Salsa, Philadelphia, 10th - 15th Nov, Where?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Swannie, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Swannie

Swannie Descarga

Hello one and all,

I'm on a business trip to Philadelphia. I have my Jingas with me. I want to dance.

Who's around who might remember when I actually posted on this here thing?

Who can let me know where I *could* go every night (not that I intend to, I expect I'll be working 1/2 of them!).

Cheers guys,

Swannie!!!
  2. PielCanela

PielCanela Sabor Ambassador

no NY?.. weekend?.... Irish girl I belive is from there so she hopefully can give you some pointers
  3. Brendan

Brendan Son

To be honest I don't make it out dancing all that often but take a look on:

http://www.trinijunglejuice.com/sitcevents.html

It'll depend a bit on where you are and how mobile you are. The main nights close to the centre of town are The Reef on Tuesday and Brazil's Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. If you want to do any studio classes (in addition to social dancing) then I like Darlin Garcia's classes or Tuesday and Wednesday at Estilo (http://www.estilodancestudio.com/).
    In terms of style, most people dance on1 and it tends to be more NY influenced.

Brendan
  4. allantab

allantab Son

Hi Swannie, here are two great sites to find some salsa places in Philly

www.salsadelphia.com
    www.trinijunglejuice.com/sitcevents.html (check weekly dance events)
  5. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

OK since I like Philly, I can give this a shot. On Tuesday check out the Reef, the instructor is Joe Figuroa, who is one of Edie's best leads for 2008. Its a small spot, but the music is pretty good and the dancing is OK. Its a mostly On1 crowd, but you get some that can dance a little On2 as well.

Here is the website reefcaribbeanlounge.com/

Here is a vid of Irish Girl dancing with Bernard from NC @ Reef
    youtube.com/watch?v=brpO2xCjcRU

On Wednesday check out Basils. Irish girl might be at these. At Brasils, you will get a better level of dancing. The music is just OK. Here you might run into the dancers from Art In Motion, Eli (the Prince of Salsa), and other good local dancers.

Here is the website clubheatphilly.com/brasils/

On Friday, there is a big party planned at La Luna Dance studio. Jayson Molina will be giving workshops (maybe with Griselle Ponce). Here you should be able to run into dancers like Eli, Art In Motion, Raul Santiago and some of the other good local dancers.

Here is the website lalunadancestudio.com/event_details.php?e_id=367

I hope this helps.
  6. Swannie

Swannie Descarga

Wow,

Awesome replies. Thank you all.

No NYC. It's a bit far I'm afraid. Though I did consider flying into Newark and doing an overnight in Jersey City on the Friday, I decided I really didn't like the thought of a 3am (equivalent, in reality 10pm) drive from Newark down to Phili.

Looks like I shall try to get out for that Friday night, and maybe tomorrow at Reef.

Excited now. I'm on1 and to be honest, if the dancing level is too high, I'd be hugely intimidated!
  7. redHOT

redHOT Son

Note that Joe added Glam on Thurs nights to his club spots (not sure how to word that). He usually does Bachata lesson then Salsa Lesson then open dancing. It will not be a beginner lesson, so for a little challenge take the class.

If you want a copy of the e-mail that comes out w all places for the week, I can forward a copy if you PM me. I think the e-mail comes out every Tues.

Also Friday nights, no cover charge, Viva in Feasterville. It is small, but there is a crowd of regulars...mostly people who have been intermediate for more than 1 or 2 years. It may feel more like "Cheers" than other local Salsa dances.

If you are into Joe, his beginner I & beginner II classes are Fridays in the northeast. I may end up going just bc it is 10 mins from home. Not sure what else...oh Savoy (used to be the Woodbine). Heard some good things, but was really disappointed in the few times I went before they stopped Latin Quarter nights for the summer.
  8. irishgirl

irishgirl Rhythm Deputy

i've just pm'd you pretty much all of that information.

plus an on2 location specifically for Fri night.....

la luna party is this friday? cool....though me and my fractured toe are not allowed to dance too much :(
  9. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

Traffic on the NJ Turnpike should be a breeze at 3am.
  10. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

it's barely over an hours drive
  11. irishgirl

irishgirl Rhythm Deputy

well philly is definitely an On1 scene so maybe he'll give us a try down here, always exciting to get new faces!
    and the scene is anything but intimidating we are very nice people here :) Even the "good" people aren't scary!
  12. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

Glad I could be of help. Please make sure to provide us with a review of your activities. I think the party of Friday will be pretty good, if you can make it.
  13. irishgirl

irishgirl Rhythm Deputy

i just heard jayson molina will be there friday night and local performers too :)

to go or not to go...fractured toe did not enjoy dancing last night........
  14. redHOT

redHOT Son

I looked it up. I dont know if copying the description of the party is allowed & those not in the area may not care. It does sound better than a typical La Luna dance party. It should be an interesting performance to watch. Perhaps more dancers than the usual crowd will be there.
  15. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

I posted the link when I first mentioned it on Monday. If you go to page 1 of this thread and use the link, all of the information is there.
  16. irishgirl

irishgirl Rhythm Deputy

well i'd put it to you like this, it will be significantly better than Brasils on Friday night! And there really are no more decent options....
  17. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

BTW, while you are in Philly you might want to look around for the cameras because there is a salsa movie currently being filmed there.

Here is the trailer youtube.com/watch?v=GuZCCFlSpOY
  18. Swannie

Swannie Descarga

Argh! Salsa Forums wasn't emailing me and I was sure I was subscribed with email notifications... oh well.

I'm off out tonight to the La Luna Dance Studio.
  19. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

Have fun and make sure to report back!!
  20. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

Do we get a review of Philly?