What kills salsa

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Burritos, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Burritos

Burritos Changui

Hey guys, I want to write article about things that kill salsa & social dancing and your advices would be very helpful. Please tell me what kind of things in your opinion are killing salsa & spirit of social dancing? Right now I have only this:

- incompetent teachers who teach stuff they don`t know (all for the sake of money)
    - new fashion trends like kizomba
    - people who try to solve their personal problems (lack of sexual relationship etc) with social dancing

What else?

2. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

A simple answer; people lose interest.. result.. classes are not viable..

TwoLeftFeet likes this.
  3. Burritos

Burritos Changui

terence, Im not talking only about classes. I mean what kills salsa in general

4. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Negative experiences in general such as poorly run events, negativity between salsa dancers. And to be honest a big reason people leave the dance scene in my experience is known as "getting a life". No offense to those of us who stick with the scene, but people meet a partner, get married, have kids, have demanding jobs and just have less free time or have to prioritize differently. that's a big reason for people leaving the scene over time, even if they still wish they could go out.

5. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

IF one does not get new blood into the genre ( i.e. classes ) then that's the thin edge of the wedge.. also.. DJs who are ill equipped, musically speaking.. there are many contributing factors.. those 2 are prime culprits.

The major difference for sustaining socials is " Location "... latino clubs , do substantially better.. its all to do with heritage.

smiling28 likes this.
  6. TwoLeftFeet

TwoLeftFeet Shine Officer

at one end, poor teachers and promoters creating a shallow experience, so people plateau and get bored quickly

in the middle same venues, same faces, same music = stale.

at the other end, the endless search to be better means people become isolated at the top with few peers and become unable to enjoy dancing with people at a lower level. particularly as people with the push to the top mentality often don't enjoy having to compensate for others lack of inspiration to improve. Or people burn out trying to push more people to aspire and reach their level.

Smejmoon likes this.
  7. Salsa Student

Salsa Student Pattern Police

A constant imbalance in the lead/follow ratio.

SnowDancer likes this.
  8. Salsa Student

Salsa Student Pattern Police

In those scenes that have it.

9. Kromat83

Kromat83 Sonero

Bachata is becoming popular, and takes less time to improve.
    No patience that they'll improve in Salsa.
    Not enough males getting into this scene with the younger generation, who prefer the Night club to pick up chicks mainly.

zorba, csamva and smiling28 like this.
  10. Resides

Resides Sonero

Salsa and most other dancing is thriving here in Western Canada. Especially Salsa and Bachata. Last evening we had over 80 in a beginner's Rueda.

The exception may be Ballroom dancing but I have no contact with it. Tango benefits from those who dabble in it after doing Salsa.

The issue may be more as to what kills it for an individual. It's not money as those who dance here tend to be better educated and well off. Bachata? Here people do both so they don't choose Bachsta over Salsa. I'd guess the ease of Bachata gets more into Salsa. Time? I find hat an odd reason in our society...maybe not time for lots of lessons but we have time to zip down now and then and dance at a club. Perhaps it is just not everyone's first choice in fun. I live among the world's best downhill ski mountains, but...meh...prefer cross country skiing.

11. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Fashion. For a lot of people salsa was in so they did it, and now it's passé so they don't.

smiling28 and calichris10 like this.
  12. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

The same thing that revived salsa/caused it to cross over to a new market is the same thing that has killed it: going from a music-based scene to a dance class-based scene.

13. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Shine Officer

In my old scene, definitely performance teams kills salsa. I feel much better in my new scene without any performance teams, despite the fact that people are at a much lower level.

14. Resides

Resides Sonero

Agreed. Most people here dance at socials and clubs. Fortunately they want to dance and not sit around watching scripted performances.

Chris_Yannick likes this.
  15. HiJackSalsa

HiJackSalsa Son Montuno

Offbeat likes this.
  16. owldancer

owldancer Son Montuno

I think salsa is disadvantaged from the start compared to many other dances. Salsa music, at least the stuff that we want to dance to, takes getting used to. I'm helping one of my friends who wants to start salsa learn the music, and it's not often taught in beginner classes what exactly people are dancing to. It's also a little bit of an experiment, because I'm deliberately picking songs that have both an easily identifiable 1/5 and also a fairly strong 2/6. I'm curious if it will help her be more flexible when she wants to learn on2.

Standard fare in at least 3 beginner classes is to step 123 567, music comes on and instructor leads the class into basic steps. It would not hurt, IMHO, to spend some time at least finding and grooving to some (good) music. Compared to bachata and kizomba, the perceptible learning curve is steep. Most people can find the bachata pulse, it's right in your face.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Offbeat likes this.
  17. Resides

Resides Sonero

It has a disadvantage but what is more popular in your area? I agree that it is hard to hear but most dancers manage to get by fine. This is where I find Rueda a big help...synchronized with the caller concerned about the beat. I find I can learn the rhythm by 'doing' rather then listening...then it comes naturally.

In my region the popularity of actually dancing would be:

Free style rock (by 10 times)
    Sala/bachata ( increasing)
    Country ( Line Dancing, Two Step, etc). Decreasing
    Swing (East, West, Lindy, Ceroc) Increasing

Others...waltz, foxtrot are almost insignificant. Rarely danced outside of a few classes or among some seniors in the legions. A few Tango classes here and there with a small event once in a while.

I never hear anyone mention Kizomba here, or, if it exists, not popular at the socials and clubs.

18. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

Lack of people who are addicted to salsa.

(Note that there are 2 kinds of addiction: crack addicts crash, burn and self destruct. That type of addiction does not sustain salsa. Nicotine addicts survive many years w/o major health impacts - this type of salsa addiction sustains a salsa scene)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Smejmoon likes this.
  19. Resides

Resides Sonero

This evening we have a MU group going to Duelling Pianos. So far, 43 signed up. I'll make a request for a Salsa song. I'm curious how many of our group will get up and try and dance. If it was a Twist, or familiar rock song, maybe 35 of 43 would dance. Salsa? I know a lot will dance but no idea if they will do Salsa. A few going are in our Salsa MU but the rest?

20. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

I think one big thing that can have a negative effect on the Salsa scene is instructors and high level dancers performing a lot but rarely social dancing. Salsa is foremost a social dance, and so many people really seem to forget this. They put so much energy into performing and very little into social dancing. The enthusiasm for social dancing can be contagious, and a scene where plenty of instructors and advanced dancers are going out to social dance will inspire others to do the same, and the scene will thrive.

I have no issues with bachata and kizomba and zouk because I believe a person who dances more styles in the end becomes a better overall dancer.

Slowdance, GForce85, Offbeat and 3 others like this.