Salsa shine feeedback (from you guys :) )

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by smiling28, Dec 18, 2008.

1. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Hey team,

Would really love everyone's tremendous input in this shine thread.

Now I know this has been covered a lot already but I could not find any specific threads.

Would love everyones input on the following:

1) What is the origin/development of shines in salsa?

- Heard that it started as a guy doing and the girl copying of simple steps but has evolved to almost set patterns of complication or individual improvisation.
    - any thoughts on the evolution of shines

2) What do you think about shines (i.e as a lead/follow).

3) How do you recommend them to be used for maximum effect and enjoyment?

- I note with shines a massive feeling of 'love it or hate it camp'. I have heard many girls say 'I feel like I am just left or he is showing off'.

4) How can I (as a lead) incorporate and promote shines in my dancing plus scene and is it simply accepting that shines are for me because I like the ability to express solo in the music sometimes or is there a way to connect with the girl so that even if she does not like shining she appreciates my love for it and it makes for a much better dance?

Thanks
  2. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

imho, of course... Shines are fine, sometimes even fun, and on rare occasions even worth stopping entirely and watching. For the majority of shines I see from guys I dance with, my main request would be to let me play too. That means that if I see the guy doing something I like in a shine, I might mimic it or continue the movement, or even butt in and re-establish contact - he needs to be aware of what I'm doing and play along. Also, for the time he gives himself for shines, I would, ideally, like him to give equal time back to me - not necessarily to do my own shines, but some footwork and styling on my own time without being pulled to his next pattern.
  3. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

As I understand this (though I can't back it up) the term comes from tap dancing. As best as I can make out, though, the moves may come from Rumba Columbia and a little from tap too. There are other movements in there too though. Wonder where they're from...
  4. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

I just about never put my partner into a T-stance shine, but I quite regularly split from my partner and shine separately. Trouble is that I run out of ideas quite quickly, get bored and back into hold.
  5. himji

himji Sonero

I usually use it because I'm out of ideas and want a break from thinking. I also use it as chat time as it doesn't matter so much if I'm slightly off beat so I don't have to think about that so much freeing me up to chat some.
  6. Salsalona

Salsalona Son Montuno

i hate it when the guy just stops dead and expects you to do shines!! this happened to me last saturday and I absolutely panicked! lol! i only know one shine and I felt too embarrassed/intimidated to do it! Esp as I'd never done one in public before! :)
    But yeah I suppose I just need to just do and get it over with that first time! Take the bull by the horns!

I also read that shines originated from tap dancing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_(dance)#Shines
  7. agarcia97

agarcia97 Sonero

I dont really know any shine routines just yet....I have learned how to do a suzy q and thats about it. Its funny you bring this topic up smiling because I just told a couple of my instructors that I would like to spend some time in privates learning a routine as there is a shie competition next year in April. They looked at me like I was crazy as I have only been dancing for 5 months but I think it will be fun. I got 4 months to prepare.
  8. Salsalona

Salsalona Son Montuno

i get really nervous about doing shines! I hate it when the guy stops dead as I usually don't know what to do. I only know one shine! And I've never done it in public! But surely a guy should ask whoever their dancing with if they know how to do shines before just stopping dead like that. I would like to have the confidence to be able to do them though.

Shines competition sounds like fun agarcia! :)
  9. emarrific

emarrific Sonero

I'm somewhat beginner, so the way I deal with it is to pretend that as soon as we're in open break I'm in a dance club and just club dance with the guy until he swoops in- bonus if I can incorporate some basic step, suzie qs, shines I saw someone else do, mimicry/syncing or general silliness- but in a pinch, it's a good way to "survive" the open break as a beginner. Sometimes it's even refreshing because the guys like "what the..?" and then gets a big smile on his face.

Some dancers may may get po' faced but then again, who cares about them? :buttkick:
  10. Aris

Aris Changui

Now that I've progressed a bit, I tend to do shines in only a couple situations:

1. I lose connection with the girl I'm dancing with. In this case, I usually do a quick 8-beat shine in her general direction before picking her up again. It looks a lot better than just chasing after her.

or,

2. When I feel that the music calls for it. Usually, this happens during a percussion solo. (either the timbale or bongo going off) In my head, when the musicians are improvising with their solos, it's only natural that I do the same on the floor.

When I first started, I had a couple of shines that I had memorized. Nowadays, I just go where the groove takes me. But, I usually cut it short if I'm dancing with a beginner who isn't playing along too. Even though shines are danced solo, it's more fun if the follower is enjoying herself too.
  11. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Sweet, sounds like heaps of fun!

Check out youtube shine videos, even some good DVDs out there. Ismael Ostero is a great teacher of shines from my experience as he teaches principles/inspires you instead of just learning a single pattern.

Have fun. Worst case scenario this will be a great tool to push your dancing and develop your body awareness!

Best case scenario, we celebrate our new shine champion overlord :)
  12. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Great suggestion, I love that!
  13. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

I heard that the term came from the mambo era at places like the Palladium, where there was more emphasis on footwork and less on partnering. Guys (maybe women too) would shine their shoes to call more attention to their moves.

My biggest challenge with shines is choosing them so that I'm dancing with my partner, as opposed to us both doing random moves. In other words, I'd like to have the ability to recognize what my partner is doing so I can do something compatible or identical for a bit.
  14. Salsalona

Salsalona Son Montuno

hee hee love this idea! I never even thought to do that! I always feel like because I'm at a salsa club that it has to be strictly 100% salsa moves and I can't put a foot wrong or I'll be ousted! But yeah, I'm gonna try this, it sounds like fun! :bouncy:

As well as learn more shines of course
  15. Jolinia

Jolinia Descarga

I like to shine, but only when my partner keeps the connection. That is if we keep communicating and play off each other.
    But when I see that he has totally forgotten that I'm there I get bored after a while. But that may also be that I don't remember many shines and keep repeating the same stuff over and over again. For some reason if we play off each other, I find it easier to remember shines.
  16. vancouverguy

vancouverguy Sonero

My understanding of the origin is similar in that the gentlemen would shine their shoes in an effort to highlight their feet.

I think their great, for helping a rookie get stable on his feet (practicing alone) and is what I do by myself. Great way to work on your timing, balance, etc and getting all your body into it (i.e. the suggestions to smiling). I do however try NOT to go beyond maybe 15 seconds as that in my opinion is kind of rude to the follow unless she is into it, which you are certainly going to find out even in that short time.

Imagine guys if the follow broke away from you and started doing her own thing. That would be a bit unsettling.

I also heard that the guys would face off to each other and try and out shine the other. Sort of in a challenge fashion.
  17. noobster

noobster Shine Officer

Uh yeah, I do that all the time. Sorry guys! But I gotta look out for my own good time yanno. :)
  18. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

looking forward to dancing with you oneday :)
  19. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

Do you? :p

*need to pay more attention next time*:D
  20. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Good to see you back posting again noob :) I've been wondering where you'd gone...