Rueda does my head in!

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Salsalona, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Salsalona

Salsalona Son Montuno

I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that is addicted to salsa but can't stand doing rueda? I just find it so folk dance-ish. We do a lot of rueda in our classes.

Anyway, was just curious. :p

2. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

I enjoy rueda, but I'm not interested in taking it too seriously. My problem with it is that I don't know enough moves so get lost when the moves are called. But that's part of the fun.

3. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

I love dancing folky!

I love the blur of a rueda where I have no clue what's going on and lots of girls who I could dance right off the floor in slot style are kind enough to back-lead me through lots of weird stuff while I have almost no clue what's going on!

4. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

Never done it. Can't say I hate it, but I don't enjoy watching it and find it pretty boring. Guess I'm not the folksy type. But whatever floats your boat..

5. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

I think it's fun but I rarely get the chance to take classes in it, and I don't know very many moves yet.

6. Salsalona

Salsalona Son Montuno

so is back leading when a woman leads?

7. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

Yes - or more accurately, it's when the follower leads. And it's very bad and naughty. And if you do it you are bad and wrong. But in Rueda, because I haven't a clue, it also makes me very grateful. Actually in my (brief) experience, the girls who back-led me around the moves fell very quickly back into the following role when I started to get the hang of it. So they were helpful rather than ignorant.

I usually oppose back-leading but in the heat of a rueda there is no time for me to have another go and nail the move... so it's sometimes needed!

8. Big10

Big10 Shine Officer

What's wrong with folk dances? :p

I'm an instructor for a couple of Salsa classes each week, and I've taught some Rueda to upper level students. I'm a big fan of Rueda, and most of the students liked it -- but a couple of them "politely" told me that they didn't like Rueda very much. So, I do understand where you're coming from. Some people have trouble with the timing and the changes of direction. Also, I think some leaders don't like giving up so much control over the dance choreography for an entire song.

I think it makes a big difference after you've built up a halfway decent vocabulary of moves and have a good caller. Even with just about 10-12 moves, there can be a lot of variety and creativity in a Rueda. It also makes a big difference if everybody is at a good skill/technique level with their Salsa dancing. A Rueda can really drag even when just one or two people are behind the curve.

9. spotcat

spotcat Banned

Salsa was once a folk dance.

In fact they were all just folk dances.

10. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

I'm one of the folk. I dance salsa. Therefore salsa is a folk dance.

11. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

I've always thought of Rueda as salsa's form of Country Line Dancing or doing the Electric Slide. That being said, I think rueda is a great learning tool to introduce people to salsa. I say this because it structurizes the material and provides you with the framework for repetition. It can also help beginners with the fear factor since, by default, you get to dance with everyone.

12. himji

himji Sonero

I had my first lesson(s) of Rueada this week. I enjoyed it but kept getting some of the calls mixed up lol. The first lesson was really good but on the second we had a massive cirlce which I don't think was the best of ideas

13. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

:lol:

Rueda's fun - I haven't done it since I moved to Tokyo since I don't know the Cuban style people here well, and they use different calls from ones I know from Edinburgh, but I always enjoyed dancing in a rueda - much better than dancing next to one (which can be a really annoying experience :roll:).

But I went to rueda classes to learn rueda, not as part of salsa (one-on-one dancing) classes. I'd much rather have the two completely separate, so I feel for you salsalona.

14. AndrewS

AndrewS Shine Officer

I love watching it when it's done well.

I've done a few classes in it and have suffered with the usual problems - not hearing the call properly, forgetting what the move is when I have heard the name correctly, doing some moves slot-style and having the girl in the wrong position because of that.

15. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

I was going to ask the same question. I don't know much about cypriot folk dances unless they are like greek or turkish folk dances which means the music might be similar to below.
    I just love Bulgarian folk music, especially the style with the tiny bag pipe that sounds like an Australian didgeridoo (Sp.?) when its accompanied by the small flute. I also like a Serbian band that does a gypsy brass - jazz fusion style music, they play trumpets as if they were a piano and tubas as if they were congas. When I have told Bulgarians and Serbians that their music is totally awesome, they seem embarassed and keep wanting me to believe that they are cool because they like hip-hop. Yikes.

I like rueda a lot but I do see many leaders who have huge problems with it. As I usually call ruedas I have to make a point to have others call occasionally so that I can stay sharp as a non-calling lead. Many leads who struggle with rueda are not 100% sure of which count they are on within the phrase at any given moment. The funny thing is that people who actually count can have a much harder time, whereas people who "intrinsically" know where they are within the phrase can always fake it even if they don't know the move.

In many ruedas nowadays the lead/follow roles are not strictly defined as male/female. IME, women like rueda better than men, both as lead and as follow, so all girl ruedas or many girl ruedas are quite common.

16. vancouverguy

vancouverguy Sonero

One of the studios locally does Rueda every weekend. You REALLY need a good caller and remember the moves.

One of them is stomping your foot to the inside of the circle. Unfortunately if they are a little late in calling it, and I'm repeating the previous move instead, I can get my foot right there where the lady is going to stomp. :eek:

17. azzey

azzey El Sabroso de Conguero

18. Salsalona

Salsalona Son Montuno

ooops that sounds like what I do sometimes in class (not with rueda, only when we're learning certain LA moves)! that must make me very bad and wrong and ignorant!!! but I don't do it when I'm out social dancing. I thought I was helping the leader! Well at least I think that's what I'm doing. It's like, I do my steps even though I can feel he's not really doing the right steps, but I keep on doing mine, cos then I think if I'm doing the right steps then he might realise and catch up... bla bla you get my drift. :rolleyes:

19. GForce85

GForce85 Rhythm Deputy

Don't feel too bad. It's common for beginner followers who don't know any better to backlead in an attempt to help their partners. We know you all mean well, but it's just that it's more helpful for a lead to see the cause and effect (which means you should follow what you feel, as opposed to what you know is supposed to happen). He's far more likely to fix his signals if he sees that what he's doing is not producing the desired outcome.

20. Salsalona

Salsalona Son Montuno

yeah I think you've put it into words for me! I think also I don't like having to move around so much, I prefer the back and forward ness of LA style as you kind of know where you're supposed to be, this is prob easier for a beginner like myself! I also feel like I'm just being thrown around like a piece of meat by various men during rueda. I find that many of them are so desperate to get the move right that they don't have much consideration for the follower and you end up all over the place! They also don't keep the circle small!!

Rant over! Thanks for listening! :) :)