wearing in new shoes?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by smiling28, Sep 25, 2008.

1. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Hi,

My instructor told me that I have to wear in my shoes a certain way.

Any ideas?

(My old shoes I stretched as my feet would roll out (flat feet) so I imagine that it would be something about stepping properly etc)

2. Roo

Roo Son Montuno

I don't know, but I'd love to second the request for feedback. Can I just tell you how my new shoes are covered with blood b/c my last ones died suddenly before I could break the new ones in slowly? Literally.

Usually the way I break them in by dancing for a lil' bit each night in the new ones and then changing back to the old ones & slowly building up. But what to do when that's not an option? I manually just moved & stretched them a bit, but only on the second day I danced, so I'm not sure if it had an effect or not cuz I was already bloody (scabbed) by then.

3. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

you can buy special spring-loaded inserts that will stretch the shoes for you...but I've always gone the bloody painful route...I consider it part of the leather curing process :)

4. noobster

noobster Shine Officer

Wow. I have never bled from breaking in shoes. A little blister here and there but no more. I go straight into wearing a new pair full-time, and usually I just put a band-aid over the rubby spot and the problem goes away after a week or two.

Maybe you need a different shoe brand?

5. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

Eek you nutty lot - if the shoes fit well imho there should be none of this. I simply put on a new pair and dance all night.

If the shoes really fit and are a style that suits your foot shape they should be so snug that there really should not be blisters either. Blisters generally happen because your foot is moving about in the shoe.

6. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

nah, I need new feet...mine are too irregular for any brand

7. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

lol - same :)

8. A couple of tips you may find useful...

Wear a pair of socks (thin ones) under your shoes for a little while to protect your skin or, if you can find V.thin socks wear two pairs, as long distance runners do, to prevent blistering.

Wear them for short periods at a time to begin with as all shoes will soften to some extent and become more comfortable.

Getting a well fit shoe to begin with is a must, it should be snug ideally but not so tight you go numb. Go for comfort over looks too, as beautiful as some shoes are you will end up opting for the pair most comfortable to you eventually anyway while the 'beautiful' pair sits on the sidelines :(

Lastly part of the wearing in of a shoe for me is that the sole is slower to begin with and personally I like my shoes FAST! I wax the bottom of my shoes for the first wear with a natural cake wax you would use for the shoe upper ordinarily and then polish it off in a circular motion....it's like wearing a pair of shoes six months old!

BLATENT PLUG ALERT: www.oobashoo.com (we lurve shoes)

9. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

I can see how women's shoes would require a break-in period, since the straps will be in different places. But men's shoes cover the whole foot, so I wouldn't expect as much of a problem.

10. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

It was because I was rolling out in my feet thus stretching my shoes in the wrong place which reinforced the bad habit.

So breaking the shoes in for me means small increments of wearing them (and just doing basic step slowly the right way) so the shoes mould to good technique/foot positioning :)

11. theamoebaman

theamoebaman Son Montuno

It depends on the shoes as well. Jazz shoes don't really need any wearing in as they're already really soft and pliable. The only thing is that the rubber sole may be a bit sticky when you first wear them but it that gets fixed pretty quickly if your wear you jazz shoes regularly.

Ballroom shoes do need a bit of wearing in depending on the make of the shoe. "Cheap" ones are usually made of a hard leather similar to normal dress shoes. These will need to be danced in for a few weeks to soften and stretch the leather (or whatever materiel is used to make it. Top end "ballroom" shoes are usually made with a high quality leather that usually does not need to be worn in. Even then it's always best to wear them and dance in them a few times to get used to them.

And wearing them in doesn't just mean putting them on and doing a few basics. I used to wear in my shoes by wearing them out socially or to class. It'll hurt a bit initially but after a few days they're properly stretched and really comfy.

These are more form a guy's perspective as I'm not that familiar with how women's shoes are worn it. Though my old Ballroom dance partner used to chew on her shoes to soften the leather especially behind the heel. It was hilarious when I walked in on her with a shoe in her mouth. Not so hilarious when she threw it at me :)

12. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

I just never do anything, wear the new pair of shoes and start dancing.

13. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Good tips and LOL. Nothing I can say really. Just imagining what you described. LOL!!! :) :) :)