Santo Rico spinning technique?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Capibaribe, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Capibaribe

Capibaribe Sonero

Quote: "Tomas is also the pioneer of the world-famous "Santo Rico" spinning technique used by Salsa lovers all over the world."

I've heard much talk about santo rico regarding them beeing such great spinners, and the way I understood it the talk where mainly regarding the leaders...

Soo, any theories or facts about said technique? Maybe some of you follows have danced with them and might have noticed something?

I did a workshop with them at Brit salsafest but they did not say much about the spinning part except using really big preps... Had a look at them on the social dancefloor too but they were too bloody fast for me to make out anything useful. I don't think they ever lead anyting less than tripples :)

2. Salsamakossa

Salsamakossa Shine Officer

Triples huh? No kidding...

3. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Forget Santo Rico -- I was amazed by sweavo's ability to spin a girl -- he's the first person ever to get a quadruple touch&go out of me! :shock:

Well anyhooooo, I want to know more about the Santo Rico method too.

4. noobster

noobster Pattern Police

I only took their beginner lessons, wasn't up to spinning yet at that time; but a friend of mine went farther along in their series and she said they were just really militant about the spins.

E.g., when you start out (at least for me, and for lots of others I know) it is easier to touch your skimming foot down between revolutions. Eventually you lose this crutch. Anyways, the teachers I've had and the spinning DVDs I've seen have all specifically taught/demo'ed the multiple spins with this touch in between. Of course when social dancing they don't do it, and nor does anybody else because you're moving too fast to have time to be putting your foot down all the time.

Anyways, my friend said Santo Rico was really strict about not letting the women tap between revolutions, right from the beginning. She said you got yelled at if they saw you touching! :eek:

Maybe Lara will have some more input on this, I think she used to dance for their team?

Anyways, my humble opinion is that the specific technique may not matter so much. I've had different teachers teach a foot prep or a shoulder prep; I've seen posters here who use a hip prep; and I found you can get away with no prep at all if you use a little arm momentum. People who've been trained at all different schools eventually become excellent spinners given enough time. Given this, I sort of doubt that the specific technique is really the limiting factor.

I think a lot of it may just be practice. And if you dance with Santo Rico dancers, you necessarily get a lot of practice spinning.

Sina likes this.
  5. Jambo

Jambo El Sabroso de Conguero

Now I feel left out :cry:

6. praecantricis

praecantricis Descarga

7. tj

tj Shine Officer

In 4 beats? Whoa! Very nice! :notworthy: :notworthy:

While "salsa travelling" a few years back, I met a woman who said she could do a quadruple spin, but I wasn't able to lead her thru it. What's the trick?

8. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

Dancing on 2 - you get about 6 beats - from (just before) 1 thru to (just) catch the 6... with my teacher on a good day I can get 6 spins into that space :)

I think my spin-leading technique does descend from Santo Rico. I learned from Lossie and Gareth (York) who studied with Mushi and Emma (Manchester) and also with Frankie Martinez and I believe they also had privates with Santo Rico dancers.

My technique involves staying in smooth contact all the way around the turn, not "pulsing". pulsing will get you up to a triple but requires the girl to keep paddling herself. If you are in constant contact then when the girl's inertia runs out you are there to add power. Then the important part is to start braking half a turn before she's to stop! Or it all ends in an embarrassing mess!

Get to Salsology (Manchester) or contact encuentrolatino.co.uk (York) if you want to hook up to these great spinners and teachers of spinning! If you dance with the girls from those town they are used to this type of lead so are good to practice on :)

I'm honoured to have been there at the first time, Macmoto!

/edit: I should point out I don't always MANAGE smooth contact, but it's what I AIM for :)

HiJackSalsa likes this.
  9. Jambo

Just wondering.....do you 'get to Salsology' often Sweavo? I've never missed one since they started - maybe I will get that dance afterall? ;)

10. MacMoto

Yes I noticed the smooth evenness of your spin lead -- quite different to the pulse lead I'm used to. Very nice :).

Next time I'm at Salsology, I'll try grab Mushi for a dance and see if I can get some spin practice out of it (but to be honest I prefer dancing with you! ;) )

11. sweavo

Yep, I go to most, though I was too crook to make the end of year this time :-(

here's me, in just-as-good a photo as any other there seems to be of me :)

salsology.com/contentimages/club/140706/pages/2006_07120342_JPG.htm

12. Swannie

Swannie Descarga

Well I can only lead doubles... and then only well about 40% of the time. I'm usually late on the prep...

But what do you mean by pulsing? Like when I try a double I am thinking *spin* on 5 and 7, and almost certainly add a stronger element to my lead.

You are suggesting a smooth, even paced, even power turn?

13. sweavo

Yeah, "pulsing" is when you give her a lead by pushing her hand away from you so she spins, then when she gets around, pushing again. Each time you are giving her the signal quite clearly and giving her something to push off against, but you are leaving her to make the turn all by herself. This is an exaggeration, but useful for comparison. When you keep the contact, you are pushing her constantly around the circle. She will give herself enough impetus for about two spins, but after that point the power comes entirely from you. Theoretically the power mostly comes from your shoulder. I don't feel good about getting any more technical in written text because I don't want to get a bunch of replies saying "I tried this and she smacked her face on my elbow then fell on the floor crying"
    :?

HiJackSalsa likes this.
  14. Swannie

Swannie Descarga

Hahah. Great, I'll give it a try, although hopefully without the crying.

That said... not going to be dancing for 11 days unless I find some in Egypt! This will be my longest break from dancing since either Christmas, or the two weeks between my very first ever class and my second! Maybe I'll come back to dancing and have forgotten *everything*. (However I secretly hope to come back and find I'm better than I think I am now, as has happened with other stuff that I've taken a break from :) ).

15. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

Dancing on1, I'd usually give a pulsed leads for a double spin on the 4 and the 6, it gives your partner more time. For a double though, you don't need any power behind those leads, your timing should say everything you need and too much power would unbalance your partner.

16. Jambo

You've got a double!!!! :shock: The guy I danced with on Sunday (when I wasn't sure if it was you or not) looks just like you. Have you got a salsa dancing brother? :D

17. sweavo

You would not get my brother near a dance floor until he was to pissed to lead salsa :) Maybe we did dance, I can't remember most of Sunday night!

18. Jambo

Probably wasn't you but he did really look like that Salsology pic. Sort of hope is wasn't you rather than face the fact I'm very forgettable :lol: But you're double was a fantastic dancer anyway :D It was quite late but if I remember rightly I think he was wearing a patterned shirt over a t-shirt.

19. LARA7799

LARA7799 Sonero

Yes, SR is very particular about spinning on one foot. And true, different techniques can produce good results, but I prefer SR because in my opinion, it looks the cleanest. And it doesn't take up as much energy like other spin-techniques.

20. MacMoto

Interesting. I can see the cleanliness of their spins, but how/why does it need less energy? (Pardon my ignorance -- I just have never seen the SR method being taught so I have no idea what's different about it.)