when it comes to higher-grade and artisanal chocolate (i.e., "real" chocolate -- sorry, Hershey's fans :p ), Swiss chocolate was woefully inferior to French, Italian, Belgian, and even some American and UK chocolatiers (the British Green & Black's chocolate is quite delicious). It seems to me that the term "Swiss chocolate" has mostly benefited from clever marketing rather than any real superiority in quality.
Hmm.. I find that last year chocolate from Tanzania was noticeably better than the rest. Maybe I've been lucky.

I think Swiss people might be offended at the notion they had anything to do with the cuckoo clock. I believe it is a Bavarian thing. They really go for that kind of kitsch to sell to tourists. Otoh, I do own a really kitschy belt from Switzerland that has a shepherd and his flock motiv on it.

Attachments

Hmm.. I find that last year chocolate from Tanzania was noticeably better than the rest. Maybe I've been lucky.
Very little chocolate is made in the same place where the cocoa is produced, most cocoa is exported to European and other countries to be processed into chocolate. There are very few "bean-to-bar" chocolate makers.

So Italian chocolate, for instance, is called "Italian: only because it was manufactured in Italy, not because the cocoa used to make it comes from Italy. So when you say "chocolate from Tanzania", I have no idea if you mean chocolate you bought in Tanzania (or that was made in Tanzania and imported to where you bought it), or Swiss/other chocolate made from cocoa from Tanzania.

Very little chocolate is made in the same place where the cocoa is produced, most cocoa is exported to European and other countries to be processed into chocolate. There are very few "bean-to-bar" chocolate makers.

So Italian chocolate, for instance, is called "Italian: only because it was manufactured in Italy, not because the cocoa used to make it comes from Italy. So when you say "chocolate from Tanzania", I have no idea if you mean chocolate you bought in Tanzania (or that was made in Tanzania and imported to where you bought it), or Swiss/other chocolate made from cocoa from Tanzania.
I've had one that's made in Tanzania and is available here in stores and just some that friend brought over from there. Somehow noticed they're tasty. But then again, I eat mostly dark chocolate, others have other tastes.

And you traveled the Americas. Lots of cocoa are from there and they make bars as well.

I've had one that's made in Tanzania and is available here in stores and just some that friend brought over from there. Somehow noticed they're tasty. But then again, I eat mostly dark chocolate, others have other tastes.

And you traveled the Americas. Lots of cocoa are from there and they make bars as well.
Gotcha.
Oh yeah I know where to get good chocolate! :D And definitely some great cocoa/chocolate comes from Central and South America.
I was just commenting on how Swiss chocolate was not at all as good as I had expected.

azana

Super Moderator
Staff member

Did you try the natural (i.e. unprocessed) homemade chocolate from cottage makers in Dominica using cocoa trees on their own properties? Magical - especially the glass of homemade hot chocolate after a morning of canyoning :)

Did you try the natural (i.e. unprocessed) homemade chocolate from cottage makers in Dominica using cocoa trees on their own properties? Magical - especially the glass of homemade hot chocolate after a morning of canyoning :)
I know this was addressed to Smej who I envy if he has been to Dominica, I haven't made it there yet, but is this chocolate similar to the chocolate (and hot chocolate) made in Baracoa, if you tried that when you were in Cuba? I really enjoyed both the bars, which had grittier texture than regular chocolate but were every tasty, and the hot chocolate :) (The factory made chocolate in Cuba, however, was pretty bad)

I've been to Dominica and it's on my list to go. 2 days of flights and thousands of dollares away. I'm not sure that's the place to go for food, but I'll try chocolate next time)

matty

Son Montuno
I am talking about life sabor in general -- perhaps the better term is "sabrosura" :) The thing you can feel when you are talking to someone and looking into their eyes and can feel the "aliveness" and a certain joy and passion for living.
i think its the weather that does it

azana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, overall, the food in Dominica was very ordinary! The chocolate was not fashioned into bars, just broken into pieces, put in bags, and sold where it was made. However, yes, it had the gritty texture and wasn't too sweet; I'm sure you'd both enjoy it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of dropping into Dominica or Cuba frequently due to distance (for me it's regular trips to East Timor and Japan instead :)) but would love to return.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of dropping into Dominica or Cuba frequently due to distance (for me it's regular trips to East Timor and Japan instead :)) but would love to return.
Papua New Guinea has amazingly fantastic coffee beans. The whole region, including most of Indonesia, is great for that. As I am not a chocolate eater (my GI system does not agree with chocolate), coffee is my thing.

Papua New Guinea has amazingly fantastic coffee beans. The whole region, including most of Indonesia, is great for that. As I am not a chocolate eater (my GI system does not agree with chocolate), coffee is my thing.
My fave blend is Cuban and Guatamalan .( Damn.. it's expensive here ! )

I also like beans from Chiappas Mexico, certain regions of Colombia but I am not sure which ones, Jamaica Blue Mountain but it is not readily available.

I also like beans from Chiappas Mexico, certain regions of Colombia but I am not sure which ones, Jamaica Blue Mountain but it is not readily available.
I'm not a coffee drinker (I'm a supertaster, coffee is too bitter for me) but I have seen the Jamaica Blue Mountain at boutique coffee shops in NY, it was the most expensive coffee option.

azana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't drink coffee, but I bought a lot of Blue Mountain packets for my friends; also took home many packets of beans from Rwanda which were very popular with them. It's a handy present for guys :).

I can heartily recommend dropping into a Laderach chocolate shop in Switzerland. Very nice chocolate. Hazelnut and milk chocolate and the cranberry and dark chocolate slabs were great.

Dance Ads