Nayibe "La Gitana"

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by groovetpt, Jul 4, 2011.

1. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

On June 11th I had the pleasure of performing with a new emerging singer on the Salsa scene from Cali, Colombia. Her name is Nayibe "La Gitana". We played a concert at the Lehman Center for the Performing Arts in the Bronx, opening up for El Gran Combo. I'm the trumpet player on the far left.

Here is the performance on youtube of "Insensible a Ti": www youtube.com/watch?v=FZgGWncjJMY&feature=email

Enjoy! I hope we hear more from Nayibe.

2. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

Very nice. Thank you for posting. I had no idea that you played for Conjunto Clasico, or is this a different band, as I can't spot Ramon Rodriguez? Anyway, Clasico's older hits (classics) form part of Cali's all time salsa favorites. :)

3. groovetpt

Thanks for checking it out, DJ Ara. No, this is not Conjunto Clasico -- it is Nayibe's own band.

Ray Castro of Clasico co-produced Nayibe's CD and she has performed with Clasico as a guest artist. Ramon Rodriguez has not performed regularly with Clasico for many years now, since he returned to Puerto Rico from New York -- but he does perform with them for special concerts and events, like a reunion with Tito Nieves. I actually did play with Clasico back in the 1980's, when Tito Nieves was still the singer. Yes, Conjunto Clasico has a long enduring relationship with Colombia, especially in Cali.

4. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

She has quite a voice! :applause:

The songs sounds like it should be the theme of a telenovela ;) The arrangement reminds me a bit of Marc Anthony stuff in certain spots.

5. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

Thanks for the update. Conjunto Clasico were here in Cali a couple of years ago, but I missed their concert. However, I don't recall wether Ramon Rodriguez came along or not.

As for Nayibe, she has a great voice and I who live in Cali and I am in the salsa business, don't recall hearing about her, but I may have just forgotten her name because there are just so many salsa musicians living in this city, and not just Colombians, but there are Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, etc.

Sometimes one gets the feeling that you can't swing a dead cat here without hitting a singer or a muscian, and if they all duck then you will probably end up hitting a salsa DJ.....LOL!

Great to know that you play with bands with high caliber. :)

Tito Nieves is a regular visitor to Cali and of course, this being Cali, he ends up singing mainly his Conjunto Clasico hits which have become eternal classics here in the world salsa capital.

I hope that you can make it here in the near future with one of the orchestras you play with (or just to visit).:)

6. groovetpt

Ha, so I hear! Cali is at the very top of my list of cities to visit!

Nayibe is a new artist so she is not very well known yet, and her initial exposure has been here in New York. I hope that changes because she is a very good singer and performer. Opening up a sold out concert for El Gran Combo should help.

7. groovetpt

timberamayor, the song, "Insensible a Ti" was a hit by the Mexican singer Alicia Villarreal about five years ago.

8. timberamayor

was it a theme song to a mexican telenovela?
    (pausing to search the internet)
    Wait I found it at wikipedia and indeed it was!

Do I have a good ear or what! (reveling in self-congratulation!):applause:
    Even as a salsa version I could detect the telltale aura of telenovela!
    Anyway, the salsa version was nice and like I said she has a great voice!

9. groovetpt

Great sleuth work, timberamayor! It is a very melodramatic song, for sure.

10. timberamayor

I can see why she has La Gitana as her nickname. She throws in some gitana ... don't know the word I'm looking for, not trills exactly but anyway you know that gitana stuff...you can hear bits of it in her singing style. Not to mention her headgear :)