NY Salsa Congress Reviews

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by naturallove, Sep 1, 2008.

1. naturallove

naturallove Sonero

I wasn't there, so I'm living vicariously though the other sf'ers. How was the social dancing? Any good workshops or performances?

2. GRx

GRx Sonero

Had a great time. Best routines for me were BailoSociety, Yamulee, Carmen Lorentz (sp?), Sabor Latino, those kids from Puerto Rico, Mykael Fonts, Juan Matos. Competition was fun to watch also.

All the workshops I attended were good. I wish they had more advanced ones, but they were still informative nonetheless.

Only improvement can be the lineup for the shows. What a mess that was.

Thanks NYC for a great time.

3. Big10

Big10 Shine Officer

I don't understand that part of your comment. :confused: Do you mean that there were too many performances overall, or perhaps too many groups that weren't of good quality?

4. GRx

GRx Sonero

Sorry my internet english is terrible. I meant lining up to get into the ballroom to watch the shows. It was poorly organized. They should follow the Canada Salsa Congress when it comes to VIP seating.

Only Friday afternoon had very poor performances in my opinion, save for a few.

5. naturallove

naturallove Sonero

I love love Yamulee! Easily one of my fave performance group. Sharp, clean performances, yet still with sabor and soul. I really liked Karel Flores' ladies styling workshop at the NC Salsa congress. She can really move! I'm surprised that there weren't many advanced workshops at the Congress. I would think that would be the one place were you'd be sure to find them..

6. irishgirl

irishgirl Rhythm Deputy

I had a really great tiem apart from the part where they put glue on the stage (i think it was rosin ...) on Friday night and we did tech on a glass skating rink and then for the 6pm show it was like dancing on glue. I can spin on concrete and I couldn't spin on this!

My only other major gripe was charging 5 bucks for bottles of water instead of letting us bring it in or supplying some, that was ridiculous.

Other than that i had an amazing time and some phenomenal dances!

7. la_gringa

la_gringa Tumbao

the water cost caused a LOT of agita in my circles, i'll tell you that.

8. GRx

GRx Sonero

Yamulee was awesome. I wish they performed more than once. One thing I really liked about them is that they can do all those crazy turn patterns and make it look clean and effortless. BaileSociety was the same. Many of the other groups out there can do the complicated turn patterns also, but they look labored and messy in my humble opinion. That's what made Yamulee and BaSo stand out.

As for water, other congress I have been to offered free water. I agree $5 is a bit steep.

9. naturallove

naturallove Sonero

Maybe this is a piece of constructive criticism that can be passed on to Choco? Just a thought.

10. irishgirl

irishgirl Rhythm Deputy

definitely.....last year it was fine, they didn't supply it as far as i remember but they were cool about bringing it in...