Videos of my summer in Cuba

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timbero-fi, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Hi all!

I spent two months of this summer in Cuba for my masters' thesis in musicology. I was there doing field research, dancing, taking classes, going to concerts, getting to know people and in general, just having a good time. :) As I'm an amateur (but working) photographer, I had my camera with me as I wanted to capture the marvel that is the Cuban dance/music culture! Video is a new medium for me, but I practiced it somewhat this spring so that I could actually get something done in Cuba.

As I was working for my thesis, I didn't want to carry a back-bag of "hey I'm a tourist"-equipment for the whole time, but still I managed to get some nice footage! I will be updating this playlist with more videos of music and dance as I get trough the material but here are some of the best stuff that I have, enjoy!

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhu4-eE5w5yiYFziHVWUfO0Losl9_WUkq
    My Youtube user: https://www.youtube.com/user/MatiasLoyt

Best regards
    Matias Löyttyniemi

TSC, Sabrosura, MAMBO_CEC and 2 others like this.
  2. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'Sonero' Lavoe

Nice! thanks for sharing.

timbero-fi likes this.
  3. I just added a new video from a concert of Osain del Monte! For those who don't know them, Osain del Monte is a young, energetic and innovative rumba group that has just released their first album. I went to their concerts four times during my 2-month trip to Cuba, and the atmosphere was always through the roof! Especially in the second half of the set the dance floor was packed with people dancing the night away!

The music of Osain del Monte is filled with interesting and amazing material, from their use of snare to timba-like bloques (for example 8:10-8:22) and gears-styled changes (for example from 14:30 on), not to mention the thrilling conversations between the tumbadoras, played by world-class musicians! I decided to upload this 15-minute-long video as a whole, because it contains some very interesting stuff for those interested in cuban rumba music!

Abraham R. and terence like this.
  4. Here is a video from the rehearsals of a songo group, Suave Tumbao!

Abraham R. and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  5. Justin James

Justin James Changui

Nice thanks for sharing but i i don't have any videos.

6. I just uploaded three new videos from my new trip this winter!

Solos from two phenomenal musicians: Alexander Abreu (trumpet) and Rodney Barreto (Drums)

The rhythm section of El Niño y la Verdad in their new hit song El Profesor, that I guess no one outside of Cuba has heard yet!

timberamayor likes this.
  7. timberamayor

Thanks! So is Deivys the new timbales/drum player replacin Keisel? Also do you know who replaced Sinsonte as corista? And is the campanero also playing bongo? I assume so since that is the way it's usually done.

8. Deivys has played timbales for El Niño since late spring. Campanero does switch bongós to campana with this group, and the positions are quite fixed. As opposed to for example HDP, who change the positions from time to time. I didn't see Elito on my trips (I was too tired the one time I could've gone to their concert) so I don't know about their current situation!

9. Oh I think I got your question wrong! Were you asking about HDP, as in, "So is Rodney (not Deivys) the new timbales/drum player replacin Keisel?" Rodney used to play with HDP and was just invited on stage during that concert! At least that was my understanding. I assume Sinsonte is one of the coristas in HDP? In that case they are all there, the same two guys that have been for ages, plus the third one that also plays the keyboards.

10. timberamayor

No you were right the first time. the question was about La Verdad. I'm not actually sure anyone has replaced him. I need to see a full frontal video of La verdad. Roberto Morales, who used to be with Revé is one of the coristas and I don't know if they replaced Sinsonte when he went to Miami or not. I think the guitarrista also sings coro. Keisel used to play with both HdP and La Verdad so that is why it wasn't clear which band I meant ;) Sorry.

timbero-fi likes this.
  11. Some new videos! :)

Timbales solo from the timbalero of El Niño y la Verdad

The percussionists of El Niño y la Verdad having a great time playing Llévame papá!

Some more traditional rumba from Osain del monte (at least for the first part haha)

Enjoy and share if you like!

Abraham R. likes this.
  12. arsenio123

arsenio123 Son Montuno

It is slow enough to think of yambu but the way he tries to land a vacunao and trick her gives the dance a guaguanco presentation.