Salsa in Seattle?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by salsaterra, Aug 14, 2008.

1. salsaterra

salsaterra Changui

I am from Philadelphia and will be visiting Seattle at the end of August for the first time. I have a Thursday free and I wanted to check out Clubs, classes, or studios.

Is anyone familiar with the area and scene?

If so, Please Advise.

Thanks!

2. tj

tj Shine Officer

Definitely go to the Century on Thursday and Saturday nights. centuryballroom.com/

3. quixotedlm

quixotedlm Sonero

Ditto what tj said. If it is Thursday, then Century Ballroom is really the best (and the only good) place to go to. Same applies for Saturdays as well.

4. n'klave

n'klave Son Montuno

Is Century still the place to go? There's a chance that I'll be in on either a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday night in early June.

5. Salsa Bear

Salsa Bear Sabor Ambassador

Good Timing!

Check out my website (see the link in my signature), especially the Seattle section, the Seattle Salsa Calendar and the article "Seattle's Salsa Scene" (which I published just last night).

On Wednesday, you can choose between a Bachata social or Salsa at Babalu (a posh club in North Seattle) or DanceWorks Studio in nearby Redmond.

Thursdays are pretty much limited to Salsa at Century Ballroom - unless you want to check out some Brazilian music at Cellars. (I've never even been there; I hope to check it out for the first time this week.)

There are more options on Fridays and Saturdays. I've only been to Rock Salt once, but I thought it was pretty nice. I also like Selena's Guadalajara. Both have Salsa on Friday and Saturday both, I believe. However, Selena's attracts a much smaller crowd. Century Ballroom is the best choice if you want to meet a lot of people.

6. lidiap

lidiap Changui

Yes, the Century is still the place to go. Thursdays are pretty good there, and from all the options that's the one I'd recommend. Wednesdays are not the best (Babalu is very small and definitely not posh), Redmond is far from Seattle, dead zone, no serious dancer goes there (sorry SalsaBear). On Fridays the options improve. El Malecon is pretty good (be advised the action starts really late, don't even bother going before 10:30 -11 pm). Oftentimes there are special events that attract good dancers at Belltown Dance Studio on Fridays, check their schedule closer to your trip http://belltowndancestudio.com/schedule. China Harbor has just started being promoted again for Fridays, we'll see how successful that is but the potential is there http://citysalsavibe.com/seattlesalsavibe/?page_id=24. From your ID I'm guessing you're a 2 dancer, I'd definitely skip the other clubs mentioned as dancing on 2 is pretty nonexistent there.

Have fun!