Salsa Style

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by dantoddd, May 14, 2017.

1. dantoddd

dantoddd Changui

Hi!

I've been doing salsa for about 10 months now. I'm slowly moving out of the noob category. I'm even getting the hang of musicality, just a little. I'm still not good at isolating my body parts though. I heard that takes time.

But i want to work on my style or my salsa personality. I'm generally a very laid back easy going person, people say I'm almost lazy when i do everything. So i feel that when i dance with a lot of motion, its not really me. I want to develop a more subdued subtle personal style.

Are there any male leads that i should pay attention to? I don't want to copy them but just to get some direction and inspiration.

2. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

I'd recommend focusing on listening to the music, and what it made you want to spontaneously do,
    but if it's dancers you want to look at - then I'd say: Frankie Martinez, during socials, dancing to a song he appears to like.

I believe @Sabrosura may have specific videos in mind.

---

Also: Sometimes Mitchell Provence.

And Adolfo in that show:

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  3. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Rhythm Deputy

I kinda understand where you're coming from. I've always gravitated towards emulating more subdued, laid back male dancers myself. Just don't mistake laid back with laziness.

I think what you are looking for is flow and smoothness, which often gives the appearance of dancers not doing much when they dance. Look up Shaka Brown, Milton Cobo and Oliver Pineda. There are plenty of examples to choose from.

MAMBO_CEC, Aurel and dantoddd like this.
  4. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

Eric Jones-Santana smoothness personified.

dantoddd likes this.
  5. dantoddd

dantoddd Changui

thx for the input guys so far i like Adolfo Indacochea Shaka Brown and Eric Jones-Santana

6. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

Also adding Jariel Garcia and Jose Luis Gomez for their butteresque qualities on the dancefloor.

7. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

Note: Just because it looks effortless and light, doesn't mean it is effortless.