Tommy Olivencia

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by jucasa, Jan 20, 2017.

1. jucasa

jucasa Changui

What is your favourite Tommy Olivencia album after plante bandera? It seems the majority choose plante bandera as their favorite Olivencia album so im going to shake the tree and ask you to choose something else.

Go ahead and choose your top 2 or 3.

2. Abayarde

Abayarde Capitán Del Estilo

Planté Bandera is an excellent album but there's also other great albums from La Primerísima...

TommyOlivenciaInca1001Small.jpg

TommyOlivenciaLaloSimon.jpg tommy_olivencia.jpg

Tommy_Olivencia-El_Negro_Chombo-Frontal.jpg

TommyOlivenciaOscar.jpg

3. jucasa

jucasa Changui

I also like La Nueva Sensacion and La Primerisima albums. I really like the voice of Paquito Guzman, a shame he was not on Plante Bandera.

Abayarde likes this.
  4. Abayarde

Abayarde Capitán Del Estilo

La Nueva Sensacion is a very well balanced recording. At that time, the orchestra sounds impeccable; there were playing almost every day in local prestigious hotels (btw, the front picture was shot in San Jerónimo Hotel in Condado, San Juan). Most of it's songs were radio hits then.

Trivia fact: Planté Bandera, Introducing, El Negro Chombo and La Primerísima were produced by Luis "Perico" Ortiz. Most of the arrangements in those LP's were created by Perico. He also played the trumpet and made a few solos.
    At that time in 1976, Luis was also recording with the Fania All Stars.

That said, I'm still wondering why Jerry Masucci doesn't offered him a contract to bring his orchestra in the Fania label. I guess Jerry at that time was more interested in going mainstream/commercial and Perico's concept was not well received as "profitable".

Time proved Perico right when he went solo and started his own record label, New Generation, and made his own albums with his Orchestra and Rafael De Jesús. In the late 70's the success of "Super Salsa", "One Of A Kind" and "El Astro" was HUGE and brought a lot of headaches to Fania executives in the popularity/selling charts.

groovetpt likes this.
  5. Salsabor!

Salsabor! Sonero

I loved all of Olivencia's bands stuff but my favorite albums after Plante Bandera were El Negro Chombo, Sweat Trumpet, Hot Salsa, 30 Aniversario, Vive La Leyenda (his last full studio album in my opinion is underrated)

6. CardNilos8

CardNilos8 Changui

I am fond of Planté Bandera

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  7. WallyRumbero

WallyRumbero Changui

I think Juntos De Nuevo album is amazing! Endel Dueno is onfire on timbales.

8. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

This was one of my first Salsa albums and I still like it very much. He sure knew how to pick star singers.

[​IMG]

9. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

Yes. Great albums! I cannot say enough about Perico -- his killer albums and band, his phenomenal trumpet playing, his arranging, and his role as a progressive forward thinking innovator and band leader. Incredible what he accomplished in the late 70's and 80's.