Salsa Pilgrimage (maybe going to NY/Egypt/Cuba???)

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by smiling28, Dec 9, 2008.

1. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Hey team,

Just wondering 2 parts.

1) What is the ultimate salsa pilgrimage?

2) I am *HOPING* fingers crossed to be able to do a trip say from Dec 26 to mid Jan.

Destinations:

New York: (oh yeah, hello SF members :) )
    Egypt: Always wanted to see the Pyramids plus get to meet TrulyMadlyAmanda :)
    Cuba?

*The plane ticket I am considering (about $3,500 ouch) is around the world allowing 26000 miles or something so that would allow me to visit 3 places or so the travel agent said.

So what do you guys think?

Would also LOVE to visit San Francisco when in the US if possible as have been told great things and that it would suit my personality.............hmmm ha ha :)

Happy to hear any suggestions and would of course love to visit any SF members so suggestions welcome hurray :)

So any ideas? Comments etc etc?

Would love to hear. Thanks so much!

(have to wait for one thing here to fall into place with work but crossing fingers).

The alternative is camp Rod (no not gay rod) but more retreat rod where I just do a self development/dance camp in my holiday here with lots of cool training hurray :)

Thanks

2. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

definitely, definitely egypt! :cool::cool::banana:

maybe new york and puerto rico or miami for your other destinations...great salsa, with crossbody lead styles. where are you with regards to on2? you cant fly direct to cuba to/from the US and personally i think it's better to go with someone who's been there before, or good information, since the 'brain drain' makes it tough to find good private teachers. and cuba really deserves a month on its own!

alternatively, since you'll be in 'this neck of the woods', how about london and amsterdam? i would suggest paris too, but though the salsa's good, the locals are not notoriously friendly (though i could introduce you to some people online to smooth the way, if you've always wanted to go to paris). dubai and israel are good salsa destinations too...

:applause::applause::applause:

3. Big10

Big10 Shine Officer

Since I am going to be dancing in New York City in mid-January (maybe the 16th, but definitely the 17th & 18th), then I'd have selfish reasons for recommending that you go there at the same time. ;)

However, objectively speaking, the weather in the northern U.S. has the potential of being really unpleasant during that time of the year. So, I'd recommend places like Miami, Puerto Rico, and/or Los Angeles if you're going to be in this section of the world during January 2009. Those places would all have great music, fun dancers, and relatively mild weather for our winter months.

4. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

unpleasant, but it's not that bad. I think we've had about 5 snow storms of significance this decade. Thank you global warming, or whatever the hell is going on. I generally default to blaming Canada.

Besides, weather has nothing to do with my salsa destination. If Griselle Ponce was dancing on Santa's roof, I'd be there ;)

5. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

$3,500 for 26,000 miles and with a last minute booking, thats cheap!

I would not recommend Cuba if you can't do at least 3 weeks there alone and by my count Dec 26 to mid January is only 3 weeks.

A better option for Cuban dancing is Italy. All (and I mean all) of the best Cuban dancers live in Italy* as do a huge number of NYC dancers and PR dancers, too.
    *Check the Cubamemucho website for specific names, google their bios to find out where exactly in Rome or elsewhere they live. The names that come to mind are Alberto Valdes, Yanek Revilla etc.

So my recommended itinerary (for salsa): Roma i Milano en Italia, NY in USA, Cali in Colombia. You would have all major salsa covered in one trip.

6. PielCanela

PielCanela Sabor Ambassador

ya dont let the NYC cold scare you, you will be sweating in the dance floors anywise :). ya it can get bad but nothing that some warm clothes can't take care of.

7. himji

himji Sonero

Spain any good?

8. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

Spain is good but not very good. You'll find yourself withdrawn to do some other stuff.

Let NY be your first destination, because I will not be here mid Jan thanks to my amazing job.
    Egypt defo, you wouldnt want to come back, amazing hospitality and completely laid back friendly people.
    Not Cuba...And this is just based on my personal opinion, but I did not enjoy dancing there, however I enjoyed the culture and the music.
    Italy is GREAT..amazing dancers.
    Dubai has a relatively small scene, and you wont get to dance with locals as much...so what is the point?
    I would recmmend Israel and Lebanon.... LOVELY

9. TrulyMadlyAmanda

LOL! so it's your fault that the US goes to war with canada in the south park movie...? ;);) youtube.com/watch?v=Nd90zqsjzO4

i thought i hadnt seen 'Gristle' lately... ;);)

10. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

if helps at all, I'll start buying aerosol cans right away. Let's get this global warming thing moving :p

11. naturallove

naturallove Sonero

Amanda-you have me a bit worried. I am thinking seriously about heading to the Paris Mambo Festival, but if folks aren't that friendly, it's not worth me traveling a few thousand miles for.

12. bailar y tocar

Its not the heat (cold), its the humidity.
    They say Arizona is tolerable because its a dry heat. (Although I have been there in 120F/48C weather and that was not fun.) Egypt is probably better in summer than Houston but I wouldn't know haven't been to either.
    On the other end of the spectrum: Prague at +1C feels much colder than Minneapolis at -7C.

13. TrulyMadlyAmanda

hey, maybe my info's out of date! we recently had a nice moroccan guy here on holiday from paris and he was lovely. and i danced with a random parisian guy called Mouli (or Mouni, or something like that?) and he was a lovely dancer and friendly with impeccable manners. if you're on facebook, friend me and i'll 'suggest' some parisian facebook 'friends' for you, so you know some people going in. or you could always just tell everyone you're Leon Rose's friend....they worship him like a god there - seriously, he gets asked for autographs! :eek::cool:

the weather in Egypt is AWESOME. 360 days of sun, or something ridiculous like that and very dry. i keep the shutters down in my bedroom, and recently realised that i'd gotten ready to go to the pool without even checking the weather! :cool: the hottest it's been (august) since i got here was 37C and that was lovely. i last got rained-on here in april - and that was what we'd call 'pre-rain' in the UK....the few drops before it actually starts raining...

14. chr

chr Shine Officer

'
    Of course NY is a no-brainer.

As a guy (I'd not necessarily recomennd it to girls) I'd suggest Eastern Europe (Esp. Prag and Budapest). There are a lot of parties and the girls are fun and extremely friendly.

In my limited experience Baltimore/DC is really good and Toronto may be worth checking out as well.

And if you happen to visit to the Bay Area, I could offer you to stay over a night or two at my place in Berkeley if we are here (we'll be away between 12/30 and 1/4).

15. bailar y tocar

The only French salseros I ever met were also from Morocco (or Tunisia) and I don't think they were too selective regarding women. I was staying at the same casa particular in Habana centro and me and one of the guys went to a tourist trap bar on Obispo in H.vieja. We walk in and this women in the bar goes Mango! Mango! and is all over the guy. There is a longer story to this but in the end he got some and paid none. {Both guys did say that they liked Cuban women better than Parisian women and I can venture an ewag why}

16. TrulyMadlyAmanda

ewwww, gross! one thing i dont miss about living in havana is all the sex tourism and jineteando... :confused::mad:

which bar on obispo? floridita, lluvia del oro, that place with all the plants and the son band, or one of those 2 tiny places with bands facing each other on the corner before obispo and habana? now i'm 'home'sick, prostitution notwithstanding... :cry: i spent many an afternoon hanging out and playing chess in that little art shop opposite lluvia del oro (translated as 'shower of gold'or 'golden shower', depending), listening to the house band gradually improve. :cool:

17. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

Does that mean I can stop recycling every Wednesday night?

18. naturallove

naturallove Sonero

I love Leon Rose! He is a blast to dance with and also has a great personality. I would love to go to Egypt one day. I am scheming to find an academic conference that will plunk me in that area of the world. ;)

19. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

San Fran might be rainy during that time...New York will almost definitely be freezing cold, potentially rainy, but possibly snowy and very festive. I dare anyone to not love the SF bay area, but if you've never been to NYC, you'll love it too, although for different reasons (the best thing about SF are the amazing natural surroundings, vs. NYC the concrete jungle which never sleeps...No, Central Park does not mitigate the effects of concrete if you're just visiting :) ). And keep in mind that you'll be traveling in the middle of the flu season, so you may not want ot overload yourself too much in case you need to recuperate midway.

20. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

He'll be more focused on the brilliant dancing if anything.

There was a flu going around in early November, but that's an interesting point. If you go anywhere really, the viruses are going to be a tad bit different. I took a trip to Bulgaria once and spent my second to last day completely in bed. I didn't see what hit me...
    I think he should be more worried about the salsa bug that's been going around:p I can't seem to shake it...