7 Core Salsa Moves (on2) What Are They?

My salsa teacher explained all of salsa can be broken down into 7 fundamental moves. Everything else are variations of the fundamentals. I'm trying to track down what the fundamental moves are, so leads can stop memorizing patterns. Can you help me by listing them here? I'm going to post my answers and findings on a free website with resources.

Thanks

It’s not 7, but here’s what I would consider fundamentals: basic, CBL, CBL inside/outside turn, left/right turn for leads/follows, copa.

Off the top of my head everything boils down to combinations of moves above. I guess you can add body movement and shines as well.

My teacher teaches the key steps (on 1 or 2. It's the same moves).
Cbl
Travelling inside turn
Natural Top
Outside (underarm, spot, etc) turn
Travelling outside turn
Reverse Turn
Wrap or check step
Copa
Coca Cola

Jag75

Son Montuno
Baila Society in NY also teaches based on 7 foundational moves, and claim they cover all the patterns you ever need. I can see this to quite possibly be true.

Off the top of my head, these are:

Pivot turns right and left
Cross body lead (variations)
Left Inline Turn (variations)
Right Inline Turn (variations)
Copa (variations)
Check turn (variations)
Natural Top (variations)

Spins etc would fall under check turns and use the same basic technique.

I may be off, but based on my experience these should cover it.

My teacher teaches the key steps (on 1 or 2. It's the same moves).
Cbl
Travelling inside turn
Natural Top
Outside (underarm, spot, etc) turn
Travelling outside turn
Reverse Turn
Wrap or check step
Copa
Coca Cola
Thanks for helping a noob @1derpalm . Going to post these results online to help the salsa community. Thanks for contributing.

vit

Son Montuno
Number of basic moves is varying from teacher to teacher
Not any different in WCS - some claim that there are only 5, some that there are 14, the rest any number in between (or even above)

Thanks for helping a noob @1derpalm . Going to post these results online to help the salsa community. Thanks for contributing.
NO. I'm a partial noon myself. I like helping people achieve goals faster and easier than I did/do. My scene is small and the learning and applying curve is large. I drive 1 5 hours to the next city for my classes. So a beginner with a few months learning and social dance practicing in that town is equivalent to about a year in my town. Boom

Maybe a better way to define how many basic turn patterns there are is to go by how many basic footwork patterns there are for follows as a starting point. That should reduce much of the ambiguity and then look at any variations that might need to be added from a leads mperspective.

Hi all and thanks for your help. Received a few private messages and that was really helpful-much thanks to those users. So, its about 9 core/vanilla moves. The variations comes from WHERE the leader initiations the lead. For instance, there are 11 (Maybe More) ways to give a follow a single right turn. Going to publish these findings online.

Hi all and thanks for your help. Received a few private messages and that was really helpful-much thanks to those users. So, its about 9 core/vanilla moves. The variations comes from WHERE the leader initiations the lead. For instance, there are 11 (Maybe More) ways to give a follow a single right turn. Going to publish these findings online.
Great! Please share page once published.

Pivot turns right and left
Cross body lead (variations) (including 360/over-rotated and under-the-bridge)
Left Inline Turn (variations) (including 360/over-rotated)
Right Inline Turn (variations)
Copa (variations)
Check turn (variations)
Natural Top (variations) aka Back Spot Turn
A couple comments inline

+ Basket (although I guess it's really just a basic...)
+ Sliding windows (depending on how its led)

Dance Ads