On2 London

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by LondonMambo, Oct 4, 2008.

1. LondonMambo

LondonMambo Changui

Hi,

I'm new so forgive me if this post is in the wrong section.

Would anyone be able to direct me to where I could go and learn on2/New york style salsa in London? Also are there any socials that you may recommend?

2. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

Hey there. Welcome to SF! :)

If you want course/studio tuition then the first place I'd check out is the Latin Dance Academy. Though I've only had one lesson so far (On1) it has been an excellent experience, especially coming from drop-ins and noticing the lack of distractions etc. They do Mambo level 1 and 2 courses so get in touch and find out which level would be best for you.

latindanceacademy.co.uk

I've heard Joe Davids also does an On2 class but I'm not sure where. Someone might be able to help you with that. From what I've seen he's also very good teacher. As a matter of fact I'm still waiting for my body to catch up so that I can do a nice move he taught when I tried his class. Almost there....almost.

latincollectiveuk.com

They are the two that spring to mind but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

3. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

i really rate irene miguel's teaching, also studio-based - google danzalifestyle or mambolifestyle

'T' gives classes based on eddie torres' shines, but you have to email him to get permission to join, which i heartily dislike the idea of.

for socials - SOS on sundays near russell square tube has a high percentage of on2 dancers and music, and gets you home to bed at a reasonable hour for work on mondays (in case you have a day job)

mambocity, based in ealing, have occasional large events with a high on2 proportion

when i was in london (9 months ago) there werent so many specific socials, but a higher percentage of on2 dancers at the 'dancers' venues....eg, bar salsa specifically on monday and wednesday nights...

good luck with it. and if any instructor tells you on2 is somehow 'better' or 'more with the music' than another beat, please slap em upside the head with a wet kipper from me... ;)

4. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

I was getting ready to write a "you, madam, are an idiot!" post then I noticed you said "rate" not "hate".

I, madam, am an idiot!

5. sweavo

yeah. It shouldn't need explaining, it should be obvious </troll>

6. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

Sweavo! :p
    img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/4/3/22/f_258Trollsprm_2ccc2b2.jpg

7. sweavo

aargh! my eyes!

8. AndrewD

AndrewD Shine Officer

The only other one I can think of is Manhattan Mambo w . w . w .manhattanmambo.co.uk/5.html

Great instructors (Jason and Amanda).

I think they do a social once a month.

9. LondonMambo

LondonMambo Changui

Thanks guys that really helped. I look forward to checking them all out!

I've also added them to my facebook group. Check it out if you want. The link is in my signature.

10. TrulyMadlyAmanda

:spam:???

sorry, i'm confused....your OP gave the impression that you didnt know anything about the on2 scene in london, but your facebook ID says you're promoting on2/NY style in london...? did i get the wrong end of the stick somewhere? :confused:

11. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

Anyone visiting the thread will still get the info they need so no harm done imho. ;)

12. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

Lol you should have just said 'can anyone help me build my facebook page' :)

13. LondonMambo

LondonMambo Changui

I'm sorry if I have caused any misunderstanding.

I am just gathering as much info as I can on the on2 scene in London and your posts helped me and also confirmed some of the places I knew.

My facebook group is just a community of on2 dancers who would like to know where they can learn/dance that particular style. I apologise if it's spam, that wasn't my intent.

14. TrulyMadlyAmanda

i wouldnt worry about it - i'm the pot calling the kettle black! ;):)