This song it's a bachata or a bolero? (Entre sabanas blancas de Leoni Torres y Omi Hernandez)

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by Juanan, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Juanan

Juanan Changui

Hello Salser@s!

It is my first post in this forum but I have read you a long time. I did not dare to participate before because I am Spanish and I do not speak much English. But I have decided to start participating.

My first post is for a doubt that I have: The song 'Entre sabanas blancas from Leoni Torres and Omi Hernandez', is it a bachata or a bolero? And because?

Thank you!

2. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Juanan likes this.
  3. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

That is a very beautiful Bolero... And, your English is fine !.... Bien venidos mi amigo .

Juanan likes this.
  4. Juanan

Juanan Changui

Thank you Marisha, I do not have permissions yet to post links.

Gracias!!

How do you distinguish it from a bachata?

PS: This song is being used a lot in Europe for sensual bachata workshops.
    PS2: Google translator it's a good helper, hahaha.

5. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Bolero

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  6. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

This Bolero sounds for me also a little bit like bachata and salsa:D

7. Juanan

Juanan Changui

This is easy to distinguish for me ;) (But i can't tell you why i know it's a bolero and not a bachata, :D)

This is a little more complicated.
    I have found a version with better sound

You can hear the Clave at the start. ¿Have bachata sounds Clave?
    I can hear also the 'kunkun' or double beat of conga what I think it's typical of bolero, chachacha or salsa songs.
    Although that does not seem to be a problem for everyone to dance like a bachata o_O

But, on 'Entre sabanas blancas' I can't ear this double conga beat. And beats on second 58 (0.58") it's very similar for me to bachata beats. :confused:

Marisha likes this.
  8. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Yes...
    Bachata does not have Clave....

9. Juanan

Juanan Changui

Great! Thank you! ;)

10. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

:D:D:D:D:D
    I did not know that bachata does not have Clave before you mentioned that. :D:D:D:D I have not thought about it at all. I am listening 7th bachata song now and try to catch Clave... I cannot find them. :rofl: So, thank you not me.:D

11. terence

The cord structure ( to my ears ) does not speak to Bachata . The tempo is also ideal for Bolero and is more melodic. I guess the reason they use the song , is probably the majority do not know what a Bolero is ! .

But why am I not surprised ? because many teachers are not "IN " the teaching profession per se .

12. terence

That song is not remotely Bolero..( nor are the dancers dancing Bolero )

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Dissonant Harmony and Marisha like this.
  13. terence

Now that is a Bachata . By the way I do like all the songs

14. Tomm

Tomm Tumbao

I was always confused by "bachata" songs with clearly audible clave played with clave sticks ( there is one by juan luis guerra) so this is not bachata at all but rather bolero? nice I'd still dance bachata to it tho ;)

15. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

They dance salsa mostly...:)

16. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

17. canei

canei Son Montuno

A couple of things to distinguish bachata from bolero.

As others mentioned, bachata does not use clave.

Another important one, probably the most important for me, is the bass. In bolero the bass plays 1,3,4, 5,7,8 throughout the whole song (excluding decorative runs). In bachata the bass plays two rhythms, in derecho it plays 1,2.5, 3,4,5,6.5,7,8. In maja'o it plays 1,2,2.5,4,4.5,5,6,6.5,8,8.5. (again this is just the foundation rhythm, excluding any decorative runs)

And lastly a more subjective point, in bolero the requinto is more free form. While the requinto in bachata definitely has a lot of freedom, at some point in the song it usually falls into playing those 3-3-2 arpeggios that are so distinctive to bachata.

Of course all that I've written above applies to real bachata music. Horrible sensual remixes are made by people who don't seem to know the musical rules of the genre, and so butcher it all the time.

terence likes this.
  18. Tomm

Tomm Tumbao

ok so this would be a bolero?

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  19. terence

What a beautiful song !.. I would definitely dance Bolero...

20. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

What is this? I know people dance bachata to it, but is it like a pop-son-bolero ?