Tirso Duarte

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Feb 14, 2012.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

I thought I'd start a new thread since the other one is about the state of timba in South America, but for those curious about Tirso, here is some stuff to get started and maybe people can add to it. I have to go to the gym soon so I will just get it started.

Tirso was educated in the Cuban music system so he is quite a virtuoso on the piano. When we changed the Timba.com site I'm afraid we lost some of the content so the more in-depth early years info, I don't remember. But here are some great articles about his piano style with audio samples. Just check out the Chopin tumbao :) You can skip the rest of my post which is some examples of Tirso at various stages of his career but really Kevin's article is fantastic and funny, as they always are, so I highly recommend it.
    timba.com/artist_pages/1030?lang=en-US

And for more on his piano playing again I recommend the conversations in timba article which breaks down the intro song to the Charanguero Mayor CD.
    timba.com/artist_pages/260

But if you don't want to get all scholarly, here is a videolog of Tirso's career: first big name band he was in was Pachito Alonso. Mid 90s
    This is a fun video because we see Tirso (CH, Pupy, NG La Banda, Afro-Cuban All Stars, solo) on synth, but also the Mengual brothers (went to Charanga Habanera) on congas and bongo and Lele (Revé and now Los Van Van) on lead vocals, also Christian Alonso was already singing with his dad's band at this time. Nice stuff!!!
    youtube.com/watch?v=aiPFO-bdamU

Next we see him with La Charanga Habanera after the post-Suspension Concert breakup sometime at the end of 1997 or beginning or 1998. David managed to put together a band with very young but amazingly talented musicians and Tirso was his collaborator on composition and arrangements. They all look like babies in this video hahaha.

This brings us back around to Michel Maza. He was the only one who stayed with David after the breakup. Tirso wrote and arranged this song El Charanguero Mayor when Charanga Forever and Charanga Habanera were struggling to establish themselves as the "real charanga", which we very amusingly (to our own minds) refer to as the "charanguerra". Tirso was pianist with CH, he later was one of the voices on the CD version after Michel left CH. You'll see that the Mengual brothers (Los Mengual as we call them) are also there and Yulién Oviedo who was 16 year old on timbales+kick. They are all very young but they are there for their talent so this is still not the "boy band" version of CH, although they really were just boys at the time.
    youtube.com/watch?v=fHRzg89iy7g

And here is a video from 2001 in Santa Cruz which starts with a piano solo by Tirso and then conga (Orlando Mengual) and bongo (Lázaro Mengual) and timbal (Yulién Oviedo). Sorry groovetpt, for some reason the trumpet solo was clipped.
    youtube.com/watch?v=qT6KaMMF49c

Now 2002 Tirso with Pupy but as a singer rather than pianist. Here is live a from Casa de la musica Miramar singing La Bomba Soy Yo, Pupy's version of the song originally sung by Mayito with Van Van.
    youtube.com/watch?v=XVIWS5QW26c

Don't know the year but here with NG La Banda
    youtube.com/watch?v=WU0bfOx4h8s

As a soloist. Pedrito Martinez does a nice version of this song with his 4-person timba band ;)
    youtube.com/watch?v=Pzi1PECZ0-Q

Here as a soloist in Colombia. You can barely hear him because the audience sings so loud. This song Te molesta que sea feliz was one he sang with Pupy.
    youtube.com/watch?v=2AhKvn-kP94

It's a great song BTW so here is the album version but I like the audience reaction in the video above
    youtube.com/watch?v=UowoaW2vEhA

To summarize: If you're in the NY area you should go see him. the SOB date should finally be set today.

2. ville

ville Nuevo Ritmo

Thank you Michelle for this awesome thread. Tomorrow at work I will look up every link and try to put some real effort also to this topic.

3. timberamayor

Great! It's a lot of links but he's done a lot of stuff. Geeks will definitely like Kevin's articles. He's so funny.

Excerpt

4. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

Thanks! Maybe I can catch one of his NY shows.

5. el_Che

el_Che Descarga

Thanks a lot for this "review" of Tirso's career and the links as well.
    Was nice refreshing the memory :)

And the articles at Timba.com are just great!

6. timberamayor

Tirso has begun uploading some new videos demonstrating his piano style. There are at least 9 there now.

I'm kind of partial to this one

also here is a look at some of the stuff Kevin did in his book about Tirso

disfrazadas and terence like this.
  7. Great find, thanks!

Here is the famous tumbao from Charanguero Mayor

timberamayor likes this.