Salsa in Istanbul

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by BachataIreland, Mar 5, 2012.

1. BachataIreland

BachataIreland Changui

Hi All!

Im a first time poster. Im from Ireland, but I have friend in Istanbul who wants to take up salsa.

Can anyone recommend any classes? She is a beginner.

Thanks!

2. olamalam

olamalam El Sabroso de Conguero

Where does she live in istanbul?

3. olamalam

Here are two good schools on Asia side:
    Montuno Dance Studio (couldnt find their web pages. check FB)
    www.aytuncbenturk.com

And two good schools in European side:
    www.imudance.com
    www.depodans.com

From the list above, I would recommend IMU dance since they give importance to musicality and technique. Also they put afro cuban elements to their dance. Ozlem gives some rumba workshops in the weekends as well. They also have jazz classes which is great when your friend reaches higher levels. Also they have on2 classes after 6 months.

Depo dance is also good but I would recommend only Kutsal's classes there. Depo dance is more crowded than IMU so your friend will find more practice opportunity. (apart from classes, these schools have practice session for 3-4 hours on sundays.)

if she can wait for 2 months, I can teach her ;)

4. olamalam

And parties:

Wednesday: My House @Taksim
    Friday: Big Plate Latin Night @istinye park
    Saturday: Mackolik Complex @Kadikoy (Cihat Can dance school)
    Saturday: Romeo&Juliet @Taksim (Depo dance or IMU dance)

5. BachataIreland

BachataIreland Changui

Thanks!

Thank you for your help :)

6. olamalam

You're welcome. Let us know how it goes.

7. poohling

poohling Changui

Hi Olma,
    I will be in Istanbul in Sept. Wish to go to some salsa parties. Can you recommend some nice places? Also is there any special open air salsa parties in Sept? I will be in Istanbul on Sept 1 and Sept 9 and 10. Thank you.

regards,
    Pooh Ling

8. olamalam

Hi poohling,

Unfortunately sunday and mondays are our poor nights. Only on sunday I can take you to an afternoon social at a dance school if I'm in istanbul.

But saturday night is the best night to dance in istanbul. we have 2 very good parties both of which are open air (during summer most of the parties are open air here). Generally I go to one of them till midnight and the go to the other on untill 3 am.

See you here!

9. olamalam

@Thornado,

I'll reply here, so that others can see as well.

You are more lucky than pooh since you'll be able to attend our other good parties on wednesday and thursday. Both parties are in Taksim where your hotel is. (I can host you as well). both parties are at very cool places with sea view. On thursday, it'll be at a terrace at 10th floor of a building!

I'll pm you my number.

10. olamalam

So

on Wed: @My house in Taksim (Sıraselviler street.)
    on Thrs: @Caprice in Taksim (istiklal street. top floor of AFM fitas)
    on Sat: @Fresco in Taksim (ITU [istanbul technical university] taşkışla. in front of hyatt ragency hotel car park)

parties 10:30pm - ~3am

11. olamalam

opps I'll be in Cyprus between 7-11 September for salsa jam festival :)

12. poohling

poohling Changui

Hi Olamalam,

Thanks for the reply. I think I will check out Fresco in Taksim on Saturday. :)

13. Thornado

Thornado Changui

Thanks for the info.
    Stupid question... Is "My House" a club or something that has that name, or are you actually hosting a salsa party at your house? :)

14. Thornado

Thornado Changui

Oh, one more thing. Does any of these places do the basic beginner class at the start of the evening?
    I'm in Istanbul for a conference, so I will be with lots of non-dancing colleagues, but it would be "interesting" to get them to join me for salsa one of the evenings.

15. olamalam

its the name of the club. my own house is not that big unfortunately.

KateV likes this.
  16. olamalam

there is no drop in classes in istanbul. you need to join to a dance school which makes it impossible to attend class for visitors.

you can invite 2-3 of your collegues (cute female ones) so that we can teach some salsa to have fun :p

17. sallykks

sallykks Changui

Hi hi I am a salsa lover from Hong Kong. Having visit plan to Istanbul on Dec 22. Anyone can advise me where to dance ? Thanks Sally

18. olamalam

Hi Sally, welcome to salsaforums and istanbul! which dates are you going to be in istanbul? we have good parties on wed-thr-fri-sat and a good afternoon social on sunday. most of them are in taksim area.
    i can take you to parties when you are here ;)

19. sallykks

sallykks Changui

thanks for your quick reply. I will be there on Dec 22. Probably will confirm hotel in a few days n will message you. Looking forward to my first dance there. Have a nice day ^.^

20. olamalam

Only 22nd? Then it's on saturday, we have several good parties in Taksim.

You know, you don't have to stay a hotel, I can host you if you like ;)