My first time........

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by salsachinita, Dec 16, 2004.

1. salsachinita

salsachinita Nuevo Ritmo

We all know that first step into a salsa club as a newbie can be an intimidating experience.

Anyone feels like sharing theirs.....?
  2. youngsta

youngsta Changui

Sure. It was almost two months after I started taking classes. On Thursdays after class the instructor would meet students over at this little Peruvian restaurant called Irene's. I had a little confidence since I was always getting compliments in class. So we get there and I ask one of the women in my class to dance. We get out there and my mind goes completely blank...nothing! So I "lead" her through basics and a right turn for 4 1/2 minutes. After that my confidence was gone. And when I saw the instructors get out there with partners I about died! :lol:
  3. salsachinita

salsachinita Nuevo Ritmo

Here's mine: strictly speaking, I've been to Latino community functions where people dance (mostly cumbia), but the first time I've stepped into an actual club, I was just chillin' with the people from my class (I was the baby then, so people took good care of me :oops: ) & hangin' with the musicians.....until this well-known local salsero swooped me into a beautiful salsa romantica (it was the 80s :roll: ) & brought me into a different world.

He turned out to be my salsa mentor 8) . This was how the story began....
  4. Lockstep

Lockstep Changui

had a wonderful 'first time'. met a really nice spanish girl at my dance class, who basically knows how to dance salsa but is in the class to focus on her technique, and cuz i was about the only one to be able to communicate with her (her english not that good, but i speak spanish), we hung out and she's since become my semi-regular dance partner in that class

anyway, she dragged me to the club, and very patiently made me do the very very very basic moves we just did in class, always smiling and being happy, so that went a long way to getting me some confidence, especially cuz she kept coming back in between her dancing with the 'pros'

guess there really are some sweet girls out there! or maybe its the latin warm hearted spirit. anyway, great first time for me, and it got me totally hooked up with salsa, so that i can now actually dance with this girl at a decent level :)
  5. peachexploration

peachexploration Maestro 'Timbalero' Puente

I must say that the first time I step into a Salsa Club, it was just like being at home. The love, the energy and all I could do at that time was a basic step and a few turns. People were warm and friendly. Everyone had a wondeful time. :D

Lockstep, are you still around. How is going?
  6. la celia

la celia Son Montuno

How embarrassing! :oops: :oops: :oops: I was looking around me all the time,I felt an alien!Horrible!!!I didn't dance salsa...only merengue!
    I started to dance salsa,after a lot of lessons!!!I was a sort of uman trunk! :lol: I was really nervous!Especially when I had to dance with my teacher... :roll: :? :evil:
  7. salsadame

salsadame Changui

for me.. tat was last december! was dragged down to the club after my first lesson! in which i only knew the basic steps and the right turn. :oops:

was freakin out when my beginner classmate asked if we should try. later in the night.. two intermediate guys asked me for a dance and i had to regretfully turn them down. oh i so badly wanted to dance like the seasoned dancers then sigh. my first time.. :roll:
  8. El guru

El guru Changui

I cannot forget that day...

as some of you could have understood... I can't be included in the "shy people world" :eek:

As I like to dance al lot... as I went my first time in a salsodrome, I immediately begun to invite girls...
    One of them after 20 sec... stopped me "sorry, I'm tired.. better another time..."
    while we were going out from the dancefloor she saw a friend and told him..."pleease... dance with me.. I'm boring..." :? :?

I was really upset.. and sad...
    it was form me a strong impulse to continue end learn fastly...

3 years later.. I invited her again... (she was absent form the dancefloors for 2 years at least...) ... after 30 seconds.. she told..."wow.. you dane very well now..."
    in my mind pased my first time with her... I answered...
    "not thanks to your help... but thanks to her... and her... (pointing some girls...)"...
    I left her in the middle of the dancefloor and I invited one of the other 2 girls... ;) :lol: :D
  9. peachexploration

El Guru, I think it's just sad how people make it hard for beginning Salser@s. It's almost like people forget that they were once beginners. Anyways, I bet she dreams about dancing with you now. That's her loss. Maybe she will treat others differently in the future. :D Anyone else remember their first and would like to share? :)
  10. la celia

la celia Son Montuno

Oh my God! I can't believe it! :shock: :shock: You are impossible my dear! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:*
  11. peachexploration

12. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight Changui

Okay, I'll bite. It was very recent though, only about 6 weeks ago. I've only been learning salsa about 2 months!

There's a class on a monday night followed by a club night. A lot of people come later on for the club only. Anyway, myself and my darling stayed behind and we were on the side of the dancefloor, watching and dancing with each other -- just the basics we knew, mambo steps and the odd cross body lead -- and enjoying the mood.

This guy comes up when we're resting and asks me to dance. I say yes, but warn him I'm an "abject beginner" so up we get on the floor.

He's rude to me. Very rude and patronising. He tells me off when I can't follow his lead and teaches me this little turn combo he wants me to do.

I'm intimidated. I smile like a cretin and do what he tells me even though I don't like his attitude. I don't like the things he's saying to me.

I feel bad afterwards and we leave soon after, only staying to finish our drinks. I am upset. I wonder if he only asked me to take the mickey because of the way I look -- I'm a little fat and I don't look like a salsera.

Looking back his lead was poor and certainly not adapted to a beginner lady. Very "noisy" because he was bopping about so much that I couldn't pick out his cues to move.

I got one thing out of it though -- a determination to be the very very best dancer I can possibly be so that some day I will dance him and everyone like him right off the floor and blow their minds!

Oh, and I also get to live the rest of my life knowing that I'm a better person that would never treat anyone like that.

:D :D :D

A week or two ago I was in an "improvers" class, one step up from beginners, and he's there. I've done the moves faultlessly with a couple of other leads and we change partners and I end up with him. I can't follow him at all. I'm trying to concentrate on following rather than just stepping through the pattern being taught and he's not giving me any of the clear cues the other guys were so I'm just not following. I apologise and say "sorry, I'm losing the plot here a bit" and he cruelly says "yes, you are" and then the class finishes and the instructor says, "time for beginners to leave the floor." I say it's time for me to go and he says in a nasty voice, "yes it is." What a prat!

Anyway, now I know he's not that good and that I have the potential to be so much better, probably because of my attitude rather than any talent. He can't lead even when I know 100% he's trying to do moves I know how to follow! It feels sweet!
  13. peachexploration

Wow, MS_Sunlight. That guy obviously has issues big time. :evil: I'm glad your love for Salsa is still there. :D
  14. salsachinita

salsachinita Nuevo Ritmo

You've got a long & happy dancing life ahead, Ms_Sunlight..... keep up the attitude :D ! So many others would have either quit, or become bitter (we need neither in the scene!)......

Sadly I've experienced it too (mainly in the early days, or out of my home town where I'm unknown)......and all too often it's due to their own egos & insecurities, brought upon by my unfamiliarity to their style/timing/bad leads.
  15. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

You are absolutely right, Ms_Sunlight!

One thing I've noticed is that, leaders who tell the partner off and try to teach moves are not very good dancers. Good dancers can adjust their leads, either making them more clear or do simpler moves so that the follower can have a good, enjoyable dance. That's how they get good.
  16. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight Changui

A bad workman blames his tools ;) ;) ;)

What can I say? I'm trying very hard not to take offense at anyone, nor offend anyone. It's not worth it. Life is too short, and the salsa scene is too small. I love dancing and I love the music and I'm not going to let a bad attitude -- mine or anyone else's -- interfere with that!
  17. My first time was at a small salsa bar (gardenias) last October. I had been taking a very informal "street latin" classes ($5 per class!) for the past 2 months and was invited to this other instructor's class social at this bar. So, I went. It was a thursday night, and so not so many social dancers at all. There were only 2 social dancers there.

This guy (Flintstone) first asked me to dance and danced with me for at least 30 minutes straight. That was the first time that I was led into moves that I've never learnt and just danced without consciously thinking what I was doing - it was so liberating! And then.... El Pirate asked me to dance... now, he didn't twirl me around and went through endless pretzels like Flintstone, but he did a very close embrace side-to-side (almost like a blues, not even salsa!) with me. Man.. really feeling the music like that, i was really hooked!

So that's how it all began. I guess I've been really lucky to have all these experienced leads to patiently guide me through. Plus, I wasn't faced with much snobbery, gossips, politics, etc of the scene when I first started so I feel I was really blessed :D

Thanks Salsachinita for the creative nicknames btw! :)
  18. Rosa

Rosa Changui

Sorry to digress - and I will post my first experience of salsa clubs here soon - but my first impression on reading your post, Ms Sunlight, was to think, "What does a salsera look like?"

I have a friend who travels regularly to Cuba (she has a Cuban bf) and she says that it's a common sight there to see 'big' women getting up and dancing Salsa. And some of them aren't just slightly plump but enormous. But they love the music, the rhythm, they just give themselves up to it... and they're in hot demand as partners!

I also have a Colombian friend, from Bogotá, and she says exactly the same thing.

So if it's good enough for salseros in the cradle of Salsa, it should certainly be good enough for salseros elsewhere!

His loss, not yours.

Rosa :)
  19. peachexploration

Funny that you bring that back up, Rosa. You will find that there are quite of few people who are into Salsa for the "look" of the person rather than dancing itself. It's sad but true. I wouldn't call those people "dancers" at all. Some of the best Salseros I've danced with are big guys. Some of the supposedly hottest "so called" salseros can't dance at all. Can't even spell rhythm. Even if they are the most beautiful people on earth and can dance their socks off, it doesn't justify that kind of behavior by any means. Love your curves muchacha and keep on going. As you already know, they'll love your curves too, once they see you "dance" and quite a few will before then. ;) :banana:
  20. salsachinita

salsachinita Nuevo Ritmo

I can certainly testify to that 8) , PeachE.

My salsa mentor/ex was one of the most sought-after salseros (and there were less than a dozen in his league) for many years, until he left the scene. Another story (not directly related to dancing).

He bears resemblance to Tito Nieves, but can seduce any woman during a salsa.........there were such a long line to dance with him, I practically had to take a ticket :roll: .......

:oops: ok, back to the topic :oops: ...........