Salsa Cabaret???

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by smiling28, Oct 30, 2008.

1. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Hi,

Can anyone tell me more about this genre of Salsa, like history, how it is seen in the salsa scene etc.

Eg. Would Dave and Zoe (of NY) be considered Salsa Cabaret?

I really want to get into this as I enjoy lifts (poor girls do most of the work he he :) )

2. CrystalC

CrystalC Son

Having some "stunts" add a bit more spice and excitement to a performance.... That's how I see it...

I would really love to go into lift and tricks one day..... but its not going to be easy for me and my partner as I'm not petite.

3. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

1. Petite is relative and I think you are

2. Even if you were not petite, Dave (not petite) of Dave and Zoe fame did the lifts he showed us as the follow so its about core strength and development.

The only thing that can stop something is you ;)

Go for it!

(safely and slowly like all of us though :) )

4. PielCanela

PielCanela Sabor Ambassador

here is the definition of cabaret(worldsalsachampionships.com/rules.htm)
    Salsa Cabaret Division:

Combination of heated and solo performances. Lifts, Cartwheels Or Any Similar Lifts or Tricks are permitted. Lifts are defined as any assisted movement whereby any partner is carried off the floor. Whether the feet are 2 inches off the floor or 10 feet, this type of assisted movement will still be considered a lift or trick.
    Shines are permitted. Solo routines must be 50% recognizable salsa*, and although either On 1 or On 2 Style is permitted, chosen rhythm must be maintained throughout the dance part of the performance. 25% of the routine must reflect "Quick-Quick-Slow" salsa timing.

------

I wouldn’t call Dave and Zoe style cabaret, actually they have move quite beyond salsa, what they show is in fact beautiful movements to music, almost a combination of modern dance plus gymnastics. I have seen it in person is just incredibly beautiful, and I think they are doing a great service to our congress, however I wouldn’t call it a genre of salsa.

I think how people see it, is a matter of personal preference, city, and style of salsa. For what I seen lifts/dips tend to be more prevalent in the on1 scene, probably due the more flashy nature of the style. In here in NY such a displays are frowned upon and looked down by the salsa community. While in performances people do seem to enjoy watching it, poor of the fellow who dares to do such a thing in the dance floor.

I personally disliked as I see no musical value to it in social dancing, however I emphasize this a personal preference, and I see nothing wrong with other people doing it, or pursuing, as long as you don’t put your partner and the people around in a dangerous or uncomfortable position.

Now if I am going to see Dave and Zoe, I am not looking it as a dance, rather as a beautiful show, where the music is a background, almost secondary to the artists, in those cases as I mention before, I do enjoy it.

For the people who wish to learn. Dave and Zoe are the masters, Salsa Freak has a dips dvd, and Alex Da Silva as one of lifts, also if you search in google there are a couple of non-salsa videos that teach lifts,

5. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

wow, great post and COMPLETELY agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

not to plug but Billy and Katie (both in performance and instruction) are incredible also!!!!!!!

7. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

I don't consider Dave & Zoe's routines salsa at all - amazing, beautiful, musical, but not recognisable as salsa.

8. sac

sac Tumbao

yes macmoto is absolutely right....its not salsa by any means but they are amazing performers.

9. CrystalC

CrystalC Son

Agree......it's not Salsa but acrobatics dance/performing art....
    Same goes to Billy & Katie's performance last year at SISF.... not salsa, but an awesome performance.... I call that "snake dance"