San Franciscans unite

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by antigone, Sep 5, 2008.

1. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

Cocomo this Saturday and/or Glas Kat next Tuesday. Let me know if anyone is interested in meeting up to dance.
  2. noobster

noobster Shine Officer

On call tomorrow night. Who is playing at Glas Kat? I don't see their September calendar on the website. I'll work on getting there if it's a DJ night or an acceptable band.

Who's going to the Beat next Friday? I traded a call to get there so I wanna see some action! :D
  3. Beto

Beto Tumbao

Wish I was back in SF. :neutral: You all actually have decent Friday, Saturday and Sunday night options. :D Just saw an update from a friend on Facebook about hitting HSF tonight, Cocomo tomorrow and Allegro Ballroom on Sunday.
  4. Aris

Aris Changui

I skipped last week because it was DJ night. The September and October schedule was just posted on the Glas Kat website.

September 9 - BAKAN
    September 16 - HUMBRIA (and Bachata played upstairs)
    September 23 - BORINQUIEN
    September 30 - ERIC RANGEL Y SU AMERICA

I've never seen Bakan play, but I should be there on Tuesday.
  5. noobster

noobster Shine Officer

And for the South Bay peeps, anyone know what is going on at Alberto's? I had at least 3 people ask me whether I was planning to compete there next week. Does anyone know, is it freestyle competition or do you have to have a routine and a costume and stuff? And what's the level supposed to be like? I don't want to crash the party if it's supposed to be for newbies but I don't want my @ss handed to me by the pro team dancers either.
  6. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

Anyone check out Jillian's this weekend? I'm curious what the scene was like.
  7. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

Had an unplanned encounter with Jillian's sat opening night. Someone I was with wanted to check out salsa dancing and we ended up at Jillians. Very crowded. About 25% regulars, 25% "street" dancers:), 25% just grooving and 25% watching from the sidelines. DJ was horrible. Lot of merengue thrown into the mix. In around 10.30 out by 11.30-12.00.
  8. SalsaManiac

SalsaManiac Son Montuno

Dang .. and I was in SF 9 days ago. Shoulda asked about the dance spots but might not have made it since g/f is not really into salsa
  9. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

and people, why don't we use this thread for San Fran bay area, so we don't look like we're taking over the forum with all our SF threads :)
    Glas Kat tonight, I'll be there.
  10. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

Aren't there only 4 regular San Franciscans (+ 2 new ones in Aris and Gprefix) on here? I guess we tend to chatter a lot and create noise disproportionate to our numbers :D

BTW last Friday saw a new monthly night open in Mission. Mazacote live and Felipe was spinning. Anyone's checked out the new Wed spot in SF - it is few blocks from GK on 330 Ritchie st or something.

Am planning to go to Cocomo this friday and then hopefully follow it up at Beat later in the night. The Sonoma festival is on the weekend and lot of salsa dancing there as well. So I am skipping all regular days except may be GL tomorrow.

Mambo Rumero is hosting workshops by Eddie Torres and Afinkao by Juan Matos the weekend after!
  11. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

Yeah, someone told me about this last night, but I wasn't listening because I was trying to dance on2 while ignoring the base and disco balls :) It's at Cocomo, right? Do you think it's going to be worth it? Crowded? Basic? I've never been to one of these things.

(oh, and check your voice mail :) )
  12. noobster

noobster Shine Officer

So guys... Beat tonight? I see Offbeat is a maybe... anybody else?
  13. chr

chr Shine Officer

I'll be there, as usual.

BTW, Cocomo looks like a good place to go tonight: Seaon is going to have a birthday party there. It may attract a lot of good dancers.
  14. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

hm..I thought it was rainbow night at Cocomo tonight. I've always wanted to go, but the manager told me it's fun, but a lot of non-salsa gangsta types show up :confused: . I'm going tomorrow...
  15. chr

chr Shine Officer

There may be rainbow night, whatever it is, but Seaon will teach and also perform with his dance team. It does not guarantee much, but he is a prolific instructor, so if his students show up than it may become a good party.
  16. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

Actually I doubt if a lot of good dancers will show up. I hope they do. I have to head to Cocomo first. Then depending upon the scene there follow it up at Beat. Last two times the Beat was slightly disappointing too.

Ricasalsa is also performing I think.
  17. chr

chr Shine Officer

OK, then forget what I wrote about Cocomo.It is true that the turnout in The Beat was a bit lower last time than usual, but I guess it has a lot to do with the summer. They also canceled their monthly workshops for July and August.
  18. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

MR, SG and Felipe's websites have the detailed posted. They are doing it over two-three days of the weekend at multiple locations in the city. If my experience in NYC is to go by, it is totally worth attending ET workshops. You can choose which workshops in the lineup you like (think they have one just for the ladies/followers). However if you are not used to his footwork/shines and the pace at which he goes you may not enjoy the experience. Also if it is crowded (which I expect it to be) it can be a problem to see when he demonstrates the breakdown of the steps. Based on attending a single class and watching another one, his partner-work is based on series of intricate handholds. May be you can start a separate thread asking NYers about what they have to say.

Don't know about Juan Matos but they are going to cap it at first 50 and it is in Berkeley.

Finally made it to the Rainbow event last night at Cocomo. It was fun. Not sure if it's like that regularly or only for yesterday.
  19. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

Turnout at the Cocomo for rainbow was good but only a handful of regular good dancers.

Beat was better than last month but still slow compared to the last year when I went there twice. Every song I danced to the band was 15 minutes long!!! Don't know why they to have bring in bands (& increased the cover). Skipping the Sonoma salsa festival today (too far, too much driving for just one evening). MR has a social at Cocomo tomorrow.
  20. chr

chr Shine Officer

I don't know. I don't think there were significantly more, better or different dancers last year.

However, having a band instead of the DJ is really a step backward. Mazacote was relatively OK, but I agree that the long songs this Friday were very disappointing.