where to dance in LA? (29 dec to 1 jan)

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by globedancer, Dec 28, 2009.

1. globedancer

globedancer Changui

Hello,

I'll be on vacation with my sister in LA around new years. My sister doesn't dance but she would like to join me at a salsa club one evening. Can anyone recommend a salsa club in LA that would work for us both? Basically, I am looking for a place where my sister can enjoy the music and a cocktail when she gets tired of the beginner steps but where I can dance to my hearts content :).

Looking forward to your suggestions!

PS I dance on1....

2. Mambo T

Mambo T Rhythm Deputy

Tonight go to Stevens Steakhouse in the city of Commerce

3. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

What do you recommend on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday?

4. GForce85

GForce85 Rhythm Deputy

Saturday: Granada (Alhambra)
    Sunday: Hacienda Hotel (El Segundo)
    Monday: Zanzibar I guess (Santa Monica). I don't generally go out on Monday

globedancer, if you'll be around on the 1st, Sportsman's Lodge in Studio City should be good.

Both of you can check out vidasalsera.com for a rundown of any live music events coming up and also what clubs are open on what nights.

5. SalsaVino

SalsaVino Son

I agree with Saturday (best night), Sunday, and Monday but I'm not so sure about the Sportmen's on Fri.

6. globedancer

globedancer Changui

Thank you GForce85 for your suggestions! I am planning to go out tonight (the 1st). I looked at vidasalsera.com and there are so many options! Couldn't find Sportmen's on the list though... SalsaVino, why are you not sure about Sportmen's?

What do you guys think about Cuban Bistro, Steve's Steakhouse or El Floridita for tonight? GForce85, why is the Sportsman's Lodge best for tonight? I couldn't find any info about it on their website. What are the hours and fees?

Thanx!

7. GForce85

GForce85 Rhythm Deputy

Yep, tons of options; welcome to L.A. :D

Sportsman's is on vidasalsera right now at the top of the list of live band events on the main page. I recommended it because it's a really nice place with 2 floors and generally strong dancers show up. Plus tonight there will be 2 really good bands there. And I will be there lol. Anyway, the cover is $20 at this point. I wasn't thinking, I could have gotten you on a guest list for a $15 cover. Sorry about that. I'm not sure when the lesson starts, but open dancing starts at 9:30 and goes to 1:30 if I'm not mistaken.

SalsaVino can probably give you a better answer to your question about the other places. I've never been to Cuban Bistro, the one time I went to Steven's on a Friday I didn't like it, and El Floridita is a small place and the main night there is actually Monday.

8. globedancer

globedancer Changui

Wow, sounds cool! We'll join. Can we get tickets at the door then? And do you know how it works with parking? Great recommendation. Thanks!

9. GForce85

GForce85 Rhythm Deputy

Yes, you pay at the door. There's valet parking if you enter the Coldwater Canyon entrance (I think the fee is something like $5) or if you don't mind a little walking you can park at a meter on Ventura Blvd (you won't have to feed it at night). Still walk into the Coldwater Canyon entrance though so as to not get lost on the other side of the building.

10. SnowDancer

Funny to hear that Sportsmen's Lodge is a salsa place. It's one of the oldest restaurants in the Valley, and I went there several times as a kid for weddings and other events.

11. SalsaVino

SalsaVino Son

Sorry, I'm just replying. I hope you had a great time.

Sportmen's is Ok. Two bands is a good deal. I was just thinking that your sister being a beginner might get bored with the setting.

As far as the other places you mentioned, they are not my top choices for dancing.

My favorites:
    Granada: Fri and Sat ( good dancers, salsa bands, fun place, nice floor)
    Mama Juana's: Thu and Sat ( salsa bands, fun place, nice floor)
    Zanzibar: Mon ( good music selection, fun place for a monday)
    Conga Room : Sat (a good place to take non-salsa friends or your enemies. They have salsa bands but in between sets and after mignight Dj spins hip-hop, techno, etc. Make sure to get on guest list to save some money.)

12. SnowDancer

I enjoyed Mama Juana's the two times I went. Great bands: Johny Polanco and Son Mayor.
    My one time at Zanzibar was okay; had a nice club lesson by C. Ovieda.
    Someone else recommended the Granada to me recently. I'll be in LA for a weekend in Feb, so maybe I'll give that a try.

13. GForce85

GForce85 Rhythm Deputy

Yeah you definitely should, it's without question one of the best places in L.A. Let me know when you'll be going to I can go that night as well :)

14. SnowDancer

Couldn't get out Saturday or Sunday, but I'm planning on going to Zanzibar tonight.

15. SnowDancer

I've got to put in a good word for Zanzibar. This was probably my most enjoyable night dancing salsa in L.A. It started out with lessons by Christian Ovieda, and there were mainly beginners during the early part of the evening. But it was a friendly crowd, and I had a lot of fun dancing with mostly new dancers.

The intermediate lesson was a lot of fun. My partner thought it was funny when she saw me practicing the followers' steps (why not, rather than just stand there?), and started trying to lead me. :eek: She then stuck around to dance with me after the class.

As usual, the stronger crowd showed up around 11pm. I got a few turn-downs (LA ladies don't give lame excuses, they just say 'no'), but I got 3-4 dances with really excellent followers, a pleasant surprise since I didn't know anybody. The music was all salsa except for one cha-cha and one bachata. One nice touch is that several very slow salsa songs were played and I was lucky to be dancing with women who were into the music and didn't rush.

16. SalsaVino

SalsaVino Son

If you survived the Zanzibar, you might also want to try the Dakota Lounge in Santa Monica on Thursday.