Salsa Stories tee hee

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by smiling28, Sep 3, 2008.

1. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Hey team,

Just chatted with a friend who is a great dancer. He told me a story that I thought I would share. I had NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO idea:

So, to paint the picture, I am going out dancing and having fun. ALWAYS try to dance with everyone, ask beginners, ask everyone actually and never say no to a dance or if I do then it is a 'I will grab you later' or 'cannot tonight but next time' (and I make good on that promise).

So the story goes, apparently this girl asked me to dance and I said no and then went to chat to this guy, my friend N. Then I go off and N comes over to her and asks her to dance. She thought I had mentioned it to him and it was a sympathy dance. Anyway, they danced and...

They have now been together for almost 2 years and are engaged. They have moved cities and live together (happily ever after I must say he he). So if I had danced with her that night, they probably would not have met as she apparently was thinking of quitting dancing.

My take (justification he he)

Am really surprised I said no to dance as VERY RARE but could have happened. I think I remember and I had already danced with her twice that night so probably said next time. Really glad the two of them got on as they are now both good happy dancers and in a happy relationship.

Yay!

So share your other random salsa stories :)

2. Big10

Big10 Shine Officer

It sounds like the topic of this thread is pretty broad, so here's one that came to mind after reading smiling28's cool story.

I've been a member of a dance group that another guy was recently asked to join by our director. I had known the guy on a casual level in the clubs, but we had never had an extended conversation outside the Salsa clubs. I think of him as a good dancer with a very unique style, and, during the times when I'm just watching dancers from the sidelines, he's one of the ones I'll tend to enjoy.

So, one day we were chatting at practice (either before it started or during a break, I can't remember), and somehow the topic of how we got into Salsa came up. The guy mentioned that he had seen me a few years ago at some outdoor Salsa event and was impressed by the way I was twirling my partners and how it looked effortless. He told me that it had inspired him to start taking classes and learn more about the structure of the dance.

:shock: Wow! Needless to say, that was both gratifying and flattering to know that I had inspired somebody who eventually became a good dancer, without even knowing that he was watching me at some random moment, years before. I think all of us as dancers hope that we can bring other people into "our" community to share the same joy that we feel when dancing -- and that conversation made me feel good that I had done something positive along those lines. It also felt weird (in a good way) to be face-to-face with him years later and realize that I had created some meaningful "connection" back when he was a total stranger, without knowing him or talking to him or even realizing he was there.

So, that's my story. :cool:

3. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

yikes, smiling, that's one hell of a rebound!

great story big10, that's put a smile in my heart!

4. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Awesome story big10!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must feel AMAZING and reminds us that we have effects on so many people and things whether we realise it or not ;)

(so hopefully we do more good...)

As for you sweavo, ha ha. Rebound lol. All is well that ends well........

5. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

wow, Big, that is impressive. I think it should win the best compliments award :)

6. Big10

Big10 Shine Officer

It was a very nice compliment, but I've actually been fortunate to receive a few that were even nicer than that. However, it was certainly the most delayed compliment. ;) Hee hee.

So, who has another good story for us???

7. chr

chr Shine Officer

Here my funny little story that goes back a year:

My daughter was born on 30th of August last year and on Sunday I went to a social and asked a women I happen to dance with occasionally. We started to chat and I told her that I was celebrating the birth of my daughter. Of course, she asked me when was she born. I told her: last Thursday. Then she goes on to say: "Me too". - "You were born on a Thursday as well?" - "No: last Thursday was 30th of August, right? That's my birthday." - She said. This was a funny coincidence, so it stick to my mind.

So, I went out last weekend. She was there again, I asked her to dance and told her: "Happy birthday!". We don't know each other too well, so she was quite surprised: "How do you know that I had birthday yesterday...?". But as she told that, I saw that the explanation has already started to dawn on her...:)

8. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

This involves a couple dance classes I took from the same female instructor.

There was another fellow who also took both classes. Often, a bunch of us would go out for a drink afterwards (fun class, huh?). At some point, I noticed that the instructor and this other guy often sat next to each other, and I started to wonder if they were starting a relationship. I told a friend of my thoughts; she asked the instructor; and it turned out I was right.:bouncy:

When asked about how I knew, the one thing I could think of was that they were together so often, but never had any physical contact. In the touchy-feely salsa world, this was cause for suspicion.

9. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

that is cool!

10. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Ha ha, that is funny.

*imagines angry gf/bf yelling at partner ' I KNOW something is going on between you. YOU DID NOT TOUCH HIM/HER ALL NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!'

lol

11. Wow, that's actually a very good observation. People in the salsa circle do tend to be more touchy feely. Nice insight there.

One day when I was at dance class, one of the students, an acquaintance from the local salsa scene, showed up with a black eye. I guess he had fun dancing the night before. Flying Salsa Elbow, activate!

12. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

Or... he tried to dance a too-close bachata with the wrong woman.
    Or... he got into an On1/On2 argument that turned ugly.