Reviews on the DC Salsa Congress?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by naturallove, Aug 18, 2008.

1. naturallove

naturallove Sonero

I didn't get to go this year, but how was it? Any outstanding performances? Great social dancing? Fabulous workshops? Do tell!
  2. irishgirl

irishgirl Rhythm Deputy

I went Friday and Saturday. I didn't do any workshops, i slept all day instead.

I had a really good time, my only major gripe was that the professionals hid. I had great intentions to stalk them all and I only got Al Liquid Silver! . Which was an absolutely amazing dance :)

Social dancing was good too but I kept on losing people but I had some great dances and made some new friends!

Hotel location was really good, walking distances to shops and restaurants so you didn't get stuck having to eat expensive hotel food.
  3. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

Pics of this event are up on Nuevotec :)
  4. Salsamakossa

Salsamakossa Shine Officer

Actually, many clips are already appearing on youtube, but it's the workshops I am interested in.. lol.
  5. Beto

Beto Tumbao

Give me some time and I'll upload what I have as I hit a few of them this past weekend. :D
  6. allantab

allantab Son

Hey Beto, nice meeting you at the event (saw Irishgirl as well). I had a lot of fun at the congress, and I think it was very well received. The hotel main ballroom was smaller than previous years, but the location was more convenient from a restaurant and shopping standpoint (plus there were multiple ballrooms where Shaka Brown brought several DJs for different styles of music). In addition to performers from DC, VA, NY, NJ, and PA, Shaka and staff had Al and Karla Espinoza, Leon Rose and Noemie Millon, and Junior and Emily.

Here are some of stills (Beto is the 1st one)

Kim, Michelle, Ismael, Tessa, and Beto
    [​IMG]

Leon, Noemi, Jareau, Danielle, Evaniz, Eddie, Leticia, and Nelson
    [​IMG]

Juan "Tato" Paredes and Noemi Millon
    [​IMG]

Juan "Tato" Paredes and Ramaris German
    [​IMG]

Leon Rose and Noemie Millon with Jonte
    [​IMG]

Mario "Junior" Alabi and Emily Alabi
    [​IMG]

Shaka Brown
    [​IMG]
  7. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

Allan, you guys do a great job. You even have stuff up before IMambo and it was their event! One thing though ... this is not Noemie ... this is Ramaris German from Clavekazi

[​IMG]

Shaka Brown and Ramaris German
    [​IMG]
  8. allantab

allantab Son

Hi AguaDulce. Thanks for the correction. I pasted the wrong line from the website. Yes, I know Ramaris, she's very cool.

Here's some other videos with Ramaris.

Danny and Ramaris interview, DC 2006
    [​IMG]

Ramaris and Onda Latina, 2005
    [​IMG]
  9. Beto

Beto Tumbao

Haven't posted workshop stuff yet but I did just upload Junior & Emily's routines from Saturday and Sunday night. Sitting in the front row center has its advantages. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Bodymovin
  10. la_gringa

la_gringa Tumbao

thanks for posting those.

i keep waiting to see something from that couple that i like, but it hasn't happened yet. you could train monkeys to do spins like that, and their shines are atrocious - i have seen better body movement, better choreography, better footwork and better musicality from student teams in church basements here in new york.

on the plus side, her grooming and presentation is top notch. so kudos on the tight bun, nice costumes and face paint, but.... the other stuff needs work.
  11. naturallove

naturallove Sonero

Why don't you tell us what you REALLY think?? ;) I have seen Junior and Emily in person, and I've actually found their footwork classes to be very good, both in terms of teaching and musicality. I also think their performances do have quite a bit of spinning and I'd like to see more of the other stuff, though I do still think they're very talented.
  12. vin

vin Sonero

I'll chime in

While I don't particularly like what they do, I agree they are extremely talented. I probably wouldn't dance like that if I was able to but it would be nice to have that option.

Why such venom for them?
  13. Brownskin818

Brownskin818 Shine Officer

i [​IMG]them!! their execution is FIRE and their energy is contagious. their routines always keep me on my toes. mind you sometimes that on-edge-ness comes from fast/slow variances that dont always fall well (race to 8, readjust to 10, race to 18, settle in to 20, etc) i still appreciate it for how it keeps my attention. at the same time, ill agree that their shines could be more. but i think they tackle musicality pretty well! they hit many of the accents with specific partnerwork as opposed to generic poses that many couples over use.

and yes, emily is put together very well!! i love how she can light it up on stage, yet not be over-the-top (like many pros) when she social dances.