The Machito Thread

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by bailar y tocar, Mar 21, 2013.

1. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

His music is so awesome, it deserves a thread all its own, here is the start:
    Ahora Si
    Relax and Mambo
    Tanga
    Sambia
    Bongo Fiesta

El Caobo, Smejmoon, groovetpt and 2 others like this.
  2. Richie Blondet

Richie Blondet Shine Officer

The greatest Afro-Cuban dance Orchestra of all time.

Some of my favorites are:

EL AS DE LA RUMBA

QUIMBOMBO

YO SOY LA RUMBA

CUBAN FANTASY

TUMBA EL QUINTO

3. Richie Blondet

BLEN BLEN BLEN

SI SI, NO NO

TANGA

MAMBO AMERICA

MACHO

groovetpt likes this.
  4. Richie Blondet

Video/Audio Compilation of Machito's music.

groovetpt likes this.
  5. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Wonderful stuff.

MAMBO_CEC and Richie Blondet like this.
  6. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

Oh yeah, baby! I loved that album. And the thing is I saw Machito with this same band at Aaron Davis Hall in 1982, the year this record was made. I will never forget that concert with the great Machito. Tony Cofresi was a monster lead trumpet player... actually, someone was talking about him the other day while we were driving to a gig upstate, about how he left music and went to Florida to work in the dental field or something like that.

Great thread! Thank you for starting it ByT.

7. Richie Blondet

That's right Chris. I think he [Tony] is retired already. I was talking to his wife via e-mail a few weeks ago. She is a relative of Al Santiago [cousin] and married Tony awhile back.

Like I said in my initial post, Machito Orchestra is the greatest latin orchestra of all time. I'm sticking to that. Everyone has their preferences. Tito Rodriguez, Puente, Noro Morales, Palmieri, etc. Machito set the stage for bringing the American "Swing" into Afro-Cuban music.

BTW-Does anyone know of a website where one could upload music onto and share? I've got a rare Machito Orchestra recording of them performing at the Palladium Ballroom that was taped by Ernie Ensley that I'd like to share and post to this thread. The sound is poor quality unfortunately. But the 'Swing' is there. The Machito Orchestra was an unstoppable locomotive and this recording shows why. Really hip. That saxophone section is a legendary entity all on its own.

Smejmoon and groovetpt like this.
  8. groovetpt

Richie, why don't you try soundcloud.com. Easy to register and use. I'd love to hear that song!

Richie Blondet likes this.
  9. groovetpt

No kidding? Wow. Like I said, Tony Cofresi was a monster. An absolute monster of a lead trumpet player. I wish him well in his retirement.

10. !!!

!!! Tumbao

i get the feeling this might be an expensive thread... :)

11. Richie Blondet

Hey Chris! Great seeing you again tonite over at the Dance Studio of Harlem. Thanks for the rec on soundcloud. I'm a gonna do that...

groovetpt likes this.
  12. Richie Blondet

You want to get at least two to start to whet your appetite if you're not a "Macho" convert as of yet. The CD "FIREWORKS" and the Grammy Winning "MACHITO & his SALSA BIG BAND "Live" at North Sea Jazz Fest."

After that go back in time gradually and chronologically by year/era...

13. salsim

salsim Nuevo Ritmo

I agree, one of the best bands all time

In their 1960 tour to Japan, Machito an his Afro Cubans played their new hit song Sarabanda. here is part of the interview, he said that he had put some old traditional Japanese melody in some of his songs, and that during his stay in Japan he was going to buy some tape recorders and cameras, also he told how he got the name Machito hehehe

best regards all

Veronica, El Caobo and Richie Blondet like this.
  14. groovetpt

Yeah that was fun last night. Good to see you and C.

soundcloud is great -- let us know when you post the song.

Agree with Fireworks rec! Must have that one. Blew my mind when I first heard it.

Hey, btw, I will be playing at Taino Towers with Sammy Gonzalez Jr. April 3.

15. premier

premier Shine Officer

This Mario Bauza, but is this completely different orchestra?

One of the sickest latin jazz tunes ever nevertheless.

16. Richie Blondet

In the same tradition as Machito and the Afrocubans, but, yes, completely different orchestra.

Mario split from the Machito Orchestra in the mid 1970s and formed his own Orchestra.

premier likes this.
  17. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Sounds good.

Recently I got the El Padrino double CD comp. Compared to other recordings by Macho that I own or have heard online, I really don't think it does him justice. There are some good tunes on it, of course (mostly the ones I already have), but also plenty that are unremarkable.

At the Crescendo is another tasty album, particularly for Cuban Fantasy.

18. bailar y tocar

For people who are starting their Machito collection from zero, the Padrino (which can be downloaded from iTunes with 256kb bit rate) is a bargain at $18 for 44 tracks. Several of the tracks are duplicated on several other albums but the album download option on iTunes is still the most affordable option.

My favs from Padrino:
    Tanga
    Wild Jungle
    Bimbi Si
    Beereebee c-u-m bee
    Canonology
    Azulito
    Relax and Mambo
    Ahora Si
    Brazilian Soft Shoe
    Si Si No No
    Lloriqueando
    Coisa Nova
    Yo Soy La Rumba
    Mambo a La Savoy (funny one, could be a sf post)
    One Note Samba (cover tune of Stan Getz(?) original)

14 favs out of 44 tracks is pretty amazing. Most of the others are all right too.

19. bailar y tocar

Other albums in addition to Padrino that I obtained:

Mambo Mucho Mambo
    Tremendo Cumban
    Mango Mangue
    Kenya

All in all between the 5 albums and 104 songs I have about 10 tracks duplicate. That is still very advantageous compared to getting individual songs.

20. bailar y tocar

Btw, the sound on several of these remastered tracks is better than what you can find on old used vinyl today*.

*This is my hunch based on what I think people uploaded on youtube.