Paying an "International" to dance with them :S

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Jag75, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Jag75

Jag75 Rhythm Deputy

Hi,

In an upcoming salsa event there's going to be a system whereby you can pay to dance with an Internationally recognised dancer, with that money going to charity.

Now, I don't have a problem with the charity bit - despite not having huge amounts of money after paying bills etc I still give whenever I can - what I do have a problem with is the "privilege" of dancing with an Elite overseas dancer being paid for. That I adamantly disagree with and to me is not what salsa is *at all* about.

I believe there are other avenues for raising money for charity. The idea of paying someone for the privilege of dancing with them is akin to prostitution.

Maybe I'm making too much of it. What are your thoughts?

James
  2. Aris

Aris Changui

Dude, you're way to sensitive about this. This is for charity. I don't see anything wrong with it. If you don't want to pay for a dance, then don't. It's that simple. If the person is famous enough, there will be other people more than happy to pay to dance with him or her.

edit: Sorry. No offense meant. I was just being a bit blunt.
  3. acpjr

acpjr Tumbao

The other perspective is that the privilage is in giving to the charity, not the opportunity to dance.

If you are so against "paying" for dances (which is what you are essentially doing whenever you pay a cover fee at a club), then just throw some change at a charity and dance with whoever will accept your invitations.
  4. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

i can see where youre coming from, but hopefully the international dancer would have been happy to dance with everyone anyway. so it's just a fun way to raise money.

i had this idea myself a long time ago, but wanted to have several famous dancers, and have people buy monopoly money, and safety-pin it onto the dancer of their choice. at the end, the dancer with most money pinned to them chooses which charity gets all the cash. i actually thought of it as a way of getting rid of elitism, making the 'greats' realise non-famous dancers can be fun too and the newbies get over their fear of asking someone well-known to dance.
  5. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

Sounds like one of those auctions when they auction off a dinner with a man/woman for charity. No one seems to get upset about those, since it's assumed that there is no element of "selling out". It's just a symbolic gesture to make donating money mroe enjoyable for everyone.
  6. Jag75

Jag75 Rhythm Deputy

Fair enough responses, thanks for the feedback :)

Ok so I think I may have overreacted - it's only that I'd like to be able to dance with anyone just by asking and having them say yes or no at their discretion. If kinda feels strange paying someone to dance although true the money isn't going into their wallets.

I'd prefer a voluntary donation system outside of the dancing - I would always gladly give money to charity then. Ultimately however you guys are right - it is for the charity and yeah it would be fun!
  7. terence

terence Maestro 'Timbalero' Puente

You may be surprised to know, but this form has being going on in a Prof. way for many many yrs ( its called Taxi dancing ). the Roseland ballroom in NYC encouraged it, as it provided dancers for all the single ladies who attended ( last time i heard $ 5 a dance )

It STILL goes on in NY. there is a facility that employs profs to do just that... dance.. no teaching( teacher gets $25 per hr . )
  8. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

That is SUCH a good idea. You should go for it some time.
  9. jaime jesus

jaime jesus Changui

Raising money for Charity...

Hi Son Montuno,

Jaime Jesus here from the Sydney Salsa Congress... It is our event that is doing dance for charity thing and we really hope people take it on board as a positive thing...

last year we ran a raffle and managed to raise over $8000 for the Breast Cancer foundation and we personally donated another $2000 making it total of over $10,000 for charity...

The reason why we are doing the dance for charity this year is actaully to help all those people that are too shy or scared of being rejected by the professionals to get a dance and not be worried about being shy or being rejected.

Then ofcourse it also helps to raise money for charity which is something we consider to be very very important as its easy sometimes to forget all those who need more than we do...

Infact i really hope other congresses around the world hear about this and try it out, or atleast run something as part of their congress that will raise money for charity as we as organizers are in a position that we can do that and influence others to do aswell...

Anyway, I hope that helps ... Look forward to seeing you all at the Sydney Salsa Congress in 2009... www.sydneysalsacongress.com

Cheers

Jaime Jesus
  10. Jambo

Jambo El Sabroso de Conguero

I think it's a great idea :D
  11. Jambo

Jambo El Sabroso de Conguero

That's a really cool idea!! But instead of pinning the money on their clothes (they may not be happy if they have their best togs on) make 'em wear a garter (men and women) to hold the money in :lol:
  12. devane

devane Son Montuno

Nah, it just a thing to raise money for charity......like kisses for a pound.

But on the other hand I recently downloaded "Dance Brittiana" (A BBC documentary). In the olden days in the dancehalls they had people you could pay to dance with. There were some issues with it apparently.
  13. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

i think those were overly-perfumed young ladies who men could do a stepless bachata with...:eek::p
  14. terence

terence Maestro 'Timbalero' Puente

you apparently didnt read my post ( but that is States side ) .

There are prof. dancers here who are for " hire ". There was an article in one of the dailys quite recently .
  15. devane

devane Son Montuno

Bachata?
    I would have to recheck what year (pre-Elvis/Beatles) they were talking about but I think it was Waltz was the dance in question. You probably would be deported for dancing bachata.
  16. devane

devane Son Montuno

Definitely a Brit thing too as the documentary of about England only.
    I'll go and look for the clip and post a bit of the audio.
  17. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

haha, "stepless bachata" - I'm going to have to incorporate that metaphor into more posts :)
  18. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise_ship_dance_host
    http://www.toseawithz.com/dance_hosts.htm

Still doesn't look like the kind of thing a reputable gentleman would stoop to though :)
  19. devane

devane Son Montuno

Found it.
    It was in the first 6 mins of part 1

Hammersmith Palais

[​IMG]

Audio clips...will play automatically after a few seconds.

zshare.net/audio/1934031066ff9fa5/

zshare.net/audio/19340390145ca1b6/

20. noobster

noobster Shine Officer

I remember using the metaphor 'horizontal mambo' long before I had any idea what sort of lascivious dance a 'mambo' was.