Understanding Codigo (Fania)...

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by Abayarde, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Abayarde

Abayarde Capitán Del Estilo

is quite difficult to follow the promoting/advertising strategies from Codigo (the actual owners of Fania and other classic labels), their priorities and how they prefer to show themselves in front of their potential customers. with an impressive classic recordings catalog (that is already digitally remastered) only a fraction of them are available to buy and download in Fania.com. their priorities to promote and sell this albums out of the United States (so they can reach the Caribbean, Latin America and the rest of the World) is clearly out of their scope. since they took charge in 2009, they had limited their interests to the Anglo-Hispanic market in the US, with an enhanced emphasis on remixes and clubs. IMHO, the essence of the classic Afro-Caribbean music which built most of Fania's legacy from its beginning has been abandoned.

youtube.com/watch?v=uQqKSklLfU4

---

se me hace bien dificil seguir la línea de mercadeo de Codigo (actual propietario de la Fania y otros sellos clásicos), sus prioridades y como prefieren proyectarse frente al público consumidor. con un impresionante catálogo de grabaciones clásicas, que bien podría estar disponible en formato electrónico, lo cierto es que la cantidad de grabaciones disponibles en Fania.com es muy limitada y su interés para sacar provecho económico fuera de los EEUU, tanto en el Caribe como en Latinoamérica es poco o ninguno. desde que tomaron la batuta en el 2009 se han limitado al mercado anglo-hispano de EEUU, con un énfasis marcado en las remezclas y en los clubs. en mi opinión, la esencia de la música afroantillana clásica que caracteriza a la Fania desde sus inicios ha sido abandonada.

youtube.com/watch?v=uQqKSklLfU4

2. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

That trailer is pretty wack when we consider the content of most of what they have to offer. They appear to be confused, or perhaps they are convinced that the salsa market has been bled dry, and their only chance of making any money is to market themselves as something completely different.

Abayarde likes this.
  3. Abayarde

Exactly, DJ Yuca. That's my impression of the video and the reason why I started this thread.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    DJ Yuca likes this.
  4. Abayarde

I can dig their proposals as an ALTERNATIVE way to promote a specific taste or preference, and maybe a nice way to build a solid subsidiary.

but, if this is the only thing you have in mind and the reason to focus all your efforts, you are doing it badly wrong.

5. Richie Blondet

Richie Blondet Shine Officer

What irks me the most is that they have taken to marketing a non-existent scene. What we see in the video is film footage of two distinct cultural scenes being presented as if it was all taking place simultaneously featuring the same music, same audiences, etc. That this is a hip "Latino" underground scene that's currently taking place. And DJ remixers are the new messengers of the Fania songbook.

The companies went to DJs who offer nothing in terms of anything new or rare, beyond their God-awful mixes. I'm not suggesting Fania recorded music can't be mixed. But the crew they hired to oversee those projects missed the mark. I'd rather see what a HipHop DJ might be able to do than these "club/house" DJs offer. An underground and commercially played out scene ("House") trying to "sell" what is now non-commercial 'Salsa' equals = ZERO return. Codigo should have gone after collectors who have "live" reel to reel recordings of these same artists at their disposal and create a platform around the audio. These DJs are bringing nothing to the table save for a discombobulated sound. They're trying to mix House music beats with the "Salsa" content. Why not try to create a whole new section within the music itself? Using "live" percussion, bass & piano, perhaps a single brass player, to create a whole new "part" of an established recording? And mix in a sax line or electric guitar from a funk, Jazz or R&B album. Only to then reach a point where the song continues as it was originally intended?

Or take a HipHop anthem featuring Afro-Cuban percussion beneath it, and add or loop the coro or vocals from a Salsa/Fania recording over it?

Anything would be better than those monotonous beats they always use which get boring really quick (a la early Reggaethon).

I hate to say this, but Tito Puente Jr's rendition of OYE COMO VA, featuring LA INDIA puts the FANIA DJ Remixing investment to shame. It's not my cup of tea. But at least they changed the song around with a new coro. Whatever the case may be, none of this "new" music is geared toward the cocolo.

Abayarde likes this.
  6. lidiap

lidiap Descarga

7. DJ Yuca

“an innovative and digitally driven global music, entertainment and lifestyle company”

Such phrases always make me lose the will to live.

Abayarde likes this.
  8. DJ Yuca

Fania’s founding coincided with the explosion of salsa, a style of music with Caribbean roots (borrowing from Dominican merengue and Puerto Rican bomba, among others)

That statement should go down well with the Cubans.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    matty, Abayarde and Richie Blondet like this.
  9. DJ Yuca

“We used to see our market as New York, Miami, Orlando and Puerto Rico,” Rucker said. “But now we see [it as] around the world. We’re creating playlists for Stockholm, and Héctor Lavoe playlists for Columbia.”

Even ignoring the spelling mistake, that statement suggests a vast lack of knowledge.

Richie Blondet likes this.
  10. Richie Blondet

Richie Blondet Shine Officer

Yeah, these folks don't have the slightest clue of how far the scope of their catalog reaches around the globe. As if Colombia had never heard of Hector LaVoe before. (Unless they really are targeting Columbia University... lol)

DJ Yuca likes this.
  11. Abayarde

LOL

12. Abayarde

I wonder who are their contacts in Puerto Rico (if any exists). the market and availability of legal Codigo CD's in stores is nonexistent years ago. only a few slow selling compilations and vinyls from 2010-2011 can be found. pirates are having a ball selling copies of original Fania/Emusica/Codigo releases. Codigo is loosing BIG money here.

promo campaigns and pools for qualified DJ's are also nonexistent.

13. Abayarde

"For Rucker, that process began roughly a decade ago, when equity firm Codigo Group purchased the assets of Fania, installing Rucker as chief marketer. Before deciding what to do with the music, he had to find the music—literally. Codigo executives didn’t even know that the original multitrack recordings were gathering dust in a storehouse in Hudson, N.Y., about 100 miles north of Manhattan. “As we were going through paperwork, we found receipts for the warehouse,” Rucker recalls. “[We] sent a team up there, and that’s where the tapes were.”

this is not exactly true. this tapes were already found by the people of Emusica two years before they bought Fania assets. as a matter of fact, Emusica released the MASTERWORKS series from this tapes, a project that was dropped by Codigo. a bunch of albums pending to be released under this series were never released, including "Fania All Stars Live @ Cheetah's" and a couple of unreleased albums from Lebron Brothers.

DJ Yuca likes this.
  14. DJ Yuca

I had assumed that Código stopped pressing CDs because of insufficient demand i.e. there were only a very small number of people who (like me) would be happy to buy repress CDs. But no, it seems the demand for CDs is there, but they're not pressing them because they're too busy marketing Fania baseball caps to people who don't like salsa. How that makes any sort of sense I really don't know.

Abayarde likes this.
  15. Abayarde

every time I check the classic salsa aisle in record stores, a salsa fan or two is looking for not one, but more than a couple of classic albums that are not even available to download in Fania's web site. at this date, most of Fania catalog is still not available there.

I guess this is happening in all latin markets all over the world. Hey, Classic Salsa is still alive and kicking!

I refuse to think there's no market for most of the classic albums that everybody are looking for. It's like suddenly someone in Codigo thought that all those fans from previous CD's releases are dead, disappeared, or not capable to remember the golden years. I would love to check out their marketing studies (if any) and the demographics included.

As I said before, the only "winners" on this marketing mismanagement are the pirates with lousy copies and the ebay vendors that are selling each previous original CD releases for hundreds of dollars.

are this facts not good enough to reconsider their strategies?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017 at 8:33 PM
    DJ Yuca likes this.
  16. Abayarde

Fania.com... just search for Charlie "Palimeri"... look what you find...... yeah, that's it!

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 3.26.27 PM.jpg

DJ Yuca likes this.
  17. DJ Yuca

And not 1 available on CD. They should press up smallish quantities of lots of old albums (including 50s and 60s stuff), price them as low as possible and they would make a killing. Not necessarily in a short period of time but certainly over a long period of time.

terence likes this.
  18. Abayarde

if Classic Salsa CD's doesn't "sell", somebody please can explain this prices on eBay?...

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.06.43 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.07.07 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.07.44 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.08.01 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.08.20 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.08.40 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.09.52 PM.jpg