salsa injuries

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by misty, Apr 8, 2010.

1. misty

misty Son

Since I have been going out for salsa regularly, I have noticed that my body is sustaining several repeated types of strains.

1. On crowded dance floors, I have been stomped on at least once a month and there has been more then one instance where I went home early because I was limping due to severely bruised toes or broken straps on my shoes.
    2. When dancing in very tall heels, my ankles, calves and knees get tired easily. I know I can wear flats but I prefer tall heels because they look prettier and match my skirts much better. That and because I love the extra height. How do others here prevent ankle, calf and knee strain from dancing in tall heels on a regular basis?

2. chrisk

chrisk Super Moderator Staff Member

First, welcome to SF, misty!

May I introduce you to our wonderful search engine? If you feed it with the word 'injuries', you'll come across the following threads, which may contain some helpful advice.

How to keep on dancing? (Question No. 3 seems to be the interesting one for you)
    Arthritis/Knee Wear & Tear

3. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

More salsa-related injury threads:

Common injuries in Salsa?

salsa injuries

Salsa injuries and how to deal with them.

Can't help much with the heels issue - I wear heels about 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inches high, and when I tried 3 in, I had a major problem adjusting so I gave up. In my heels I can dance all night no problem. The only pain I get is when the shoes are new and I get blisters on my feet. How long have you been dancing? Maybe your legs will get used to the abuse :rolleyes: after a while...

4. misty

misty Son

ChrisK, MacMoto, great threads you directed me to, thank you both.

I am very new to the salsa world, having just become a regular at my local salsa scene over the last two years. I thoroughly enjoy salsa but the number of injuries and the severity of injuries I sustained due to being stomped on, once by a stiletto heel of someone dancing near me almost caused me to quit the salsa scene forever.

Interestingly enough, one time as I was badly injured and was limping towards the exit when I remembered someone named Pedro at a salsa club who I discussed injury problems with. He suggested I talk to others here at Salsa Forums to see what precautions serious salsa dancers take to prevent such injuries. I don't know what Pedro's alias is here on Salsa Forums but his suggestion for talking to all the pro and advanced dancers here was great advice.

How long have you been doing salsa for MacMoto? Have you been able to remain relatively injury free during your reign on the dance floor?