The male greeting ritual when men learn to follow

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Aris, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Aris

Aris Changui

I noticed something yesterday in my salsa class. Please forgive me if this has been discussed many times before. I'm still new here.

Since we were short a few followers, a couple of guys decided to jump ship and try following. We all know that one of the best ways to improve your lead is to try following. I just noticed a funny ritual happening last night that I never see when a couple women jump ship and decide to lead in the class.

In my experience, when a woman rotates in as a lead, things just go on as usual. But, when a guy rotates in as a follower, there seems to be a bit more overcompensation going on. The lead guy usually firmly shakes the other guy's hand, their voices go deeper, and they greet each other in as manly a method as possible...usually with a quick blurb about how the local sports franchise is doing. Typically, the compensation is strengthened if the class happens to be doing things in closed position. :D

After a couple rounds, things relax quite a bit, but I really got a kick out of the male greeting ritual. I even caught myself doing it when one of the male followers rotated to me.

Anyone else notice this type of ritual, or is this a cultural thing that only happens in my neck of the woods?

2. It's pretty normal. Women can get all touchy feely with each other, guys... not so much.

Let's say one woman did the buns of steel workout, so she goes to her female friends... hey, feel my butt, the exercise really works!

Then imagine if you have a guy doing the same thing and asking his male friends, hey, feel my butt, those exercises are really paying off!

Also women can say, "wow, that lady is very attractive". Guys won't go, "wow, that guy is really attractive". This most he'll say is "I bet he gets a lot of chicks".

Normal cultural thing.

I tried following the other day. I was dancing with one of my female friends that also know how to lead. In the middle of the song we switched sides just for the heck of it... It was all bad.

3. Aris

Aris Changui

yeah, it's normal for us in California or the US, but I'm curious if it's normal in the rest of the world as well.

4. Aris

Aris Changui

Maybe this idea should be added to the t-shirt thread:

"I'm not gay. I just like to follow."

5. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

LMAO at the last two posts.

6. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

lol - never noticed but that is funny. I am usually just so excited to dance as a follow he he

(fun to try something different plus see life from the other side).