Salsa attire suggestions very welcome

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by kerry.alder, Dec 29, 2009.

1. kerry.alder

kerry.alder Sonero

When salsa dancing, what color pantyhose should I wear to match my little black dress and tall black boots?

I am going to be attending a series of Latin dance events/parties in several cities over the next few months. I have already chosen a little black dress that has spaghetti straps over the shoulders and a loose black flower pedal skirt that should look great when I spin. I have a super comfortable pair of knee high black suede boots with a wooden slim heel that I will be wearing at all the dances. What color pantyhose would go with the black skirt and black boots? If I wear black pantyhose, would I be too dark and thus people can't see my dance moves or would black pantyhose be more high class? Would skin tone pantyhose work with the black dress and boots?

Since I will be dancing in different cities with different crowds of business people, I do not need a different outfit for each night. I just need one really great outfit. Help please, especially from others who have attended many salsa events before.

Happy new year everyone!

2. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

Since your dress is noodle straps, which means you're showing shoulder and possible some back, then def go with sheer **** pantyhose, you don't want to be monotonous now, do you?

3. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Agreed.

Another option is to go for a really bright colour (red, purple, pink...) and pick that colour up with accessaries or hair band or something. Good especially if your hair's dark. If you are a blond, you probably don't need it.

4. salsashoes

salsashoes Sonero

sheer what ???
    surely it did not get ******. what ever colour you said .

5. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

if you're not sure you'll get dances, go with stocking tops instead.

6. Lola

Lola Sonero

You can stand wearing pantyhose while dancing? It drives me absolutely bonkers. I would simply go without and make sure I was wearing my dance shorts underneath.

7. kerry.alder

kerry.alder Sonero

Interesting idea about the accessories! I have long blonde hair but perhaps I can add a pair of glittery earrings to match the glittery necklace I already bought.

As for pantyhose color, have you ever seen anyone wear bright color pantyhose with a little black spaghetti dress and black boots? That suggestion did catch me by surprise but it is an interesting proposition IF I can pull it off ....... :eek:

Thank you for the ideas :)

8. kerry.alder

kerry.alder Sonero

Really? I feel naked when dancing without pantyhose on, especially when doing certain moves where my skirt is not sufficient to maintain my modesty haha Actually, I like how pantyhose gives me flawless legs each time I dance :) I sometimes wear dance pantyhose (the kind cheerleaders wear) as opposed to regular pantyhose as that is thicker and does not run or tear as easily as the regular type.

9. Nicole_de_reve

Nicole_de_reve Son Montuno

I'm with Lola on this one; every place I've ever gone dancing I always get too hot, and I ditched pantyhose early on.

I've found that what we call "biker shorts" in the U.S. (made out of spandex) work really well for me... super comfortable and no worries about modesty! I bought them originally for yoga but use them anytime I'm wearing a skirt or a dress now for salsa.

10. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

I'm with the girls too. Shorts for modesty and fake tan if you need perfecting!

11. desconocida

desconocida Descarga

Might be too late now but how about fishnets? I always wore dance fishnets (the really thick ones in tan) when I didn't want to feel naked but thought tights wouldn't look right with a certain outfit.

12. kerry.alder

kerry.alder Sonero

That sounds like a very good idea, after all, when dressing up for salsa, we want to look hot and fishnets can help with that goal. Would the tan fishnets be nearly invisible though, especially if the lighting conditions on the dance floor are not optimal? Have you ever tried black fishnets or other more colorful fishnets to liven up your outfit with a splash of color on your legs?

13. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

If I feel the need to cover my legs in an outfit then I've worn fishnets plenty. Done black, tan and brown. They are a very good option cos flattering whilst not making you too hot.

14. desconocida

desconocida Descarga

I've worn tan, black and white before and the reason I like tan is because they are almost invisible, which goes with outfits where wearing actual tights might not look right (I haven't seen your dress and can hardly judge but most of the time I think tights look a little strange worn with little black dresses that are made of rather thin fabric - yours sounded like that kind, especially with the spaghetti straps). Black fishnets can look absolutely beautiful but can also make you feel overdressed and a little ... well, like that kind of over-40 salsa beginner who shows up to the club with a red asymmetric ruffled dress, if you know what I mean :rolleyes:
    So it all depends on the rest of the outfit, I guess :)

15. kerry.alder

kerry.alder Sonero

I have never worn tights with any of my dance outfits before. I either go with skin tone pantyhose, glossy opaque pantyhose or sheer black ones. It just looks nice and what girl doesn't want to look hot out there on the dance floor? ;) Of course, there are the many casual places I go where i can just wear jeans or a jean skirt and bare legs.

I am curious, do you have many different outfits for salsa or do you rotate/mix and match between 3 or 4 outfits?

16. kerry.alder

kerry.alder Sonero

I'm curious, have you ever gone with the really bright colour (red, purple, pink) before? ........ What colour dress did you match with that?

17. desconocida

desconocida Descarga

Now I'm sort of confused, coz in my mind "tights" and "pantyhose" are basically the same (I was just more familiar with the word "tights") :D
    I must admit your question is hard to answer now that I hardly go out in my local salsa scene and only occasionly have the chance to attend a congress party (I have a two year old at home :nope: ) - thus there's really no need for plethora of outfits. But I used to have a lot three or four years back, I rather felt unconfortable wearing the same outfit more that 1 time a month and I went out A LOT. So, you do the math :eek:

18. SalsaGipsy

SalsaGipsy Capitán Del Estilo

I believe this is a difference between American and British English. In American English <40 den is called pantyhose and >=40 is called tights. In British English both are called tights.

19. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

I don't wear tights/hose as I rarely wear a dress or skirt for dancing, but I've seen other girls do it - bright colour matched up with a little black dress and a pair of boots. I like the look :)

20. desconocida

desconocida Descarga

Aaaaahh! Ok, thanks a lot for shedding some light on this! :D That explains why I haven't heard or read "pantyhose" before even though I stick to AE most of the time - I just don't do anything under 40 den :rolleyes: