Po faced follows

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by himji, Dec 3, 2008.

1. himji

himji Sonero

I went to a new club last night and had a blast. The only slight annoyance was some particularly po faced follows who really seemed un-interested in dancing with anybody other than the instructors. In fact they kept bugging them for dances as soon as they saw they were free giving them little time to ask some of the other girls for a dance. Is that common? Because it's the first place I've ever seen this.

By the way, some great tips on her that have really improved my dancing, it's amazing how the dance can be 200% better by just smiling and getting a beautiful smile back :)
  2. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

I know those girls! Or some just like them. Yeah, you get them anywhere there are superstars.
  3. himji

himji Sonero

Woohoo, I'm part of the big salsa community now, seen them all :)

All that said, I've got to say, there was some absolutely lovely girls in Hendon last night :) Very, very friendly and some knockout smiles that I just wanted to bottle up and sell on the internet
  4. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

These are the women who are trying to make the statement: Oh I am so good for this ****, but I **** you not my dear, they end up having the least dances, and the most annoyance if not a tingeling sensation of annoyance right around their ego.

Stick to those who smile, because even if you err with them, they wont act like its a big deal and might as well give you a hint or two.

We should all work together to make salsa a po free community.
  5. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

Don't worry about the po faced people. They are usually the ones standing in the 'select' corner whilst the rest of us have all the fun :D
  6. himji

himji Sonero

As it goes, they did have thier own little select corner, I tried to break into it but there seemed to be a barrier of ice :p

Oh, got another particular girl from antother class. Not neccessarily po faced but she likes to lead as she follows. took me a few times to get her and I'll only dance with her in class (when I have to) but she's moving MY hands all over the place and just walking through all the moves, I like to just switch off with her and have a proper dance with the next girl. Have we a name for them? I like to make lists of ones to avoid :lol:
  7. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

po faced ?? I have never heard this expression before. Is this a Brit thing or am I really that much out of it ? Can someone post a pic of a po facial expression ?
  8. sweavo

I actually have been to the kingdom of Po. It's an icy place, and they must have had problems with werewolves or something because it's hard to get any hospitality there. I'm good/showy enough that in some clubs on some nights I am the white-shoed superstar (my shoes are off-white actually and rather beaten up now). Anyhow. Delegations from Po come to my town from time to time and if the pickings are poor, I am temporarily Po-moted into their ranks. The first time this happened I thought I had been given citizenship and the right to work, make smalltalk etc. but every night your balance sheet is wiped clean -- you can't work up credits. If there are higher-ranking members of the salsocracy present, you go down the leaderboard faster than playing Mario Kart holding the controller upside-down.

So, there's no harm in dancing with the people of Po, but you must be familiar with their customs if you're to avoid embarrassment.

I know her too! If I can't persuade her to follow, I'll just dance really simply and chat to her about her day / the club / whatever, and try to avoid damage to limbs until the song ends.

To bailar y tocar yeah, it's a brit thing http:// www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pof1.htm the merriam-webster entry doesn't seem right to me. The po-face is more disapproving or humorless than solemn. And being humorless is one of the few things a Brit doesn't forgive...
  9. himji

himji Sonero

To add a little bit more from it. It's the look of ok I'VE agreed to dance with you, now you better make sure you impress me and make this worth the time I would have otherwise spent up the instructors a**e
  10. spotcat

spotcat Banned

An example of "Po-faced" for those who might be confused by the term.

[​IMG]
  11. bailar y tocar

Aha,
    I don't think there is a two letter equivalent in US English. Pouting has some of the characteristics, scowling some of the others, but how would one describe turning up your nose w/o having to say: turning-up-your-nose.

I hereby place "po faced" in nomination for use in US English.

Are there any other practical expressions that I should be aware of ?
  12. himji

himji Sonero

How about ignorant Yank?

(joke really, sorry just couldn't help it)
  13. sweavo

ADVISORY: READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED

When I visited the US for a few months, I became aware of how we brits surf our language, creating new expressions on the fly, and delighting in in jokes and using crude language where there are perfectly reasonable terms already.

We seem to have continued the 1920's trend of things being the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas, etc, but mostly we say the dog's b*ll*cks or the mutt's nuts. You have to be careful though because "that's the b*ll*cks" means that's really good, whereas "that's b*ll*cks" means it's rubbish.

We have dozens of words for toilet functions and parts too, which was most amusing when I was at a Canadian wedding and one of the (Brit) kids announced he needed a weewee, much to the confusion of the (Canuck) adults.

Also being drunk can be described using a variety of terms: I got lashed / pissed / hammered / spannered / wasted / sloshed at the weekend.

Also I think the "fortnight" is underused in the US (fortnight = two weeks)

And you guys keep calling people booger (we say bogey) instead of bugger (which is an arse bandit, an uphill gardener, a friend of dorothy, etc)

We have the advantage that there are only about 5 conversations you can have in Britain, so we can use pretty much any words and it just adds flavour to what everyone knew you were going to say anyway.
  14. agarcia97

agarcia97 Sonero

hahaha...thats awesome.
  15. witchphd

witchphd Son Montuno

I saw the title for this thread and immediately got hungry for a Po Boy sandwich.
  16. himji

himji Sonero

Ohh, here's a colloqualism that I'm still trying to get my head around after 34 years in this fine country;

Apart from in ther South East of England (where everything is good and proper); Lunch is Dinner and Dinner is Tea
  17. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

Early Birds arent they?
  18. sweavo

Except for High Tea of course, which involves cucumber sandwiches in the afternoon.

Also try to order a bread roll in two places more than 50 miles apart and you'll struggle to get the same thing: one county's bun is another's cob, bap, barm, breadcake, stottie, muffin, teacake ... and the same word means different things in different counties so they may understand you perfectly well and give you something completely inappropriate for fashioning a chip butty.

[​IMG]
    A chip butty, yesterday. Nyom nyom nyom.
  19. bailar y tocar

Along the same lines:
    Danish [pastry] is not called that in Denmark
    Wiener [sausage] is not called that in Vienna
    Hamburger [meat] is not called that in Hamburg (I am not totally sure about this)
    Berliner [pastry] is not called that in Berlin
    Amerikaner [pastry] is not called that anywhere outside Cologne

OTOH:
    Pilsner is always Pilsner even if its not brewed in Pilsen, although only the brands from Pilsen and environs rate in my book, the others are po' boy imitations.
  20. himji

himji Sonero

I don;t know confuses the hell out of me when they say they are going for dinner at 12.30pm or for tea and don't drink any tea.

High tea of course is very acceptable and it is of course required practice to be sipping Early Grey and Cucumber Sandwiches, maybe with a slice of cream cake on the lawn whist the servants tend to your spruces