New Footwear

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by himji, Dec 3, 2008.

1. himji

himji Sonero

2. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

Dont know about them but....
    What's your size?

3. himji

himji Sonero

About a UK8 (US10 I think). I especially like the blocky soles, great for short people like me :p

4. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

They're generally well thought of round these parts. I've never tried them personally -- I'm used to jazz shoes now so anything more than 2mm from the floor feels like stilts :)

5. himji

himji Sonero

Oh, I need all the high boost I can get.

6. azzey

azzey El Sabroso de Conguero

Blochs are great to start out with as they get you to dance on the balls of your feet and have a split sole. They're also very recognisable/well known by Salsa people (at least in the UK), so if you go to a club dancers will immediately recognise you are another dancer too.

7. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

I wear a similar Bloch shoe to class and practice, and they've saved my feet from a lot of pain. Do a lot of people wear them to clubs? I thought they were too casual for that.

8. himji

himji Sonero

Mainly for lesson / free dance nights. I orginally got myself a pair of nice shoes but am finding they're getting a bit battered hence the more casual pair for general dance wear

9. PielCanela

PielCanela Sabor Ambassador

Perfect for salsa?? the horse hoofs?? I disagree...

these are perfect for salsa(get white/brown too :))
    http://www.dancewell.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32&products_id=127

those bulky shoes take away the whole motion of the foot and toes, forget about doing pachanga shines, or anything else that does not require a heavy landing.
    To be fair this shoes are probably good for training as they sure protect your feet, but after using jazz shoes for a few months my feet got stronger and now they can handle the stress. So while I think they have a place in your collection of dance shoes I think you should really give jazz shoes a try if you havent, dancing on them is whole new world

10. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

Finally, some common sense. I can't imagine doing any kind of dancing in those clunky things.

11. chrisk

chrisk Super Moderator Staff Member

12. himji

himji Sonero

Hmm, while she did show me some of the lower profile type, i liked these because of the extra height they give me. I'm not the shortest of people but at just under 5'7 alot of girls in heels are taller than me.

Interesting about the arches comment oncent, might want to rethink them. I'm going to show them to a particular teacher I go to next Sunday, I think she has a good eye for this sort of thing and I trust her judgement.

But f anybody else has worn these or similar...

13. chrisk

chrisk Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm just 5'6" tall, but going by my experience, I've never regretted wearing my low profile sneakers. I might have to adapt some moves for taller ladies but except for that dancing with them is the same. We've also talked about Dancing with tall women before, so you might want to take a look at that thread. :)

14. himji

himji Sonero

Thanks, nice reading :)

I think the hieght thing gives me a bit more confidence too which is quite important but then I'm pretty confident already. Confused now, might go back to the shop and get the lower profile ones....

15. Tom

Tom Son Montuno

Blochs vs Jazz shoes

I've got hallux limitus - my big toe joint has packed up - and Blochs are perfect, even though they are far from elegant, because they don't flex under that joint.

Round here Blochs are mainly worn by intermediate level dancers: the elite, and those who think they are elite, wear thin jazz shoes. (The real poseurs wear white ones.) Sadly I can't wear them because the thin soles would be agony.

Blochs are extremely hard-wearing.

16. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

it's a control versus comfort trade off. I've tried the jazz shoes (split or full sole) and they are basically like having a pair of socks on. I love the control!!! although I empathize with your need for more comfort. On the flip side, is the other extreme with the fancy italian leather shoes with suede bottoms. They have far less control, but are elegant and comfortable (generally, still wearing them in). The trade off here for me is the heel. I usually wear a pair of ballo shoes, which have a softer rubberish heel, that not only can grip when you need it, but it also has "give" which the italian pair doesn't since they are basically a wood heel, with suede slapped on.

I've never tried the dance sneaker, since it looks like it is not only, ugly, but it is very high off the floor, and worst of all, it looks like you don't have as much control. Did I mention that they are ugly as all sin? :p

17. azzey

Himji - When you start out you need shoes that are comfortable and will support your feet in taking proper steps, transfering your weight and dancing mostly using the ball (front) of your foot.

Once you are practiced you will probably change shoes over time to give you more or less grip depending on your requirements. e.g. more stability of footwork, turning/spinning etc vs your environment (club, class).

The flat low-profile trainers that some of us wear would not necessarily be the best thing for a beginner learning to dance as you might end up dancing flat footed, whereas our bodies already know to dance on the correct parts of the foot.

I also dance Cuban style a lot and I can pretty much (get away with) wear any shoe that I want as long as they give me a balance of grip and smooth turning ability (too much grip may damage ankles, knees or muscles when turning or spinning over many years).

It also depends on the type of floors you will be dancing on and of course good technique in the basics is paramount.

Style comes last.

If you're going to go for a more low-profile trainer than Blochs a good compromise would be Jingas:
    jingashop.com/jinga_dance.asp

18. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

jingas look great, but I'm always suspect of their spinning ability...do they have too much grip? basically, if they hinder my ability to do triple spins, then I should probably look somewhere else. If I can comfortably do doubles, than maybe they would work. A lot of the patterns I'm doing now are very athletic and require me to have grip for a momentum change, and yet still have slip to comfortably transition into a double or triple spin (which i can't do in tempo).

This might be a Andy Roddick situation. No matter whether it's a frying pan or a tennis racket, hitting a tennis ball has more to do with your own ability, than the tool...tell that to all the people that use talc to spin. Still I don't want the shoe to hold me back. Advice?

anyone want to post a picture of the sole?

19. azzey

I agree but try dancing in these and say that..

[​IMG]